PDA

View Full Version : Only damaged on one side...why?

Kaelee
July 20th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I have almost no damage in my hair. Except for the left side of my face, a thin strip (less than 1" wide). It's also lighter, but my hair has always been naturally lighter around my face.

I don't know what could be causing it. I have more short hairs (breakage?) and many many splits there (I S&D'd them. Note to self: don't scratch your ear while holding scissors, you'll lose 10 hairs too many. :D Glad it wasn't more. Lesson learned!)

I don't heat style, and I tend to sleep on my right side, not usually my left. What's going on? Could it be the way I twist my hair when I put it up? (I'm right handed, so tend to twist the same direction every time).

Miss Maisie
July 20th, 2012, 10:48 PM
If I wear my hair down a lot, I get damage in the front on the side where my purse strap rests on my shoulder. Could that be it?

Kaelee
July 20th, 2012, 11:15 PM
I think I actually found my answer...I caught myself absent mindedly twirling that side a few minutes ago! I probably do that a lot. :D Now, I gotta stop that!

petali
July 20th, 2012, 11:18 PM
That reminds me of my hair... I have two sections on my right and left side that have a lot of breakage. When I was small, my hair went in my mouth a lot.

Kaelee
July 20th, 2012, 11:20 PM
That reminds me of my hair... I have two sections on my right and left side that have a lot of breakage. When I was small, my hair went in my mouth a lot.

Mine too! My mom forcibly gave me a bowl cut because I wouldn't stop chewing on my hair! :D

petali
July 20th, 2012, 11:28 PM
My mom gave me really short bangs because of it.:p

Deborah
July 21st, 2012, 12:33 AM
It's probably your twirling that causes the damage. The other possibility is that maybe you mostly sleep on that side. If so, just try to switch back and forth so that you sleep on both sides, not only on the left.

Amber_Maiden
July 21st, 2012, 01:19 AM
Maybe it's from sleeping on one side more?

Iolanthe13
July 21st, 2012, 05:15 AM
Do you drive a lot? It could be from one side of your hair being exposed to more sun.

Kaelee
July 21st, 2012, 08:34 AM
I usually sleep on the OTHER side!

Yea I do drive pretty much. I thought of that, not sure what to do about it.

jacqueline101
July 21st, 2012, 08:41 AM
It could be from anything. Twirling it more purse or bag on it or sleeping on it more.

cwarren
July 21st, 2012, 11:09 AM
Do you have different textures in your hair? You could be catering to the to the texture/type that is dominant. Is the damaged area finer? Curlier? More porous?

Try to be gentle with the damage until you find out.

Kaelee
July 21st, 2012, 11:15 AM
Do you have different textures in your hair? You could be catering to the to the texture/type that is dominant. Is the damaged area finer? Curlier? More porous?

It might be finer, but it's hard to tell because all of my hair is pretty fine.

It's not long enough to get caught in a purse strap. that spot is barely chin length (long bangs).

neko_kawaii
July 21st, 2012, 01:47 PM

It might be finer, but it's hard to tell because all of my hair is pretty fine.

It's not long enough to get caught in a purse strap. that spot is barely chin length (long bangs).

My nape hairs are that way. They are coarser and when the moon is in the right phase and Mars is retrograde they curl. They also have more split ends than the rest of my hair combined AND they are just barely long enough for me to see to S&D.

I did S&D the other day and found many more splits on the right side than the left. The only thing I can think is that I normally start S&D on the left side and probably don't do as thorough a job by the time I get to the right side but this time I started on the right and by the time I got to the left the light was fading which contributed to seeing fewer splits as well . . . and I'm rambling.

Good luck figuring out what it is!

cwarren
July 21st, 2012, 06:58 PM
My nape hairs are that way. They also have more split ends than the rest of my hair combined AND they are just barely long enough for me to see to S&D.

A lot of people have damaged nape hairs. My nape hairs are just now growing out. Before I couldn't even see it when I wanted to S&D. My sister had to do it for me. It's the hair that rubs against the collar of your clothes, it's constantly being pulled whenever you do updos and pony tails, it rubs against chair/couch backs and soap occasionally dries it out when you wash your neck and aren't careful.

MandyBeth
July 21st, 2012, 07:19 PM
Any high piercings in that ear? I'm always picking hair off my piercings. They aren't damaged, but if you wear standard earrings, they could cause damage.

arcane
July 21st, 2012, 08:46 PM
I twirl the left side piece of my hair a lot. I'm trying to get out of the habit as before my big chop this one piece of hair was a good 2 inches shorter than it's counter part on the other side! It's hard when you don't even realize you do it, I asked my partner to point out when I'm doing it so I can stop myself.