PDA

View Full Version : I want my hair to smell AMAZING

jadelouise
July 20th, 2012, 03:15 AM
What is the best product/mask you've used on your hair, fragrance-wise?

I love it when my hair smells fruity and I can smell it throughout the day :)

GoblinTart
July 20th, 2012, 03:17 AM
I love spraying rose water all over my hair. I spend all day smelling it when i do that.

jadelouise
July 20th, 2012, 03:18 AM
I love spraying rose water all over my hair. I spend all day smelling it when i do that.

mmmm sounds as though i'll have to get some of this! :D

Shiranshoku
July 20th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Ghehe, I saw this thread in the overview as 'I want my hair to smell...' and I was like:

Huh, weird. Why would you want your hair to smell... ? But hey, I can give some tips on that :D

jadelouise
July 20th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Ghehe, I saw this thread in the overview as 'I want my hair to smell...' and I was like:

Huh, weird. Why would you want your hair to smell... ? But hey, I can give some tips on that :D

haha oh dear, my bad! :P x

Natalia
July 20th, 2012, 04:09 AM
monoi oil! i have used rose water too but i didnt last in my hair. most of the time when i use my monoi tiare i can still get a hint of it on day 3. an eo mister was second best in staying power it at least lasted the day.

blondie9912
July 20th, 2012, 06:52 AM
It's a coney commercial product but the Macadamia Oil line (particularly the mask and leave in) make you smell like an Amazon model goddess :D Okay, I exaggerate. But they do smell WONDERFUL!

Long_hair_bear
July 20th, 2012, 06:53 AM
My goats milk condish! I washed my hair on sunday and it still smelled like vanilla on thursday!

Amber_Maiden
July 20th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I really don't care that much how my hair smells.... and it's really true. I walk around with tons of neem oil in my hair and don't care at all.

czech it out
July 20th, 2012, 07:00 AM
All Garnier products have a fruity/apple scent that sticks around. When I use the Pure Clean shampoo, I can still smell it at the end of the day. I've even gotten compliments on how good it smells. :)

Monoi oil is strongly scented too, but I have the vanilla and I find it to be kind of sickeningly sweet at times.

vamq
July 20th, 2012, 07:13 AM
I recently tried Organix conditioner, and the smell lingered in my hair for three days.

I used the shea butter conditioner, so it wasn't a fruity smell. Did smell good, so good that I had to sniff my hair every single time I took it down in those three days :D

browneyedsusan
July 20th, 2012, 07:27 AM
I'm certainly in the minority, but I love the way my hair smells during and after a henna. mmm... nothing quite like it. I wish it always smelled like henna!

umbrellabones
July 20th, 2012, 07:30 AM
My goats milk condish! I washed my hair on sunday and it still smelled like vanilla on thursday!

i love love love vanilla. what brand is this??

sarahbrownie
July 20th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Philosophy has a line of shampoos and shower gels that smell like very unusual things like cinnamon buns, mimosas, and raspberry sorbet.

Lush shampoo bars make my hair smell like herbal goodness until my next wash. I'm constantly smelling at my locks through out the day.

Firefly
July 20th, 2012, 07:40 AM
i love love love vanilla. what brand is this??

Suave has a new "Everlasting Sunhine" Vanilla & Passionflower one that smells great. Definitely heavy on the vanilla, and it lasts.

OP: You're lucky. It's been my experience that most products (and I've tried SO very many of them LOL) smell fruity. I hate fruity. I love spicy scents-- frankincense, sandalwood etc, and have yet to find one like that. I made my own "hair perfume" and it works okay, but doesn't last. You though, have lots to choose from! I agree about the GF, and Herbal Essence also has a particularly strong, fruity smell. Aussie products also come to mind. Most of the Suave and VO5 lines... etc etc!

Demi-Plum
July 20th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I've been using Pantiene for years and I love the smell. I've also had multiple boyfriends (over those years) comment on how my hair smells very nice. My hair usually still smells good even when left down all day, but if I leave it bunned the smell is more intense when I let it down. It's not necessarily fruity, but I think it sure smells good!

pepperminttea
July 20th, 2012, 07:54 AM
The L'Oreal Elvive scents seem to really last and last, and the Pantene scent. Which is great if you like them, but not so much if you don't. :p The old Herbal Essences used to as well, back when their bottles were transparent and a more typical shape.

