PDA

View Full Version : Air-Drying Without Touching?

johnnystiletto
July 20th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Happy Friday!!

I've been reading some older posts about air-drying without touching the hair at all - how exactly does this work/how does it benefit the hair?

I CO, and have always air-dried, but I'd gently comb the hair with a wide-toothed comb every 5-10 minutes or so until my hair was dry. Then, once my hair was about 80% or so dry, I'd add in some coconut oil. I've always had a LITTLE frizz, though, but I've always just assumed it was due to our awful Alabama humidity :D

I'd like to try this no-touch air-drying, since MAYBE it will bring out the tiny bit of wave in my hair, but was curious how you all do it. Do you detangle with a comb in the shower first? Squeeze out the excess water? Wrap in a towel? I guess I need a how-to, REALLY dumbed down.

Thanks in advance!!

firegypsy
July 20th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I air dry without touching simply because a. hair is at it's most fragile when wet and b. my hair is super fragile to begin with.

Waiting until it's almost dry to comb it means that more hairs stay intact.

I wrap in a turban out of the shower, then just leave it alone until almost dry. I do not comb in the shower. I do not finger comb either.

raingirl
July 20th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I'm curious too. Does it make your hair less frizzy I wonder? I am always running my fingers through my hair as it dries....

johnnystiletto
July 20th, 2012, 01:41 PM
My hair gets SUPER frizzy/poofy while it air dries - I'm curious if this will go away once my hair is COMPLETELY air-dried (if I do it without touching it).

Not touching my hair will be hard!!

Madora
July 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I suppose if you just want to go for a "drip dry" approach with no manipulation at all, you could see what you come out with.

For me, that's out of the question as I have to remove any tangles before my hair dries, plus I loathe wet hair and have my own method for gently drying long hair quickly and naturally:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=223

I've never noticed any detriment to my hair by drying in this manner. My waves always reappeared.

earthnut
July 20th, 2012, 01:46 PM
It's supposed to help with frizz, especially for wavies and curlies. And also for wavies and curlies it's supposed to help clump and define curls.

I attempt this, but it's hard especially if I have to drive anywhere or wear a coat... I don't have problems with tangles though, I do all my detangling pre and during the shower.

johnnystiletto
July 20th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I wrap in a turban out of the shower, then just leave it alone until almost dry. I do not comb in the shower. I do not finger comb either.

Thanks! I may have to try this on my NEXT wash (as today was wash day and I've been combing and combing as my hair dries).

SpinDance
July 20th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I was under the impression that the air drying without touching was for one of 2 things. Either to help determine hair type, or to let curls dry completely so they set and don't frizz. I detangle before washing, and afterwards I blot it with a linen or other smooth towel. I then let it hang loose on another smooth/linen towel to catch the drips.

firegypsy
July 20th, 2012, 01:58 PM
keep in mind that I don't have particularly long hair, which is probably (in part) why this works for me. I also have no wave to speak of.

anime_length
July 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I think this works well, however, I use a wide tooth comb in the shower to detangle. the only time i really comb it wet and out of the shower is when i'm parting my hair so it doesn't look awful when it's done drying.

AgnesONutter
July 20th, 2012, 02:15 PM
The problem is: my hair is both straight, in parts curly and in parts wavy. Not touching it at all creates a very...well, interesting look. Since the fine, blonde, straight hair ends up on top, and the few curls I have sort of form in between the waves.

Now, brushing or combing my hair while it is wet does remove most of the wave/curl from my hair. Personally, I prefer letting my hair dry until damp, then either braiding or putting my hair into pincurls, since it creates a nice, uniform, even texture once the hair has dried properly.

zombi
July 20th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I do the plop/plunk thing with a microfiber towel. When I take it down I just part it and then leave it alone -- if I touch or comb my hair it wrecks my wave pattern and just looks very, er, ugly. I detangle in the shower only with lots and lots of conditioner!

I do have really thin hair though, so air drying doesn't take all that long.

HairySherry
July 20th, 2012, 02:22 PM
The problem is: my hair is both straight, in parts curly and in parts wavy. Not touching it at all creates a very...well, interesting look. Since the fine, blonde, straight hair ends up on top, and the few curls I have sort of form in between the waves.

This is my problem as well, and the main reason I don't air dry. It is just... not pretty. But I've begun to see how much blow-drying dries my hair out so I'd like to start letting it air dry more.

