PDA

View Full Version : addicted to brushing

raingirl
July 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I've been reading up more and more on how to deal with curly hair but I don't think I can do it because I'm addicted to brushing.

Anyone else have this issue or been able to break the habit?

I just LOVE how my hair feels so smooth and soft after brushing. I brush my hair all day long (before I leave for work, when I get on the train, when I get to work, several times all day long, after I get on my train home, etc etc).

I do have very wavy hair bordering on curly (my hairdresser can get it to go full on curly, not sure how though!) but I just hate how I can't brush it when it's that way! A few days ago I combed in the shower with a wide comb and only finger combed after and I was going nuts all day! Because my hair is ultra thin, even with curls I can feel the tangles and knots and it drives me bananas!

KatyD
July 20th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I have really fine hair also and love how it looks and feels after brushing. The only thing that stops me from brushing mine more is I worry about it breaking it off. But I read on here someone with really long hair brushes her hair 100 strokes a day. ???

ratgirldjh
July 20th, 2012, 01:20 PM
You could just brush at night before bed. Or right before washing. Then your curls will have time to re-set.

Amber_Maiden
July 20th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I used to brush quite a bit, but I just got too busy too brush :p Now I'm lucky if I brush it once a day! Get a hobby, and stop carrying your brush with you!

spirals
July 20th, 2012, 01:21 PM
It just feels soooo good on the scalp. I'm like a cat being petted. :lol: If you have loose curls you can get away with it by oiling your brush first. I use a padded paddle brush with wide-set bristles and start at the ends first. I have a spray oil; that's easier.

Madora
July 20th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I've been reading up more and more on how to deal with curly hair but I don't think I can do it because I'm addicted to brushing.

Anyone else have this issue or been able to break the habit?

I just LOVE how my hair feels so smooth and soft after brushing. I brush my hair all day long (before I leave for work, when I get on the train, when I get to work, several times all day long, after I get on my train home, etc etc).

I do have very wavy hair bordering on curly (my hairdresser can get it to go full on curly, not sure how though!) but I just hate how I can't brush it when it's that way! A few days ago I combed in the shower with a wide comb and only finger combed after and I was going nuts all day! Because my hair is ultra thin, even with curls I can feel the tangles and knots and it drives me bananas!

I'm not addicted to brushing but believe it is good for you, provided you do it properly (always detangle first and use a natural boar bristle brush. If you are truly a curly, then a wide tooth comb would be a more hair friendly option).

I'm a wavy myself and have been brushing for 4 decades. You derive the most benefit out of brushing if you do it the first thing in the morning, when you get up (it has something to do with your circulation being at its optimum at that time).

I also brush in the upside down position to allow for more circulation among the follicles.

If your hair is thin, then ease up on the brushing! Brush "X" number of strokes in the morning and "x" number at night. In between, use a wide tooth comb to keep any snarls at bay. Better still, wear your hair up and avoid tangles.

Brushing has so many benefits: exercises your hair follicles, removes dust/lint from your scalp, distributes your hair's natural sebum down the strands, and over time, leaves your hair soft and shiny.

earthnut
July 20th, 2012, 01:52 PM
There's nothing wrong with brushing, if you do it gently so as not to damage the hair, and you like the look. Brushing *can* damage hair if you're rough, especially going through tangles. But gentle brushing with a smooth tined brush is fine. BBB, wood, tangle teezer, and denman brushes can all be gentle and hair-friendly.

The main benefit to brushing (and why some do 100 strokes a day) is to massage and stimulate the scalp and distribute your natural oils onto the hair shaft. I find preening (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=181)my scalp just before a shower to be more effective and beneficial in that respect than brushing, because I have thick enough hair that it's hard for a brush to really be effective on my scalp. My fingers can go right where I need them!

If you want curls sometimes, water will re-set the curl pattern, and if you have a well moisturizing washing routine then you'll still have curl potential when you want it. Though brushing does break up curls and you may not get really defined, tight, shiny curls like someone who never brushes, brushing doesn't ruin your curls permanently.

RedheadMistress
July 20th, 2012, 03:30 PM
- Now that I read this, I feel that I too have this addiction, it makes me feel so good . I think it's partly because of the scalp massage the brush gives . . I just can't give up my ****ty plastic brush, sometimes I have to give my hair a nice brush . . but I make sure to detangle it first so the brush goes smoothly through my hair . .

If BBB's were vegan and free, I'd have one of those hehe . .

ravenheather
July 20th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I'm working on this too. One thing is that with co my hair doesn't tangle. Also if I don't touch at all will drying, then minimal finger combing doesn't pull the waves out too much. It is a process for me as I love smooth tangle free hair.