PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feel guilty if go a day without..

arabian_princes
July 20th, 2012, 05:51 PM
:eyebrows:Last month I was alone in the house so I could experiment with whatever I wanted to really from onion treatments to mustard oil to vatika.

Now I'm back at my parents house it's hard as most of the treatments I do are overnight ones and as a rule usually the better they are the more toxic smelling they stench!

Going a few days without using any treatments for my hair makes it dry and makes me feel guilty.:mad: I think it's a psychologic thing mostly as I imagine my hair 'drinking' the oils when I have them on, when maybe they're not relly doing anything.:poot:

Does anyone feel guilty if they stop using products for a while?:spitting:

Also how do you feel about doing the treatments infront of your brothers/sisters/husbands? I don't want to be referred to as the onion girl in the house.
:cheese:

My father is so cute though he was helping me make the onion paste the other day (first time trial).

MeowScat
July 20th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I always feel guilty if I'm not doing something beneficial for my hair. It's a weird, self-imposed guilt trip and I feel like my poor helpless hair is suffering and starving.

So to compensate, I'll wear it in an updo or a sleepcap to, at least, protect it.

Sometimes I'll oil my hair when DH is home but I try to do it when he's at work since I look like a greaseball. I don't like to do a deep conditioning treatment when he's home since I wear a plastic bag and two knit hats on my head. Not attractive at all. I know he'd just giggle and say, "Awww" but I just can't let him see me looking that ridiculous. I'm way too self conscious.

TheMechaGinger
July 20th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I always feel terrible about not pre-oiling my hair before washing :(

spidermom
July 20th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Not at all. I hate experimenting. I wish I didn't even have to wash it (but I do).

littlestarface
July 20th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Not at all. I hate experimenting. I wish I didn't even have to wash it (but I do).
I second this ^ i hate having to do anything with my hair.

dwell_in_safety
July 20th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I don't feel guilty. The most treatment my hair ever gets is a deep oiling once every other week/every other wash. This week it got three because I swam in the ocean three times and used coconut oil to keep it protected from the salt water. Feels amazing! But I don't ever feel guilty for not treating it. I'm very much a follower of benign neglect. I know my hair appreciates being up every day, so that's what I do, but as far as treatments go... I'm just too lazy, honestly.

Bene
July 20th, 2012, 08:37 PM
No. I don't keep a hair schedule, I barely remember to wash my hair. It's happy if I mess with it, it's happy if I don't mess with it, it's happy if I forget to loose braid it before falling asleep and I wake up with a fork half sticking out.

Of all the things in the world to feel guilty about, this? :laugh:

littlestarface
July 20th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Also how do you feel about doing the treatments infront of your brothers/sisters/husbands? I don't want to be referred to as the onion girl in the house.
:cheese:

My father is so cute though he was helping me make the onion paste the other day (first time trial).
I forgot to answer this part,,I would feel alittle embaressed about doing treatments in front of everyone,,espessialy my husband :o so when im around him I dont do it,,or I wash my hair if hes with me. But hes in sa3udi at the moment so I can do anything I want now loool,,with my hair that is:lol:

blondie9912
July 20th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Gosh, yes! I forgot my coconut oil at my grandparents house and actually apologized to my hair when I found out, LOL! I wouldn't mind if it was a random hair experiment that I had forgotten, but coconut oil is pretty much the most important thing in my routine. I've been subbing in olive oil, but it's not the same for me

sun-kissed
July 20th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I don't feel guilty.. the only time I neglect my hair is for holidays or vacation, because I won't have my over-protective nature about my hair ruin my chances for fun. I'm naughty for a few days, then I'm back to pampering the heck out of it.

As for my bizarre treatments, I can't keep them to myself! Sure, I try not to be seen sneaking vinegar, honey and applesauce into the bathroom on wash-days, but sooner or later I'm bound to chatter about it to someone in my family. They've accepted that I'm insane at this point, and it's normal.

spirals
July 20th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I think I'd feel guilty if I spent too much time on my hair. Seemingly innocuous things can become all-consuming for me, and I have to watch that.

march_sun
July 20th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I don't feel guilty, but I don't really have a set schedule. I wash when it feels dirty,and greasy, oil when it's dry, etc.

I'm not self conscious about Oiling or deep conditioning in front of my husband.

arabian_princes
July 20th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I don't feel guilty. The most treatment my hair ever gets is a deep oiling once every other week/every other wash. This week it got three because I swam in the ocean three times and used coconut oil to keep it protected from the salt water. Feels amazing! But I don't ever feel guilty for not treating it. I'm very much a follower of benign neglect. I know my hair appreciates being up every day, so that's what I do, but as far as treatments go... I'm just too lazy, honestly.