Madora your "fanning" method is intriguing. I will have to try that out!

spidermom
July 20th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Usually I give my hair a good combing/brushing before I wash it standing upright under the shower. Then I drop my hair down the back into doubled flannel pillow cases, twist the pillow cases tight in the front, and secure with a claw clip. After awhile I remove the pillow cases and just let my hair hang dry while I watch Netflix or work at the computer.

Sometimes I drop my hair into the space above my pillow if I wash it before going to sleep. It's never dry in the morning.

johnnystiletto
July 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Usually I give my hair a good combing/brushing before I wash it standing upright under the shower. Then I drop my hair down the back into doubled flannel pillow cases, twist the pillow cases tight in the front, and secure with a claw clip. After awhile I remove the pillow cases and just let my hair hang dry while I watch Netflix or work at the computer.

Sometimes I drop my hair into the space above my pillow if I wash it before going to sleep. It's never dry in the morning.

Pillowcases - what a GREAT idea! Might have to steal that idea :)

ratgirldjh
July 20th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I do this to some extent.

I wrap my wet hair in a towel til it is just damp and then take off the towel and kind of swing it out of my face and leave it til it dries totally.

I've noticed that my hair goes through several stages. At first it doesn't look frizzy at all (unless I wash with clay) then after a bit I notice it looks very frizzy and like it is going to be a mess when it dries and then all of a sudden all the frizz goes away and it looks like all the hairs are stuck in tiny little groups of hairs! Then finally when all dry it just looks back to normal!

My hair rarely tangles and sometimes I don't bother combing at all - but usually I fingercomb when fully dry or almost fully dry and put it up in a bun.

Sometimes I will just put my wet hair up in a bun on my head and let it go through these stages up there and then take it down during the last stage or so.

This probably doesn't make sense! I guess I pay too much attention to my hair!
:D

Ginger Kitteh
July 20th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Well, I have been trying to do this lately. I coat my hair in conditioner before I wash (conditioner afterwards makes it look limp) and then I gently comb it out. I wash it and rinse it without tangling it up. When I get out of the shower, I usually part it without combing, and then gently take a T-shirt and dry it a little by scrunching upwards and holding it.

I guess that is manipulation, but I don't comb it because 1) there is no conditioner to lube the strands, and 2) it takes some of the waves and curls out. When I dry my hair gently like that, I feel like I am putting the pattern back in that the water weighed down.

I think the version for those with straight hair is to take their hair in a ponytail and squeeze the T-shirt or microfiber towel down its length. I don't see any harm in this method, but you never know! Someone with more knowledge is bound to tell me otherwise :D.

heyshortyhey
July 20th, 2012, 07:49 PM
It can be hard not to touch your hair, but I got used to it pretty fast. My hair is very thick and takes FOREVER to dry, so I wring it out good in the shower, then wring it out again with a towel, then slap some conditioner in and do some gentle finger combing (less coming, more just slightly "fluffing" the hair so it isn't one big clump), and go about my business.

johnnystiletto
July 20th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I've noticed that my hair goes through several stages. At first it doesn't look frizzy at all (unless I wash with clay) then after a bit I notice it looks very frizzy and like it is going to be a mess when it dries and then all of a sudden all the frizz goes away and it looks like all the hairs are stuck in tiny little groups of hairs! Then finally when all dry it just looks back to normal!

OK, this is what happens to me, but I always get freaked out by the frizz and then break out the comb. I guess I need to just tie my hands together or something (not really) and just NOT TOUCH my hair, and maybe it will be one of those "looks worse before it looks better" scenarios! Thanks!

Tia2010
July 20th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I air dry without (much) touching.

I shower, then I comb it through using a wide tooth comb, put it in a turbie for about 15 minutes...then take it down and try my hardest not to touch it :) Then when it's dry I brush through it to smooth the wave.

It's hard not to touch it when it's drying because I HATE the way it looks and feels while it dries...It looks like it's going to be a frizzy, awful mess....but in the end it always turns out nice.

Not touching it really helps cuts down on my frizz.

misspriss
July 20th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I get in the shower, wash my hair and put conditioner in, but don't rinse it out in the way out. I finger comb it in the shower, scrunch a bit, plop, then finish my shower and dry off. After a bit, I let my hair down and don't touch it. It always looks flat, then frizzy and awful looking, then finally dries good. It looks so bad when it is half dry, but if you wait it out it looks good.

Usually, I wash my hair at night, so the "no touch dry" occurs while I am sleeping. The pillow used to flatten my hair when it was shorter, but now that it is longer it turns out really well. I wore my hair down for the first time in a long time yesterday and today. I think it was the Shea Moisture shampoo I tried the first time. Very nice.

