PDA

View Full Version : How much regrowth is normal?

Hollyfire3
July 19th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Now, I know I have been starting alot of thread recently and for this I am sorry, I just have so many questions! (curious kitty that I am). Anyway...I am wondering, how much did YOUR hair thicken up after quiting heat styling or whatever most damaging practice you had previously? Last year, I was just a smidgen over 4" in a ponytail, my ends were crap and breaking, my hair was brittle and drying straight, it was terrible. Now, i chopped 3 inches this january and it is nearly grown all back (yay!). What is most suprising to me is that ever since I mostly (use heat a few times a year now) quite heat, my hair is growing in a bit thicker. I have lots of baby hairs and my ponytail is up to 4.5 solidy or even 4.75 on very good days. Its crazy. Now, I swear I have not been mismeasuring and am not trying to make such a big deal about it, but it is very cool that just stopping heat has made such a difference for me. :cheese: So, has anyone else had this happen?

Demi-Plum
July 19th, 2012, 09:46 PM
I wish my hair was that thick! I honestly only use heat on my bangs and only because I have to wash them every morning lest they look greasy (I shower at night mostly). Only the occasional (and by occasional I mean super rare, maybe once or twice a year) do I use heat on my length.

blaketob
July 19th, 2012, 09:47 PM
It's happened to me too! I stopped using heat june 2011 except for a few times a year. I didn't know about TLHC then so I didn't measure my hair circumference but I know my hair has gotten a lot thicker. Everyone tells me all the time how thick my hair looks compared to how it was. It used to be thin, damaged, and look like I had no hair. I could barely put my hair evenly in front of my two shoulders and have the same amount in the back like I do now. Its really amazing isn't it how much heat really does damage your hair tremendously.

Hollyfire3
July 19th, 2012, 09:58 PM
It's happened to me too! I stopped using heat june 2011 except for a few times a year. I didn't know about TLHC then so I didn't measure my hair circumference but I know my hair has gotten a lot thicker. Everyone tells me all the time how thick my hair looks compared to how it was. It used to be thin, damaged, and look like I had no hair. I could barely put my hair evenly in front of my two shoulders and have the same amount in the back like I do now. Its really amazing isn't it how much heat really does damage your hair tremendously.

its really crazy! I look back on when I first started flat ironing, without heat protectant or proper care, my ends were FRIED! I mean I have always had alot of hair, so it took longer for the damage to show but when it did, youch! It was nasty! Now, my hair looks like I got a full set of exstentions added when compared to those first pictures 4 years ago when I started heat. Oh and Demi-Plum, its funny cause, I blow dried my hair today (first time in months, a little experiment of mine for an event coming up) and all I kept thinking was I SWEAR my hair gets any thicker, i'll go nuts, I know its not THAT much hair, but when you're blow drying, and its not drying and it gets in your face and everything, its kinda overwhelming.

akilina
July 19th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I quit heat styling basically ever since April. I won't lie though I have straightened a few times. I straighten it when I take a length shot, and there were a few days I felt horrible and ugly so I did all my hair and makeup to make myself feel better.
I don't notice any more thickness yet...my hair feels pretty okay over all though since stopping. I don't really have any splits at all.
If anything I used to always straighten the front of my hair and since I have stopped the really crappy part of my hair where I had the undercut is looking so much better :]

Hollyfire3
July 19th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I quit heat styling basically ever since April. I won't lie though I have straightened a few times. I straighten it when I take a length shot, and there were a few days I felt horrible and ugly so I did all my hair and makeup to make myself feel better.
I don't notice any more thickness yet...my hair feels pretty okay over all though since stopping. I don't really have any splits at all.
If anything I used to always straighten the front of my hair and since I have stopped the really crappy part of my hair where I had the undercut is looking so much better :]

I only stopped in desperation:o. It was never a choice. When my hair decided my stopped curling and randomly got weak and became a mess of breakage and splits, stepping away from the heat is all but required. Now, hopefully the worst is behind me...it takes time for the hair to grow back in, if you're like me, you might have caused alot of breakage to your hair with heat, I think these are the strands growing in for me and other then that, my hair got healthier so more strands are growing in longer and healthier too i guess? Hang in there and best of luck, its worth it! If I had stopped heat volunterialy, I would have cheated too! But, I am terrifed or flat irons now, so now super straight hair for me sadly...:(

lmfbs
July 19th, 2012, 10:39 PM
In the 7 months I've been taking care of my hair, I've gained 3cm (from 7.5 to 10.5 cm) I think that's normal when you take care of it.

Congrats on your increase!

Hollyfire3
July 19th, 2012, 10:43 PM
In the 7 months I've been taking care of my hair, I've gained 3cm (from 7.5 to 10.5 cm) I think that's normal when you take care of it.

