PDA

View Full Version : Covered Elastic bands not so bad...

PinkyCat
July 20th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I've never had a problem with them. I always make a nice smooth ponytail with one before I do any type of bun - and they all end up fine, perfectly centered and never loosen up.

I find they are a wonderful anchor for hair sticks, Ficcares and Flexi's so there isn't any uncomfortable tension on any strands of hair. I never have damage from them either.

Anyone else think they're not so evil?

sun-kissed
July 20th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I have noticeable damage from those bands (and I only use the softest, stretchiest, non-metal type I can find), even though I rarely wear them at all. :shrug:

Another problem I have with them (and a reason I cannot use them often) is that the central pulling of the hair gives me headaches. I tried wearing my hair in a simple middle-head pony this morning and had to take it down a very short time later.

If they aren't hurting your hair in any noticeable way, by all means use them. For me, they are evil. I'm currently trying out homemade stocking-bands, which hopefully will be much nicer to my hair for when I must use a band..

jojo
July 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I think all bands can cause damage to be honest, especially if they are worn in the same position every time. I can't remember the last time I wore one with a metal bit in the middle but I do believe these to be more harmful to hair, as they may slice the hair and cause damage. I prefer old fashioned scrunchies much softer and kinder to hair, even if I do look like an 80's reject : p

earthnut
July 20th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I avoid ones with metal, the metal will catch and pull at my hair. And the rubber or rubberized ones because those pull also and cause friction.

But as long as the whole thing is pretty soft and smooth, like most of them are nowadays, I never have any problem with them either. I think it might be a problem if you wear them everyday, in the same place, tightly, and/or if you have fine fragile hair. Since none of those apply to me, I don't get damage.

Now barrettes that snap closed ... those are a lot more damaging. :o

Kaelee
July 20th, 2012, 10:34 PM
These (http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Ouchless-Hair-Elastics-pieces/dp/B0007W89KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342845237&sr=8-1&keywords=ouchless+elastics) are the only ones I'll use and I so far have never had a problem with damage.

moltabella
July 24th, 2012, 07:35 PM
These (http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Ouchless-Hair-Elastics-pieces/dp/B0007W89KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342845237&sr=8-1&keywords=ouchless+elastics) are the only ones I'll use and I so far have never had a problem with damage.

i use those too! i also use these other goody "metal free non breakage" ribbed elastics that are a bit thicker..

i use them to secure my buns... they don't break off any hair when i take them off...

how would i know if it's damaging my hair or not?

Kyla
July 24th, 2012, 07:41 PM

I used to use those as well, and my sister and my DBF do currently (he's growing his hair out, although only enough to make a "man bun") I stopped doing ponytails over a year ago because for some reason it tangles up my hair really badly, so I don't know about the effects to my hair personally. However, both of them show visible signs of damage, and both of them have stronger hair than I do. There are a bunch of broken hairs where the ponytail rests.

I think they might be pulling them too tight, but just a warning that those can definitely cause damage.

akilina
July 24th, 2012, 07:45 PM
I used to use those as well, and my sister and my DBF do currently (he's growing his hair out, although only enough to make a "man bun") I stopped doing ponytails over a year ago because for some reason it tangles up my hair really badly, so I don't know about the effects to my hair personally. However, both of them show visible signs of damage, and both of them have stronger hair than I do. There are a bunch of broken hairs where the ponytail rests.

I think they might be pulling them too tight, but just a warning that those can definitely cause damage.
I have nothing excellent to say other than "man bun" made me LOL :D I am not hating here whatso ever, but it always makes me giggle to see men with french braids, or a bun, etc. Although I do like long hair on men.

Shepherdess
July 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM

I think that I have these same exact ones as well!

I have been thinking of using ribbons for my hair, but I haven't been able to find any in the stores. I remember my mom putting ribbons in my hair as a little girl, so I would really like to find some. Do you think ribbons would be gentler on the hair? They probably would fall out easier though.

Kyla
July 24th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I have nothing excellent to say other than "man bun" made me LOL :D I am not hating here whatso ever, but it always makes me giggle to see men with french braids, or a bun, etc. Although I do like long hair on men.