CurlyCurves
July 21st, 2012, 04:29 AM
As I am a curly, I have to airdry without touching or I get either frizzy hair, or poofy hair with no definition. As I like my natural curl pattern to come out and play, I have to let it dry without disturbing it. This is because the curls need to clump together, and messing with them messes them up.

This is my typical routine;

1. Detangle with conditioner in the shower. Put hair up and wash body.
2. Get out of the shower without rinsing. Go upstairs, cream body, get dressed.
3. Come back downstairs and rinse out conditioner with cold water. Leave it soaking wet and grab my towel.
4. Gently scrunch upwards with towel until water is removed enough to not drip, but to still be wet. My curls need to look clumped. If not, I'll rinse again.
5. Stand up, flip hair back and try my darned best not to disturb anything until it dries. It's usually best to do all of this before you need to go out. If I do this and go straight to work, my hair gets ruined because of the bloody wind.

I use this towel;

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/479948_4371981818129_1274650955_n.jpg

:) it's a PVA towel. I suggest you get one!

CurlyCurves
July 21st, 2012, 04:37 AM
Oh, I also use this method if I wash my hair at night. It gives me decent enough curls. Idea stolen from Curlycap :D

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/555743_4365412733906_1316397048_n.jpg

MonaMayfair
July 21st, 2012, 05:25 AM
I air dry without touching simply because a. hair is at it's most fragile when wet and b. my hair is super fragile to begin with.

Waiting until it's almost dry to comb it means that more hairs stay intact.

That's the way I do it too.

ravenheather
July 21st, 2012, 06:42 AM
My hair also looks terrible halfway dry. If I resist the urge to mess with it, it comes out much better. My wave pattern is very weak and manipulation will pull almost all the waves out.

HintOfMint
July 21st, 2012, 07:23 AM
I should do this to preserve the waves, but I'm a chronic hair-petter. It's a comfort thing/habit, I have to touch my hair

jacqueline101
July 21st, 2012, 07:28 AM
I do a partial drip dry get the excess water out and dry on its own the rest of the way.

johnnystiletto
July 23rd, 2012, 01:02 PM
Wish me luck, everyone!

Today is wash day; just got out of the shower, and I'm sitting here resisting the urge to touch my hair. After I CO'd, I rinsed, GENTLY squeezed out the excess water, wrapped up in a turban while I got dressed, and now I'm just leaving it down on top of the towel.

My hair is in 4 distinct "clumps" right now. It's taking all of my willpower not to rake my fingers or a comb through them!

johnnystiletto
July 23rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
My hair also looks terrible halfway dry. If I resist the urge to mess with it, it comes out much better. My wave pattern is very weak and manipulation will pull almost all the waves out.

ravenheather, you're a 1c/2a like me - manipulating definitely pulls my waves out as well!

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Wish me luck, everyone!

Today is wash day; just got out of the shower, and I'm sitting here resisting the urge to touch my hair. After I CO'd, I rinsed, GENTLY squeezed out the excess water, wrapped up in a turban while I got dressed, and now I'm just leaving it down on top of the towel.

My hair is in 4 distinct "clumps" right now. It's taking all of my willpower not to rake my fingers or a comb through them!

how did it go???

Silverbrumby
July 27th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Thanks! I may have to try this on my NEXT wash (as today was wash day and I've been combing and combing as my hair dries).

My hair frizzes like crazy just hair drying. The only thing that controls it at the moment is wet bunning.

Silverbrumby
July 27th, 2012, 09:00 PM
ravenheather, you're a 1c/2a like me - manipulating definitely pulls my waves out as well!

Love to hear how it goes. Also when it doesn't frizz my hair dries in these weird curls while don't look all that good, sort of stringy.

Silverbrumby
July 27th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I suppose if you just want to go for a "drip dry" approach with no manipulation at all, you could see what you come out with.

For me, that's out of the question as I have to remove any tangles before my hair dries, plus I loathe wet hair and have my own method for gently drying long hair quickly and naturally:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=223

I've never noticed any detriment to my hair by drying in this manner. My waves always reappeared.

Trying your method tonight.

