PDA

View Full Version : Can your hair really split all the way up?

anime_length
July 20th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I have a couple split ends, who doesn't? But can they really split up the whole length? That sounds... untrue. Wouldn't they just break off at some point?

auburntressed
July 20th, 2012, 03:47 PM
If your individual hairs are coarse enough, I think it possibly COULD. Then again - I think it far more likely that splits will break before getting that high. Particularly if your hair is longer than SL. But then you'd.be left with a hair that has an exposed center, and that would make it really easy to become damaged that way.

Madora
July 20th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Yes, they can! Just like a run in a stocking. Of course many of them either break off, or even more splits appear somewhere else on the strand.

Paranda Belle
July 20th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I think everyone's split ends behave differently. Mine have never been longer than a centimeter and I don't trim.

pepperminttea
July 20th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I've had a few long splits, but for me the main problem is more that once you've got a split, and it breaks off, it leaves behind another split, which then eventually breaks off too, leaves yet another split, and the cycle continues. Left unchecked all those little splits can add up to quite a lot of damaged length.

spidermom
July 20th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Didn't somebody ask this exact question a couple of weeks ago?

I've now seen a picture of a hair split all the way up to near the root, but usually I think it tends to split and break off, split and break off, split and break off until you either catch it and cut off the damaged portion or it sheds out naturally.