That's amazing. Which ocean. I noticed my hair likes the sea I didn't know should be protected with oil though from beforehand

arabian_princes
July 20th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I forgot to answer this part,,I would feel alittle embaressed about doing treatments in front of everyone,,espessialy my husband :o so when im around him I dont do it,,or I wash my hair if hes with me. But hes in sa3udi at the moment so I can do anything I want now loool,,with my hair that is:lol:

That's nice. Are you from Saudi Arabia yourself. Didn't see many arab girls on the forum

arabian_princes
July 20th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Gosh, yes! I forgot my coconut oil at my grandparents house and actually apologized to my hair when I found out, LOL! I wouldn't mind if it was a random hair experiment that I had forgotten, but coconut oil is pretty much the most important thing in my routine. I've been subbing in olive oil, but it's not the same for me

That's hilarious. Coconut does it better than olive for me aswell

arabian_princes
July 20th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I don't feel guilty.. the only time I neglect my hair is for holidays or vacation, because I won't have my over-protective nature about my hair ruin my chances for fun. I'm naughty for a few days, then I'm back to pampering the heck out of it.

As for my bizarre treatments, I can't keep them to myself! Sure, I try not to be seen sneaking vinegar, honey and applesauce into the bathroom on wash-days, but sooner or later I'm bound to chatter about it to someone in my family. They've accepted that I'm insane at this point, and it's normal.

Your hair is upto your waist so that's quite long. Post a picture :) Would love to see it

auburntressed
The only thing that gives me a twinge is if I go out without my hair up. And it doesn't make me feel guilty so much as paranoid that every movement is damaging my precious hair. Therefore, I just don't go out with it down. Even in a rush, it takes about two seconds to do a bun.

As for "skipping" deep treatments or the like, it doesn't bother me at all. I do them mostly for relaxation in the first place, rather than for benefits.

arabian_princes
I think I'd feel guilty if I spent too much time on my hair. Seemingly innocuous things can become all-consuming for me, and I have to watch that.

First time I've heard of using sunflower oil. Is it the same one used for cooking? I tried once took ages to get out.

spirals
July 20th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Yes, I found it on the cooking oil aisle. There was refined and unrefined. I got the latter. My hair just eats oil. I put some in yesterday and can't smell it at this point. I only tried it because all I had on hand were sunflower oil and olive oil, and olive seemed like it would be heavy. I found a good one on the first try.

Deborah
July 20th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Nope. I don't do anything except brush it and put it in a bun six days of the week, then on just one day I wash it as simply as possible, usually CO, never shampoo, ending with a citric acid rinse. Nothing else.

I hate fussing with my hair. I can do two easy buns, and if I'm lucky I can manage the occasional French twist. That's plenty for me.

christine1989
July 20th, 2012, 11:33 PM
I'm the total opposite; I feel guilty if I mess with it too much. This month I hennaed 3 times and did a bunch of oil treatments. I felt bad because I have to go though so much SLS shampoo to get that stuff out. Sometimes I suspect it does more harm than good when all is said and done.

Avital88
July 21st, 2012, 12:54 AM
oh yes i know how you feel, im living with my mum since recently and she has a ocd in cleaning , if i will try oils or henna she freaks out and is affraid i will bring too much chaos in her cleaning routine so i really cant do much,only when i know she will be away for a few hours and i have time to put everything back in place exactly how it was i will take the risk.
My hair needs good pampering now more than ever though..

oktobergoud
July 21st, 2012, 02:44 AM
I live alone so I can do whatever I want :D

But, lately, I'm a sort of benign neglect mode. Sometimes I don't use conditioner (but a leave-in, I have chin length hair though!) and I sort of feel guilty. But my hair looks so much better that way!

prettykitty
July 21st, 2012, 02:52 AM
Not really. I have my routine, most treatments are just habit. I just try to love my hair and care for it as best I can :shrug:

FrannyG
July 21st, 2012, 03:29 AM
No, I don't feel guilty about anything regarding my hair. I have my wash routine, oil it a bit and that's it. I do a deep treatment only if I feel like it.

I think that I was more obsessed when I first joined, but I'm well over that now.