Tristania
July 20th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I would have to say Organix. The cherry blossom scented one in particular is amazing, and the smell really lingers.

Tristania
July 20th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Oh, and the "replenishing" shampoo and conditioner from Herbal Essences. This will always be my favorite. Of course it has been discontinued, at least in the US, but I believe you can still find some bottles online. The last time I went to Norway they still carried it in stores, though. But the smell is AMAZING and stays put for days. I got compliments on it all the time.

umbrellabones
July 20th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Suave has a new "Everlasting Sunhine" Vanilla & Passionflower one that smells great. Definitely heavy on the vanilla, and it lasts.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for this(:

jacqueline101
July 20th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I'd try the Garnier line of products.

Wildcat Diva
July 20th, 2012, 08:19 AM

This is SO FUNNY, because I read the OP post, immediately picked up my little mister bottle with rose water sitting on my computer desk, misted my hair, then scrolled down the next post to read this! HA!

RubySlippers
July 20th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I used to work for Lush, and I still think their Jasmine and Henna hair mask is just the best.

As long as you really like jasmine! Cos it LASTS!

amanda_the_tall
July 20th, 2012, 09:42 AM
aussie moist smells like fruity coconut. their deep conditioner scent seems to last even after i've washed my hair again. it's a really strong scent.

MsBubbles
July 20th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Pretty much any drugstore shampoo or conditioner makes my hair smell amazing. I just have to use them. I'm not a fan of walking around with unwashed hair.

spidermom
July 20th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I can only smell my hair when it's been bunned or braided, then I release it.

swearnsue
July 20th, 2012, 10:10 AM

OP: You're lucky. It's been my experience that most products (and I've tried SO very many of them LOL) smell fruity. I hate fruity. I love spicy scents-- frankincense, sandalwood etc, and have yet to find one like that. I made my own "hair perfume" and it works okay, but doesn't last. You though, have lots to choose from! I agree about the GF, and Herbal Essence also has a particularly strong, fruity smell. Aussie products also come to mind. Most of the Suave and VO5 lines... etc etc!

I'm like you Firefly, I like the spicy scents. Everything seems to be mango or raspberry or something tropical! Good grief, right? Oh well, I guess we could make our own mister bottle with essential oils.

Jessibear2854
July 20th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I can only smell my hair when it's been bunned or braided, then I release it.

Yep, me too. I wish I could find something that lasted and was a bit more fragrant. I use Suave Rosemary Mint conditioner currently and it smells really good for a little while! Then it disappears.....

Firefly
July 20th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I'm like you Firefly, I like the spicy scents. Everything seems to be mango or raspberry or something tropical! Good grief, right? Oh well, I guess we could make our own mister bottle with essential oils.

:beerchug: Was beginning to think I was the only one! LOL

Kizuna
July 20th, 2012, 12:57 PM
So... If I want a mist for my hair that smells good, I can simply make it by boiling water with something with a nice fragrance? Like rose water, mix water and roses? (feels like such a stupid question, but I want to be bale to make something on my own :) )

Loviatar
July 20th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I'd suggest looking on etsy.com - Toadstool soaps do highly scented haircare, as does Olivia Morgana and others.

Kristin
July 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I use Andalou Naturals Sunflower and Citrus shampoo and conditioner; it's great for my hair and smells DELICIOUS!

I also like mint and vanilla scents, so sometimes I CO with VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea and Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat. The scent stays all day.

Natalia
July 20th, 2012, 09:35 PM

you should check out natures gate. i have two condishioners i got on clearance from them. one is sandalwwood the other is ginger something. havent used them yet so i cant speak to staying power but they arent fruity. if you like herby they have a lalvender one too.

So... If I want a mist for my hair that smells good, I can simply make it by boiling water with something with a nice fragrance? Like rose water, mix water and roses? (feels like such a stupid question, but I want to be bale to make something on my own :) )

yup you can but you have to refrigerate it after. i would suggest using distilled water and dried rose buds. my local health food store carries them in bulk near the bath and candle isle but im sure you can get them from places like mountain rose herbs website.