KwaveT
July 28th, 2012, 05:54 AM
I am relatively new to this. I detangle and get excess sheds out before I do anything. This is done with my hair dry. I shampoo above ears and rinse out. I conditioner my entire head up to just short of scalp line to reduce shedding. I rinse that out. I do shampo and conditioner in front of bathroom mirror so I only apply those where I want them. I get floor wet with puddles but I soak water off floor with a towel when I am finished. With my hair dripping wet smooth my sides and front to how I want it to dry without disturbing the clumping. I wait until my body dries because I drip dry my body too. This takes about five to ten minutes. I put my pull-over shirt on and button the two or three buttons. I put it on in a way that least disturbs the hair. Gently release the hair from under the shirt. Let it airdry. My hair spirals in the back so there's going to some minor looking frizz. That is what curls do. At least my curls are defined and not exploded all over the place because I detangle before wetting the hair.

XcaliburGirl
July 28th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Do any of you who do this successfully use any sort of leave-in, oil, or product, or just rinse-out conditioner? Every time I've tried this, my hair is super frizzy. I've gotten much better results from finger-combing as it dries, but then my waves are kind of weak. As it dries I can see some spirals forming, but the whole thing ends up so frizzy that I have to comb it out.

julliams
July 28th, 2012, 07:27 AM
If I put my hands in my hair whilst airdrying, I'm tempted to rake through a wurl which in turn poofs it out and looks frizzy. I like my waves to sit in clumps so not touching it allows it to dry like this.

Basically I wash and condition, put it up in a microfibre towel for 5 min, take it down, comb it out and put whatever leave-in I want, use my microfibre towel to scrunch in my curls if I want them, or just leave it as is if I want less wave.

If I want a really smooth top, I damp bun and take it down once the crown is dry.

Amber_Maiden
July 28th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I brush my hair before I shower, or before I have my bath (I find washing my hair in the bathtub tangles it less), then I wash/condition it, and wrap it up in a t-shirt for about 10min, then leave it down with a bit of oil in it- I get curly waves.

Lostsoule77
July 28th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Funny, but I was thinking about starting a thread about this because I just don't get how to dry without touching when it takes so long to dry.

I detangle with my fingers before a shower, shampoo scalp, rinse, condition and comb through with a wide tooth comb, then rinse it out, & do a final rinse with cold water. Then I apply a little more conditioner as a leave in, comb through while it's still dripping wet, scrunch, and hope for the best. I however have to get dressed and sit, etc. :p

I thought no touching meant NO touching! Now that I see you all use a microfiber or similar I'll have to try that. Thanks. :D

Btw way, my siggy pic is the result of my current method, but it only works that well about 50% of the time. Then again I only wear my hair down about 4 times a month.

misspriss
July 28th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Do any of you who do this successfully use any sort of leave-in, oil, or product, or just rinse-out conditioner? Every time I've tried this, my hair is super frizzy. I've gotten much better results from finger-combing as it dries, but then my waves are kind of weak. As it dries I can see some spirals forming, but the whole thing ends up so frizzy that I have to comb it out.

I use rinse out conditioner, but I don't rinse it out all the way on the length. Sometimes I use a bit of gel, sometimes I don't.

anodyne_ame
July 28th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I thought no touching meant NO touching as well :D

I usually don't touch my hair while it's drying, it dries fast enough for me to resist the temptation to rake my fingers through it and sort of shake it around (I admit I do this when I'm in a hurry)....but I do get a lot of frizz, all the time, and ridiculous breakage if I even think about brushing.

I've always been under the impression that leaving damp hair sit inside a towel was a bad thing, but apparently those of you who do that don't get damage? If so I'm very tempted to try this! I have a very tiny wave, but mostly I'm just annoyed by the frizz.

julliams
July 28th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I think the idea is that you get it to how you like it and then you don't touch it. If you didn't touch it at all once you stepped out of the shower you couldn't get the excess moisture out, put in a leave in or scrunch or style at all. Also if it were my hair it would take almost all day to dry from dripping wet.

MinderMutsig
July 29th, 2012, 02:24 AM
I can't do it. I know if I do it I have actual curls instead of just waves but I just can't do it. My hair takes hours to dry and I can't stand my hair down for hours especially not if I'm not allowed to touch it or rearrange it and it's wet so it sticks to my face, my shoulders and my back. I'd go insane.

My regular drying method is leave it down until I'm going nuts and then I put it up and alternate up, down and parted down the middle so the back of my head can dry. I usually wash in the morning and if I leave it down untouched until dry it will literally take all day and I would still have a damp spot at the back of my head by the time I go to bed. The curly girl method is a two day project for me and by the second day those nice curls that formed while airdrying untouched are squashed by sleeping on them even if I pineapple.