I would never be putting onions in my hair, let alone overnight. My poor husband! :)

CurlyCurves
July 21st, 2012, 04:05 AM
I always feel really bad if I don't do my weekly DC or neglect my curls :laugh:

Loviatar
July 21st, 2012, 09:04 AM
Nope, I don't feel guilty. I feel a bit guilty if I do something and it doesn't work well, like my recent heavy oiling failure which made me feel I needed to wash my hair 3 times to get the oil out - but that's more of an 'oops, fail' moment than an 'oh god my poor hair, how can I mistreat you so' moment. :D

I do take a lot of my frustrations out on my hair, which does make me feel guilty. I have been known to shred my hair with over-brushing and yanking on tangles to deliberately cause pain when I feel bad about other things. That's not good.

I don't really like experimenting even though I do so much of it. I would like to be able to just wash with a bar, air dry and go. Oh well. :)

Ticky
July 21st, 2012, 09:35 AM
No, I don't feel guilty. It's neglected most of the time. My current routine works, so I don't experiment much.

domisimone
July 21st, 2012, 09:40 AM
I always feel guilty if I'm not doing something beneficial for my hair. It's a weird, self-imposed guilt trip and I feel like my poor helpless hair is suffering and starving.

So to compensate, I'll wear it in an updo or a sleepcap to, at least, protect it.

Sometimes I'll oil my hair when DH is home but I try to do it when he's at work since I look like a greaseball. I don't like to do a deep conditioning treatment when he's home since I wear a plastic bag and two knit hats on my head. Not attractive at all. I know he'd just giggle and say, "Awww" but I just can't let him see me looking that ridiculous. I'm way too self conscious.

My dad is like that. My parents are divorced so I only really do my hair at my mom's house. At my dad's house I may do an overnight DT, but I apply it right before bed and rinse it out before I come down for breakfast in the morning. If I shampoo and it's dripping wet I wrap my head in a towel and walk around, and he teases me for that, but I don't care.
At my moms house I do all the hair stuff I want. I would feel guilty if I couldn't play with my hair at her house, because then my hair would really suffer.

vanillabones
July 21st, 2012, 09:41 AM
I don't feel guilty when I don't, I just feel good about it when I do :)

justgreen
July 21st, 2012, 09:41 AM
Nope don't feel guilty at all. If I do remember to do anything, it's generally an overnight treatment using 50/50 conditioner/Honey on freshly washed damp hair, with a plastic shower cap on. Haven't even done that in quite a while.

Mischamiu
July 22nd, 2012, 09:28 AM
I don't really care doing treatments around my family they are used to it it and think it's funny but if I use, let's say honey, I need to put everything back in place and clean it up.
As for playing with it and doing lots of treatments for me its the opposite my hair is fine and looks very bad if I put tons of stuff in it so I try to limit the products and put on the right amount...

jacqueline101
July 22nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
I'm unique I love experimenting. I like to do new things to my hair. I'm also in the middle of one. I feel guilty if I forget one part of my ritual.

Idjit
July 22nd, 2012, 10:00 AM
I don't really have a routine anymore. I wash when dirty, condition when it feels rough, etc. So I don't feel guilty when I miss a treatment since I just do them whenever. I find I feel kind of bad when I get in the mood to experiment and I end up doing all this weird stuff to my hair only for it to feel exactly the same when I'm done. That's mostly why I don't do treatments anymore. And I'm lazy.:p

My family is used to seeing me walk around the house with a towel on my head. And I get an eye roll every once in a while when someone is looking for the salt or honey and I inform them it's in the bathroom but it seems to me that they have accepted that I am crazy. :rolleyes: When my boyfriend and I move in together I don't plan on hiding any of my habits from him. Be it hair stuff, hygiene, bathing, whathaveyou. He already knows most of it. I don't see what there is to be embarrassed about.:)

earthnut
July 22nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
No. I consider "benign neglect" to be good for my hair too. ;) That's when I get the most growth.

And I'm not ashamed to do any of my routines in front of others. It helps that I don't have a very judgmental family. They usually think it's interesting, we both joke about it if it's something weird, and maybe I've educated them a little about hair care. :D

IndigoOptimist
July 22nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
I don't feel guilty as such, but I do miss the feeling of DTed hair :) I also like experimenting. Tbh, I feel worse when I haven't toned/tinted my hair, or when I haven't done a honey treatment in a while. I like changing my hair's tone and colour :) It looks boring and flat if I let it go completely natural in colour :thud:
As for dooing treatment in front of people, I don't really give a crap. I've dyed and deep treated my hair when I lived with my mum many a time. Now I live with my boyfriend and his parents and still do my normal hair routine. His sister came over the other day though when I had honey and cinnamon in my hair. She was a little confused by that one :laugh: