PDA

View Full Version : What are the proper terms for this?

CurlyCap
July 19th, 2012, 07:16 PM
If I understand things correctly, we designate wavies and curlies by the diameter of wave/curl in the hair. I know type 3s and 4s best, so for example, 3as are sidewalk chalk, 3bs = sharpies, and so on.

However, is there a term for how tightly those curls are stacked? Two people can have sidewalk chalk diameter curls, but one person can have five revolutions per inch and some people have a curl every few inches.

How do people talk about this and what are the correct terms to use?

Thanks!

Bene
July 19th, 2012, 07:28 PM
As far as I know, there are no proper terms for what you're asking. Applying sidewalk chalk and sharpies to describe a curl can be limiting, especially to curlies who don't pay that much (or any) attention to the diameter of their curl. This is how I look at it

Type 1= straight
Type 2 = wavy
Type 3 = curly

3a = loose curl pattern. This includes curls the size of coke cans, 5 to an inch. It also includes sidewalk chalk, one every 2 inches. But you see? Loose curl pattern is the key.

3b = tighter curl pattern, either smaller diameters or shorter distance between the curls

3c = tight curl pattern. Tiny diameters + small distance between the curls. Not loose.

earthnut
July 19th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I've always thought of the types as the wavelength of the curls (the curlies have short wavelengths, and the straighties have wavelengths so long you don't see one complete revolution),not their diameter, but that's an interesting way of thinking about it.

You might be interested in these pages:
http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/wavy-pride.html
http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/why-hair-curves-waves-and-curls.html
http://scienceyhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/more-wavy-physics.html

domisimone
July 19th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Like the above, I think of it as wavelength. I don't look at the curl size, just tightness (or lack thereof). I always just assumed that tighter curls would be smaller in diameter. You raise a really good point--this could be a flaw in the fia system.

CurlyCap
July 19th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I always just assumed that tighter curls would be smaller in diameter. You raise a really good point--this could be a flaw in the fia system.

This is the trend I see in a lot of posts and the source of my confusion.

I'm a 3b mostly, which is considered a somewhat loose curl. But I have lots of stacks with about 5-10 revolutions per inch if let the curls form undisturbed and well-moisturized. The insane number of revolutions is why I put 3c in my sidebar profile thingy.

Anyway, my question isn't so much about getting my profile "right". I just want to learn more about how people think about these things.

Anywhere
July 19th, 2012, 09:01 PM
my "curls" (2c, so wurls) are like, between sharpie and sidewalk chalk for a lot of sections just because they're so stretched out. If I pool them in my hand they're more like sidewalk chalk or bigger. And I'm not even a real curly.

I also think the typing is based on tightness and wavelength.

CurlyCap
July 19th, 2012, 09:07 PM
See, I was taught to think of hair types like this:

http://static5.depositphotos.com/1008611/399/v/450/dep_3999644-Hair-Types-Chart.jpg

But this chart assumes that curl diameter and wavelength shrink proportionally.

CurlyCap
July 20th, 2012, 06:03 PM
bump!

Cause I posted late at night and it got buried!

lacefrost
July 20th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Wow, I never really thought about this. This might be part of the reason my 3c/4a hair grows out instead of down, when a lot of people, with 3c/4a have hang. Mine is a fro and their's is a bunch of teeny ringlets. This may also explain the sections over my ears. Sometimes I swear they're 3b and other times I think 2c. And it's because it waves like 2c but it's stacked like 3b.

CurlyCap
July 20th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Wow, I never really thought about this. This might be part of the reason my 3c/4a hair grows out instead of down, when a lot of people, with 3c/4a have hang. Mine is a fro and their's is a bunch of teeny ringlets. This may also explain the sections over my ears. Sometimes I swear they're 3b and other times I think 2c. And it's because it waves like 2c but it's stacked like 3b.

I'm glad I'm sorta of communicating my idea/question! I felt so crazy trying to describe something I knew was real but didn't know the words for.

I think you're right in terms of growing horizontally. My close stacks/revolutions are what allow me to hold my hair horizontal and it won't droop much. The spring tension in the curl is higher than the gravitational pull (Yes, I know that's too much physics for a hair board but whatever. I love hair.) I know from experience I need about 4-5 inches of tight curl to get droopage/hang. That's 40 revolutions of 3b curls...a LOT of hair!

kitschy
July 20th, 2012, 09:16 PM
When my hair is short it is definitely 3B, even down to BSL it was without question 3b. But now that I am past waist, each individual curl is stretched out. Does that somehow change the inborn nature of my hair? I think not. It is still 3B, it is simply manipulated by it's own weight, just as if you tied a lead weight to the bottom of your curls and let them dry. That's why I have my signature picture. It shows my sharpie sized spirals still forming in the last 10 inches or so of my hair even though my roots and mid length are somewhat straightened out.

CurlyCurves
July 21st, 2012, 04:46 AM
I love you, Curlycap.

ariesfairies
July 21st, 2012, 05:46 AM
Mmm..but does curly hair need further defining than their number descriptors? :P See, I don't know that confidently either. But I think it's like 3as will have the similar hair spiral diameter all round, and then 3bs will have the same, and then 3cs and so on.

earthnut
July 22nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
I started a survey about this question, because I'm curious too! :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=97759