Miss Maisie
July 20th, 2012, 09:52 PM
For those of you who like more "spicy" scents- I just got Avalon Organics Volumizing Rosemary shampoo and conditioner. Oh my goodness does my hair smell good, even 2 days after a wash!

chou
July 20th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I'm gonna put another vote in for Toadstool--she has a wide array of incredible smelling fruit scented hair products. I like the apricot nectar smell! She has florals and herbals as well. Plus, her products are super high quality and well-formulated.

stew
July 20th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I've tried my fair share of hair products.. here are the things that make my hair smell the absolute best:

-Lush American Cream Conditioner - the smell is almost intoxicating, it is so pleasant - and every time a breeze blows through your hair you get a fresh wave of vanilla.
-CO-washing with Alberto Balsam Strawberries & Cream or Suave Naturals Coconut
-Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Conditioner - smells like raspberries. delicious.
-I wouldn't recommend this conditioner, but while using Herbal Essences Body Envy, a friend told me I smelled how a woman should smell (I also wear vanilla eau de toilette) :)
-Rose water - also has the benefit of making my hair ridiculously soft
-An oil mix called "Marrakesh Oil" - has a similarly intoxicating scent, my boyfriend really likes it.

long&blonde
July 20th, 2012, 11:23 PM
I've read bad reviews on it, but it actually agreed with my hair; "Gee your hair smells terrific" came in shampoo & condish,you can still find both on line, men were nuts for how it left your hair smelling for days. Slightly spicey,slightly floral.

IvanaGil
July 20th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Herbal Essences conditioners always do the trick for me. I tried the rosewater but it didn't last more than 20 min. The Herbal Essences conditioners usually last me 2 days and they smell so good.

patienceneeded
July 21st, 2012, 01:24 AM
The new shampoo and conditioner line, Clear, has a pretty perfume that lingers for days. I've been using it for about 2 weeks and I really like it.

spirals
July 21st, 2012, 02:30 AM
Use a dryer sheet as a headband. :cheese: :lol:

Kizuna
July 21st, 2012, 07:16 AM
yup you can but you have to refrigerate it after. i would suggest using distilled water and dried rose buds. my local health food store carries them in bulk near the bath and candle isle but im sure you can get them from places like mountain rose herbs website.

Ok thank you! :D I think I'm gonna start some new experiments!

WaitingSoLong
July 21st, 2012, 07:16 AM
Garnier Fructis anti-frizz Sleek & Shine serum. Unfortunately...

They discontinued the fragrance, changed the bottle a little, and now the new stuff smells like bubble gum. WHY?????

Every time I wear it people tell me my hair smells so good and want to know what it is. It is the BEST SMELL I HAVE EVER SMELLED. Seriously.

I only found out they discontinued it yesterday and am looking to try to get some of the old stuff somehow. They have jacked up the price and selling it on eBay for about 3x what it used to cost. I cannot figure out how long it has been disconinued because one bottle lasts me about a year. It is an excellent make-up remover, too.

RubySlippers
July 21st, 2012, 07:43 AM
-Lush American Cream Conditioner - the smell is almost intoxicating, it is so pleasant - and every time a breeze blows through your hair you get a fresh wave of vanilla.

This

And, again because I worked there for years I can tell you that it's even better if you use it with the violet shampoo!

Yummmm:p

spookyghost
July 21st, 2012, 09:05 AM
Very good suggestions on here everyone! I have always wanted my hair to smell awesome. I have the macadamia mask and it does smell great but once my hair is dry you cant smell it unless you put a bunch of my hair up to your nose! I wonder if some peoples hair can hold a scent better than others? Sounds weird I know but if one person has wonderful smelling hair all day and another not so much and the same product was used-it does make you wonder!:p

Silken
July 21st, 2012, 09:17 AM
I really love the smell of Kerastaze Masquintense. To me it's a warm, clean and slightly musky smell, exactly like what your hair smells like when you've washed it in the evening and slept overnight, that smell when you wake up, all sleepy and personal. *swoon*

Snippety
July 21st, 2012, 10:57 AM
Another vote for Lush American Cream conditioner. I use it with the Karma Comba shampoo & love the smell of both products on my hair.

catamonica
July 21st, 2012, 11:46 AM
I added a capful of cinnamon to my shampoo. It makes the hair smell great.

MiamiPineapple
July 21st, 2012, 04:10 PM
The new Suave Keratin line smells amazing. When I have my hair down and people sit next to me, they always comment and sniff my hair.