For some reason my hair also seems to dry a lot slower if I leave it curly while if I put it up for a while and then leave it down again things get straightened out it will dry in a matter of hours.

johnnystiletto
July 29th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Sorry for not updating - I was on vacation, which meant NO computer for me!!

I did the air-drying method, which was HARD! I kept wanting SO BADLY to touch my hair, but I didn't. Eventually the giant clumps that my hair formed dried, and my slight wave was more defined. However, once I gently combed my dry hair, the waves were gone, and I just had sort of unkempt-looking hair :(

BUT, after air-drying without touching, I had much less frizz, and SO much more body. My hair was HUGE (for me)! That being said, it took so long to dry and looked so weird, that I'm going back to my usual method, which involves me GENTLY detangling as the hair dries. I also kind of twist my hair into 2 big twists while drying (it's just a weird habit), which gives me these lovely spirals just at the end of my hair.

Since I oil with coconut oil, I'm not worried as much about frizz while drying, since the oil always seems to help with that. I won't have as much body as I did while air-drying, but, as I almost ALWAYS wear my hair up, it's a non-issue.

I'll probably still experiment with air-drying and different levels of touch or no-touch, and will keep everyone posted!

johnnystiletto
July 29th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Love to hear how it goes. Also when it doesn't frizz my hair dries in these weird curls while don't look all that good, sort of stringy.

This is basically what happened to me :(

Silverbrumby
July 29th, 2012, 08:19 AM

I did the air-drying method, which was HARD! I kept wanting SO BADLY to touch my hair, but I didn't. Eventually the giant clumps that my hair formed dried, and my slight wave was more defined. However, once I gently combed my dry hair, the waves were gone, and I just had sort of unkempt-looking hair :(

BUT, after air-drying without touching, I had much less frizz, and SO much more body. My hair was HUGE (for me)! That being said, it took so long to dry and looked so weird, that I'm going back to my usual method, which involves me GENTLY detangling as the hair dries. I also kind of twist my hair into 2 big twists while drying (it's just a weird habit), which gives me these lovely spirals just at the end of my hair.

Since I oil with coconut oil, I'm not worried as much about frizz while drying, since the oil always seems to help with that. I won't have as much body as I did while air-drying, but, as I almost ALWAYS wear my hair up, it's a non-issue.

I'll probably still experiment with air-drying and different levels of touch or no-touch, and will keep everyone posted!

Didnt work for me neither, left my hair in a weird state.

heidi w.
July 29th, 2012, 08:19 AM
If one is prone to frizz, I suggest that not manipulating the hair at all during air-drying might present an even worse frizz/poof factor. Ask just about any curly haired person; they know.

heidi w.

jojo
July 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I always air dry but find it I possible not to touch, my hair always looks better when I don't touch but I just can't help it!.....working on it though!

Lostsoule77
July 29th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I think the idea is that you get it to how you like it and then you don't touch it. If you didn't touch it at all once you stepped out of the shower you couldn't get the excess moisture out, put in a leave in or scrunch or style at all. Also if it were my hair it would take almost all day to dry from dripping wet.
Yeah, that's why I didn't understand how all of you could just not touch it! I've been only touching it for 30 seconds or so after I turn off the water. I put a little leave in, quick detangle & scrunch & then leave it. It drips for hours and takes all day to dry. I try to avoid touching it when I get dressed, but it soaks my clothes. I swish it behind a chair while I'm sitting so I don't squash it. I only wash once a week and only leave it down about 2 times a month, but it's a pain! :p:rolleyes::( Now I know I don't have to do all that and can get some of the moisture out first and still not get frizz! :D Yeah! (Have I ever mentioned how much I love this place?) :D

misspriss
July 29th, 2012, 06:32 PM

Oh, when I air dry for curls or waves, there is no combing, at all, ever. It destroys the clumps. I actually do not own a comb, I technically own a brush, but I lost it over a month ago and I don't miss it. I never used it anyway.

earthnut
July 29th, 2012, 06:51 PM

Oh yes, I leave in quiute a bit of conditioner.

earthnut
July 29th, 2012, 06:52 PM
If one is prone to frizz, I suggest that not manipulating the hair at all during air-drying might present an even worse frizz/poof factor. Ask just about any curly haired person; they know.

heidi w.

No way, it's the other way around. Messing with the hair while drying produces way more frizz than if I leave it alone.

earthnut
July 29th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I've found a new routine that works well for me. Wash in the evening, plop and pin the plop securely on the head, go to bed, take plop off in the morning. My hair dries much quicker this way and I still get curls. It sorta makes my satin pillowcase useless though... lol