PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Bristle Brushes... Yay or Nay?

Amethyste
July 20th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I don't like the BBB on my hair at all, don't like the feel of it and I don't think it does much either.

I am sure some of you have seen these but any one of you have one and use them on a daily basis? What is your opinion on it?

Thanks in advance!

Madora
July 20th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I'd say nay because the diameter of the wooden bristle is larger than the diameter of a typical hair and is rigid into the bargain.

A boar bristle is the closest thing in nature that "understands" the human hair structure. The bb diameter is much thinner than a wooden bristle, plus it flexes and doesn't put as much pressure on strands.

Crybb
July 20th, 2012, 09:55 AM
I'm a newbie, so take my experience with that in mind.. .. I Love my widu brush! I think it distributes my hair oil well and aligns my waves (I am not prone to tangles. my hair is AP 2a )
Looking forward to hearing what other folks think.

lunalocks
July 20th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Hello. Madora, I honor your experience and wisdom yet I have to tell you of my experience. I love my wood bristle brush. I have a BASS. This is how I stimulate my scalp (it feels amazing) every single night and evenly distribute whatever oil (one drop) throughout my length. I never brush when wet or tangled. The wood bristles are so smooth they never tear my hair. I have had several BBBs in my life and felt they were too rough on the hair shafts. Maybe I was using the wrong brand, or maybe different kinds of hair respond in various ways to different brushes. All I know is that I love my brush, and using it along with the other changes I have made, many found on this forum, has given me healthy hair.

ravenheather
July 20th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Never tried a wooden bristle brush. But I love my tangle teezer. It's more gentle than my wooden comb.

MissAlida
July 20th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I have one. The pad is made out of rubber, so when the bristels move, my hair gets caught between the wood and rubber, and gets yanked out of my head. I don't like this type of brush, and I never use it. But maybe you can find a brush that's a better quality and make it work.:)

gracenotes
July 20th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I used to have one and I really liked it! I found it to be much gentler than a comb, and it distributed oils better than a BBB. After using it, my hair was always nice and soft. Just make sure to get a really good quality one or you might have some issues with snagging.

Madora
July 20th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Hello. Madora, I honor your experience and wisdom yet I have to tell you of my experience. I love my wood bristle brush. I have a BASS. This is how I stimulate my scalp (it feels amazing) every single night and evenly distribute whatever oil (one drop) throughout my length. I never brush when wet or tangled. The wood bristles are so smooth they never tear my hair. I have had several BBBs in my life and felt they were too rough on the hair shafts. Maybe I was using the wrong brand, or maybe different kinds of hair respond in various ways to different brushes. All I know is that I love my brush, and using it along with the other changes I have made, many found on this forum, has given me healthy hair.

As long as you're happy with what you're using, that's the important thing! Glad to read you don't brush when your hair is wet and/or tangled. Brushing hair that hasn't been properly detangled is asking for breakage.

blondie9912
July 20th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I used to have one and I LOVED it. The brush tends to be very smooth and the bristles don't have any seams or anything, so I wouldn't think it would be damaging.

Tia2010
July 20th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I use a wooden brush I bought from 'The Body Shop' and I love it.

It has thicker bristles than most brushes though, almost like little pegs vs actual bristles, but I love the way it feels and it works great on my hair. :)

earthnut
July 20th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I used to have one and I LOVED it. The pegs were held on a rubber, curved base, which allowed them to bend. It had ball tips and round bases on the pegs, but I never felt it was damaging. Nice scalp massage too.

I've never used a BBB (too pricey) though I feel like the close spacing of the bristles wouldn't penetrate my hair properly.

I now have a tangle teezer and I love that too. I've also heard Denman brushes are gentle on hair.

However, now I only brush my hair when it's wet and covered in conditioner, and wooden brushes/combs are not so good in the shower because the water causes the wood to swell, warp, and crack. I use a tangle teezer these days.

lapushka
July 20th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I don't like the BBB on my hair at all, don't like the feel of it and I don't think it does much either.

You're under no obligation to use one. :)

I have a mixed (with nylon) BBB, and I used to love it, but it has since been replaced by my D41 Denman, by the Bodyshop wooden bristled one (the old one without the nubs at the end of the bristles), and by my Tangle Teezer, which I love the most out of all of them. As long as you detangle with a wide tooth comb first, before brushing, you should be fine no matter what brush you use!

Amethyste
July 21st, 2012, 04:40 PM
I have a tangle teaser and I use that mostly... my hair is not that long so i detangle withmy fingers first then the tangle teaser... I might get a wooden bristle brush and try it :)

GrowingGlory
July 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM
I love my WIDU Bamboo wooden brush. It is made of ash wood with a natural rubber cushion. It does my hair good!

Bene
July 21st, 2012, 04:50 PM
I'mma go with a loud and enthusiastic yay. My hair likes them, so I like them.

I love wood pin brushes. I'll detangle with a my tangle teazer or a wide tooth comb, but I do the rest of my grooming and dry detangling with a wood pin brush. Hate new body shop one though.

We had a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72331&page=2) where we discussed the body shop brush, and wood pin brushes, in general.

Othala
July 21st, 2012, 05:26 PM
I love my Kent Woodyhog. It consists of smooth wooden bristles sitting in a flexible rubber base. It gives me a brilliant scalp workout and glides through my hair without snagging or snapping hairs. I love it. I never got on with any BBB as they just could not penetrate to my scalp plus I got split-end with BBBs that I never get with the Woodyhog of my Tangle Teezer (no difference in care products and no use of heat).

So a big YAY from me!