Othala
July 21st, 2012, 05:29 PM
I add Patchouli and Sandalwood essential oils to my conditioner before a night out. I get an wonderful scent as well as incredible shine.

earthnut
July 21st, 2012, 06:32 PM
My favorite is strawberry conditioner. The Suave and VO5 ones are pretty easy to find. I remember having strawberry shampoo as a kid so it's nostalgic to me. Unfortunately my hair doesn't like them with a CO routine. :(

The Suave conditioner has actual strawberry juice in it. Maybe I should just spritz that on my hair?? lol Or this stuff (http://www.brambleberry.com/Strawberry-Fragrance-Oil-P3858.aspx) would probably work better...

hairstuck
July 22nd, 2012, 12:35 AM
Aquolina Pink Sugar makes a hair fragrance that you spray in it. Smells like cotton candy.

Some shampoo smells stick around.

Sometimes I'll spray body mist in mine.

C_Bookworm
July 22nd, 2012, 01:29 AM
I'm going to probably be in the minority on this one, but I spray perfume on my hair. I spray it on while its still wet, so I'm guessing the alcohol burns off while my hair is still wet. At any rate, I haven't experienced any damage, and the scent lasts until the next wash. Plus it really opens up the options, scent-wise. My favorites are Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil and Creed Imperial Millesime.

Natalia
July 22nd, 2012, 02:43 AM
I'm going to probably be in the minority on this one, but I spray perfume on my hair. I spray it on while its still wet, so I'm guessing the alcohol burns off while my hair is still wet. At any rate, I haven't experienced any damage, and the scent lasts until the next wash. Plus it really opens up the options, scent-wise. My favorites are Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil and Creed Imperial Millesime.

my SIL does this. i never tried it because of the alcohol but im glad its done well for you without damage. im a bit paranoid with my fine hair but i may try it now and then. it was hard to get a read on sil hair since even when being dyed within and inch of its life and blowfried/flat ironed everyday it still looks darn good. that womans hair is freakin tough!

akilina
July 22nd, 2012, 11:44 AM
I have found that whatever I do...If I put my hair up while it is still wet then take it down later, the smell definitely stays very nice. I love my leave ins too. They make everything better :D

I am a body spray/perfume freak though and tend to spritz by my head and walk thru it and my hair picks up the scent just by spraying it on my body. I don't see this to be damaging unless I was literally spraying my hair directly all over, which I do not do.

JamiG
July 23rd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Where do you buy the LUSH products? Are they available in stores?

ieiazel
July 23rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
I've had people complimenting how good my hair smells whenever I use l'Occitane's 5 essential oils serum and brume mist. The smell is truly wonderful, and lasts for a very long time, especially the brume mist.

johnnystiletto
July 23rd, 2012, 02:05 PM
I CO, and when I want a little freshening, I just squeeze a TINY (like a DROP) of conditioner into a little travel-size mister, add some distilled water (or filtered water, either one works), shake it up really well, and spritz it on. It's like a 'hair perfume', and the extra conditioner can't hurt, either!

FWIW, I'm LOVING the scents of Tresemme Naturals (the sweet orange one), and Suave's Everlasting Sunshine.

JellyBene
July 23rd, 2012, 02:09 PM
I love the smell of" Miniskirt" scented conditioner from ToadstoolSoaps on Etsy. My goodness that stuff smells incredible.... I also love their scent "strawberry Fields" that is seriously the most incredible fruity scent I have ever smelled, alsmost makes me want to eat it!

sarah112786
July 23rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
I like to put a drop or two of lavender oil on my brush before brushing. It makes my hair smell like lavender all day
:-D

JellyBene
July 23rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Oh and the description for ToadStool's Miniskirt scent claims that boyfriends and husbands love it, I was sceptical but I can honestly attest that its true! My boyfriend is obsessed with Miniskirt scent, its quite funny how much he loves it, if I use something else he pouts.

goldloli
July 23rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
I had a couple of bottles of Lush Eau Roma Water spray toner left unused (all of their toners broke me out but make for nice cooling mists in the summer). After seeing this thread and how someone used rose water (one of the main ingredients in it) i realised i just pimp them up with some additional scents.

Et viola i now have one with a couple of drops of rose oil in it and the other I added almond extract to so it now smells like marzipan. Both of these scents now match my doctor bronners liquid soaps :D HAPPY HAPPY BUNNY!!!