Congrats on your increase!

Oh wow! Congrats to you too, thats a big gain in thickness! And thanks for the congrats, its very exciting now that I'm thinking of it!:)

ladylowtide
July 19th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I attribute my thickness increase to henna and no more chemical dyes or bleach. I went from 2.75 to 3.5 In the past 8 months.

Hollyfire3
July 19th, 2012, 11:17 PM
I attribute my thickness increase to henna and no more chemical dyes or bleach. I went from 2.75 to 3.5 In the past 8 months.

Oh wow! Thats alot of thickness increased, congrats! Can henna do that?! Maybe I could get to 5" with henna! I use chemical dye right now too....but only on roots every 4 months or so....

spirals
July 20th, 2012, 12:25 AM
because two and too are NOT the same thing lol snort You are hilarity. And to answer your question, I have no idea what my pony inch measurement was, but probably smaller than now. Soap-shampooing is making it even thicker.

FrannyG
July 20th, 2012, 02:56 AM
When I joined here, my ponytail circumference was 2.25 inches. I had been blow-drying, using a curling iron, using mousse and gels that were drying, and shampooing and conditioning daily, as well as colouring my hair.

Now, my circumference is 3 inches even. I still colour my hair, but I gave up the heat and damaging products. Also, I use coconut oil all over my hair before I touch up my roots, and I am convinced that it really does help prevent at least some of the damage from peroxide.

So that's a 33% increase in thickness, and I've since cut deeper bangs and face framing layers. Pretty good, I'd say.

jadelouise
July 20th, 2012, 03:23 AM
I only ever use a hairdryer on my bangs, and thats on the cool setting. i used to use straighteners on my whole head, hairdyer on full, the lot! and since stopping that, i have notivced a lot less breakage and shedding, and my hair feels and smells so much nicer!

goes to show you dont have to give it all up completely though, if i didnt dry my bangs theyd be all frizzy and crazy haha

Mya
July 20th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Now, I know I have been starting alot of thread recently and for this I am sorry, I just have so many questions! (curious kitty that I am). Anyway...I am wondering, how much did YOUR hair thicken up after quiting heat styling or whatever most damaging practice you had previously? Last year, I was just a smidgen over 4" in a ponytail, my ends were crap and breaking, my hair was brittle and drying straight, it was terrible. Now, i chopped 3 inches this january and it is nearly grown all back (yay!). What is most suprising to me is that ever since I mostly (use heat a few times a year now) quite heat, my hair is growing in a bit thicker. I have lots of baby hairs and my ponytail is up to 4.5 solidy or even 4.75 on very good days. Its crazy. Now, I swear I have not been mismeasuring and am not trying to make such a big deal about it, but it is very cool that just stopping heat has made such a difference for me. :cheese: So, has anyone else had this happen?
My hair has gone from 7 cm (2.8 inches) to 8.5 cm (3.4 inches) in a few weeks after I quit heat styling. I have lot of baby hairs/flyaways too.

pink.sara
July 20th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Congratulations on your increase :)

The only thing that has made a difference for me is multiple applications of henna and indigo which took my pony from 14cms to 15+ cms, so 5.5 inches to 6.

Oiling and scalp massage and vits and MN are great but haven't made a thickness difference.

(But I'm one of those people that have razored everything from the ears down to thin the ends and avoid triangle head so I don't really think my thick hair is normal!)

bunzfan
July 20th, 2012, 06:21 AM
When i joined i stopped using heat and was about 2.5 and its since gone up to 3.9 and thats not including my fringe:D

DaniVerde
July 20th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Now, my hair looks like I got a full set of exstentions added when compared to those first pictures 4 years ago when I started heat.

Can we see the pictures that you mentioned, Hollyfire? :) It would be great to see your journey!

Vampyria
July 20th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Congratulations! :)

It happened to me too. But I never measured before I stopped dyeing and heat styling almost two years ago, so I wouldn't know how much thicker it is now. By the looks of it, I would say I was on the thin side of ii then. Well, I was also taking supplements, not just stopped torturing my hair.

I always had pretty thick hair before the big shed and before I started dyeing and straightening regularly.

My pony circumference was around 3.5 without bangs a couple of months ago. It went to 3 though, because of increased shedding. :(

blondie9912
July 20th, 2012, 06:47 AM
I haven't been a frequent heat styler in a while, so I'm not exactly sure, but after I quit bleaching last September I have SO many baby hairs that have grown in (and not just around my hairline, they're everywhere on my head!). They're all approximately the same length as my virgin roots, so I know for sure that I can attribute it to not bleaching my hair.