PDA

View Full Version : How to measure ponytail circumfrence without any kind of ruler?

PeaceTeaRules
July 20th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I was wondering about how to measure your ponytail circumference without any sort of measuring tool... Are there alternative methods to it? Are any of them accurate? :confused:

How long did you lurk here before creating an account and if so why did you? Personally I lurked for about six months before creating an account and it was just for the hair help also the wonderful community!! :D

Can delete if there's already a thread about this... :)

furnival
July 20th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Measuring anything without a measuring tape is going to be difficult and less accurate. Why would you want to do it? You could use a piece of ribbon or string to measure your circumference but you'd have to then measure that. A tape measure is the best bet- just wrap it around your ponytail.
Welcome to LHC! :)

ariesfairies
July 20th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Well you'll obviously need to compare the length to some form of measurement, you can't go without some point of reference. Furnival just mentioned all of the practical suggestions.

Hehe, a bit off the topic's title, but I joined the day I found the site :)

FrannyG
July 20th, 2012, 03:57 AM
I don't know where you live, but you can easily get a tape measure at a dollar store. You would need a tailor's tape, not a metal tape. It should be easy from there, as others have pointed out.

I didn't lurk at all when I found this forum. I joined the very day that I found it.

Cania
July 20th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Use a piece of string or ribbon and mark off the circumference on that.
Then measure the length you marked on this site :)
http://iruler.net/

PeaceTeaRules
July 20th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Woops... An error on my part I guess... This is what I get for posting on the forums at like midnight/one in the morning ish huh? :p

I read somewhere on the internet, saying that there was a way of measuring it by sticking a pencil through and measuring it... Of course I know now that now you can't possibly determine ponytail thickness without any type of measure... ;)

I should've named the thread "alternate ways of measuring ponytail thickness" instead... Sorry for misleading title!! :couch:

FrannyG
July 20th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Well, if you used a pencil, you'd only be determine the diameter, not the circumference. You'd then have to do the PI formula to calculate the circumference.

PeaceTeaRules
July 20th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Oh... Okie dokie then. It'd give me a reason to dig out my college algebra book!! :Big Grin:

summerstarlet
July 20th, 2012, 09:31 PM
I use my hand. I wrap my forefinger and thumb around the base of my pony tail. I know where it hits and I can feel it in the same wrinkle every time.

TheMechaGinger
July 20th, 2012, 09:58 PM
They have to scale rulers on the internet, just google one. That's what I do when I want to measure my hair. Don't get me wrong it's not one hundred percent accurate but it's better than guessing if you don't have a tape or an actual ruler lying around

PeaceTeaRules
July 22nd, 2012, 06:12 PM
Eh... How much room exactly if you have bangs you need to measure as well? I read on here somewhere that you need to leave a bit of room for your bangs if you have them... how much room?

Also... How do you use the Pythagorean therom to measure hair length?? I'm a tad confused... That's for measuring triangles... I think... Or did you mean to multiply diameter of ponytail by pi? Am stumped...

PeaceTeaRules
July 22nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
Never mind I think I figured it out... My ponytail circumference based on an online calculator and the diameter of my ponytail is; 4.8 inches without room for my bangs... How would I add them in? Does this mean that I'm not i/ii but a solid iii?