I spotted some peppermint oil and remembered a few products like the s factor line from tigi having the most amazing mint and strawberry scent. I think I'm going to create the holy grail of scented hair tonics by adding a few drops of jojoba oil to it

HintOfMint
July 23rd, 2012, 06:39 PM
Toadstool (on Etsy) has very strong scented hair products you might want to check out. She has a baffling array of scents too, so it's not difficult to find something you like.

akilina
July 23rd, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hmm another thing... Not a hair product but I buy fragrance oils from "vampfangs.com" They are SUPER strong and AMAZING! :D
Just a tiny tiny amount near my hair makes it smell awesome

Ceisdein
July 23rd, 2012, 09:01 PM
Tons of pumpkin pie spice mixed in my henna. For quite a while after any time I blow dry it, or sit in the sun, or get warm water on it: pumpkin pie seems to waft off my head.

Other than that I mix almond extract (or, more rarely, a little BPAL) into my oils.

BrownEyedBeauty
July 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM
The body envy volumizing shampoo and conditioner by Herbal Essences smells really good. I have become immune to it now but others can really smell it and love it. It is supposed to smell like white nectarine and pink coral flowers.

Another one that I get compliments with would be the volumizing shampoo and conditioner by Burt's Bees with pomagranate & soy.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I use the weleda hair oil on my hair after it dries and it smells pretty good to me(a lot like lavender and rosemary). Also I sometimes spray one spritz of my favorite body spray and the smell stays pretty good.

perkidanman
July 27th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Sweet Orange Essential Oil in a spray bottle (usually diluted, perhaps with rosewater, regular water, or with other EOs) makes my hair and body smell lovely all day. Best part is you can mix up your own blend of whatever you like scent-wise to find your favorite.

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Aquolina Pink Sugar makes a hair fragrance that you spray in it. Smells like cotton candy.

Some shampoo smells stick around.

Sometimes I'll spray body mist in mine.

I have that pink sugar hair fragrance and it doesn't stay in my hair very long :(
or maybe my nose is broken. I tried spraying it on wet hair, then dry hair, then wet hair again and then putting it up and it never stayed.

:kitten:

nobeltonya
July 27th, 2012, 03:43 PM
The mixture of Sunsilk Dream Soft & Smooth shampoo, Aussie Miraculously Smooth conditioner and GF Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth leave-in cream smell fantastic, IMO. :disco:

PrincessofCups
July 27th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I second "Organix" Cherry Blossom scent. I haven't tried the conditioner but I use the shampoo. Tea Tree Mint is my other favorite of that brand. :)

DarleneH
July 27th, 2012, 04:05 PM
www.lovepotionperfume.com
They give out sample vials with each order you place. These are freebies and are smaller than the sample size that you can buy. One of these smaller ones is perfect for a 3 oz mister filled with whatever concoction you come up with for that. The last one I made I dumped a vial of 'Garden of Mystery' in it and it is the perfect grapey, wine type of scent for early Autumn. I just finished it this week but will pick out another little vial to refill the mister.

Synnovea
July 27th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I'm throwing my hat in with Toadstool, too. Not only do her products smell divine, and linger for days, but they're my number one staple in haircare for health, shine, softness, etc. reasons as well.

DarleneH
July 27th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I don't think anybody mentioned Goth Rosary yet, but I've heard her scents are fabulous and stick around well. I haven't bought any because it's a little expensive for me.

MrsGuther
July 27th, 2012, 05:17 PM

I may have to try that! :)

heathen
July 27th, 2012, 06:24 PM
What is the best product/mask you've used on your hair, fragrance-wise?

I love it when my hair smells fruity and I can smell it throughout the day :)
Hmmm... somehow, I feel like everything I like the smell of is horrible on my hair!

I really favored the smelled of the Moroccanoil products. I called it my "sexy man" oil. Haha, sadly, it basically scented dimethicone with very little argan oil! Can't describe it, exotic, incense-y...mmm....

Then, there was Burt's Bees "gud" brand... Vanilla Flame, I think? HORRIBLE conditioner, but I bought it for the smell........Oh, the smell! It was marketed as Vanilla and rice milk. A very sexy vanilla.... deep and...smoky? Sexy?

I prefer more perfume-y, rich/sultry smells for my hair.

Though, a certain type of fruity I LOVE. On the fruity end I favored Herbal Essences "Totally Twisted" for a long time as a leave-in. Never thought I'd get tired of it... alas... eh.

Right now, I'm using a spritz of Jasmine water on my hair to make it smell good. Actually, the stay power is quite impressive.