PDA

View Full Version : No...FRIZZ! Please help :(

prismfaerie
July 19th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Hey guys :) i realize that frizz is often caused by dryness, damage, whatnot, and since I've joined the lovely LHC my hair has become smoother. However, even a toddler I've had poufy, frizzy hair. Which many think is strange, considering I'm East Asian. And my hair is medium-fine, not thick at all.

I haven't permed in a year or flat ironed in about a month. I've deep-conditioned, oiled, everything.

I'm realistically not looking for stick-straight hair, but does anyone have tips to keep the frizz and pouffiness at a minimum? I'd totally appreciate it! If I made my hair completely, very healthy, how much would it helps the the frizz? I've noticed I don't really fit in any of the hair typing guides...I have frizzy hair that's sorta straight and not curly at all. :eyebrows:

Thanks a million :) And I'll try to upload some pics later...

BTW I've always wanted to meet my hair twin...anyone? :)

Amygirl8
July 19th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Maybe you're a secret wavy?
Try doing the curly-girl method, it may help you. The basis of it is CO and only use a comb or fingers for detangling.
There are other tips as well, but I always forget them.

prismfaerie
July 19th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Lol thx amygirl... secret wavy sounds like neat...
It's true that i have a few slight waves, however they get eaten up by the frizz so the overall impression of my hair is fuzzy at best, fried at worst, and not form over styling.

spirals
July 19th, 2012, 07:54 PM
It might help to give up brushing for a while, and detangle in the shower with your fingers, with conditioner in your hair. Thick oils like shea butter help me. I have medium fineness overall. I have some coarse hairs, though. And I know that on a day like today, when the humidity is 84%, I am going to have some frizz, but it doesn't have to overwhelm my head. I put some Shea Moisture curl milk in today and it helped. I put it on my dry hair. I used mousse this morning, but if I had known the humidity was going to be this high, I would've used gel. Gel helps, too.

earthnut
July 19th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Lol thx amygirl... secret wavy sounds like neat...
It's true that i have a few slight waves, however they get eaten up by the frizz so the overall impression of my hair is fuzzy at best, fried at worst, and not form over styling.

That completely sounds like a closet wavy to me. ;) Most curlies and wavies suffer from frizz.

Here are lots of tips I've picked up from around the interwebz, as I suffer from frizz frequently:
oil/serum/pomade/gloss on humid days
leave in conditioner
no drying alcohol (denatured alcohol, ethanol)
lots of conditioner
use gel, cream, or mousse
use oil/serum/pomade/gloss partway through the day
add products to wet hair
use SPF product on your hair
oil the hair
smooth towel - use a kitchen towel or t shirt instead of terrycloth or microfiber
satin pillowcase
comb/detangle when hair is covered in conditioner
don't comb/detangle when hair is wet
comb/brush gently
never brush or comb
protect form the sun and wind (put up or wear a hat)
wear a swim cap
cut off split ends
air dry, or use a diffuser or hood
don't use a comb or brush with sharp tines
don't fuss a lot with your hair during the day
no chemical treatments (straightening, perm, color)
use heat-free styles
don't pull hair tight when styling
cold water rinse
vinegar rinse
coconut oil deep conditioning
protein treatment (if hair is thin, porous, or weak)
clarifying and conditioning
conditioner only washes
no sulfate shampoos
don't shampoo

lilliemer
July 19th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Hey guys :) i realize that frizz is often caused by dryness, damage, whatnot, and since I've joined the lovely LHC my hair has become smoother. However, even a toddler I've had poufy, frizzy hair. Which many think is strange, considering I'm East Asian. And my hair is medium-fine, not thick at all.

I haven't permed in a year or flat ironed in about a month. I've deep-conditioned, oiled, everything.

I'm realistically not looking for stick-straight hair, but does anyone have tips to keep the frizz and pouffiness at a minimum? I'd totally appreciate it! If I made my hair completely, very healthy, how much would it helps the the frizz? I've noticed I don't really fit in any of the hair typing guides...I have frizzy hair that's sorta straight and not curly at all. :eyebrows:

Thanks a million :) And I'll try to upload some pics later...

BTW I've always wanted to meet my hair twin...anyone? :)
You are probably still be dealing with heat styling/perm damage in addition to maybe being a hidden Wavy. Assuming your hair grows the average 1/2 inch a month...that perm damage is only 6 inches down your hair right now. And the heat styling damage is sitting on top of the perm damage. You may end up with one hair type in your new, undamaged hair and another in the growing-out, damaged hair. Not easy to deal with, this has been the story of my life for the past year+.

I gave up heat about a year and a half ago and I am still growing out the damage (although it's close to being gone). I've been babying my hair like crazy with CWC and conditioner-only washes, weekly leave ins and no heat whatsoever.

Also, silicones can be your friend as you are growing out the damage. When i first joined here I thought they weren't good for my hair, but I have been experimenting and have found that a silicone containing deep conditioner has worked well at this point as it prevents tangles/fairy knots at the ends which cause further damage.

The wavy and wurly thread might help you get going with ways to test to see how much wave you have naturally...If you've had pouf since before you could walk...You might be a wavy :rolleyes:

DarkSky
July 19th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Great advice from the others. I as well strongly suggest to try the "curly girl method". At the very least try applying some conditioner to your hair as a leave in before you air dry and do not brush your hair while it is drying. Just scrunch and leave it alone and see what happens. I agree with the others that you may be a closet wavy.

BTW sometimes you can't eliminate all frizz depending on the weather and your activity. Some surface frizz is not all that bad actually as long as you have defined waves or curls underneath. IMO that kind of frizz can look very natural and and kind of endearing. Also surface frizz to me is kind of a trade mark for a natural wurly or curly head.

prismfaerie
July 20th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks for all the awesome tips :) You guys are the best!

But I;m not completely sure what the curly-girl method is...

spidermom
July 20th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Rubbing some aloe vera gel or styling gel between WET hands, then stroking my palms over the surface of my hair help a great deal with frizz.

Mya
July 20th, 2012, 12:37 PM
My hair too has always been frizzy. Try finger combing your hair with wet hands, it works better than oils for me in both keeping my hair moisturized and less frizzy.

woolyleprechaun
July 20th, 2012, 01:06 PM
You sound like me :) Ive battled frizzy, poufy hair for years until I discovered I was actualy wavy/curly. Give it a go ;)

lapushka
July 20th, 2012, 01:17 PM
But I;m not completely sure what the curly-girl method is...

Check this out for now:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

Also the book by Lorraine Massey is going to be a huge help if you're a wavy / curly.