I know, I find it funny too. :p That reminds me, I actually french braided DBF's hair the other day! With two pig tails on the side. He let me as long as I promised not to upload a picture of it to Facebook.

Sorry for thread derailment!

Sarahlabyrinth
July 24th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I use the bright coloured fabric -y ones made for children, they are nice and soft. But even so I try not to use them very tightly or too often.

carolinaberry
July 24th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I bought some satin-covered scrunchies...and the tippy ends of my shortest layers ended up breaking off. To be fair, those ends were directly under the band, so where the most pressure was...but I was hoping I could use these for a while. I think for people without these super short layers the satiny scrunchies should be ok.

Kaelee
July 24th, 2012, 09:59 PM

I've used them for years and my hairdresser couldn't find any damage. :shrug: She was amazed. She had just got done lecturing me about ponytails causing damage and I said "I've worn one constantly for years. Even to bed." She was amazed!

Kyla
July 24th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I've used them for years and my hairdresser couldn't find any damage. :shrug: She was amazed. She had just got done lecturing me about ponytails causing damage and I said "I've worn one constantly for years. Even to bed." She was amazed!

That's great! :) My hair (and my sisters) is fairly prone to damage, and I suspect my DBF doesn't take great care for his when I'm not around, so that probably accounts for the damage they have experienced. I'm happy for you that your hair isn't damaged.

Rish
July 25th, 2012, 02:00 AM
I use fabric coated elastics with no metal on them and never have thinning or breakage with ponytails, I have been wearing my hair in a pony tail all my life, I think maybe it also depends on your hair type?

Shiranshoku
July 25th, 2012, 02:07 AM
I used to use the bad type all the time, never noticed any damage... I've changed to scrunchies and the fabric ones that look like they're knitted. I'm not willing to take the risk anymore :).

Sisgoldenhair65
July 25th, 2012, 06:07 AM
I use them for the sock bun I wear everyday. I have some hair sticks but I just detest the tiny buns I get when I use them. I looove big buns so I'll take my chances! The hair ties are the only damaging thing I am doing to my hair so I'm hoping it will be forgiving.

cobden 28
July 25th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I always use a simple length of ordinary haberdashery elastic - the sort often referred to as 'knicker elastic' - as it doesn't cause damage to my hair and it works out very economical.

Hair scrunchies are OK but they don't keep the loose ends of my hair tied back off my face properly if I use just the scrunchie by itself.

On top of the 'knicker elastic' ponytail band I do like to use a hair scrunchie, though, just because it looks nice. Doesn't cause any damage to the ends of my hair, though.

jacqueline101
July 25th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I like scrunchi or the hair elastics.

Scarlet_Heart
July 25th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I think that I have these same exact ones as well!

I have been thinking of using ribbons for my hair, but I haven't been able to find any in the stores. I remember my mom putting ribbons in my hair as a little girl, so I would really like to find some. Do you think ribbons would be gentler on the hair? They probably would fall out easier though.

You can find lots of ribbon in any craft or fabric store like Michael's, A.C. Moore, Joanne Fabrics... but you can even find them in the art/craft supply section at Walmart or places like that.

I use the covered elastics at night. I just do a quick twisty/messy bun with it. I don't notice any damage.

Shepherdess
July 25th, 2012, 03:01 PM
You can find lots of ribbon in any craft or fabric store like Michael's, A.C. Moore, Joanne Fabrics... but you can even find them in the art/craft supply section at Walmart or places like that.

I use the covered elastics at night. I just do a quick twisty/messy bun with it. I don't notice any damage.

Thank you! I'll have to look in one of those type of stores. :)

BrightEyes
July 25th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I use covered elastics a few times a week. So far I haven't noticed any damage (although I do prefer them to be a little stretched out so they don't fit so tightly on my pony tail).

ratgirldjh
July 25th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I love the idea of a 'man bun' :D

Thanks for the image :)

Oh and I use mostly stretchy headbands that I double or triple. On the end of my braid I will occasionally use the goody ouchless ones - but I crochet all around them til they are covered. I have 2 rubberized ones and they work but do stick to my hair and so don't prefer them.

Tristania
July 25th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I seem to get breakage no matter what kind of elastic I use. I don't even use them that often anymore, no more than once a week. I guess I need to give them up completely...