PDA

View Full Version : Wife looking for advise for long thinning hair

jdoerrer
July 19th, 2012, 04:59 PM
We been looking all over for something to take or do. She has long long hair to almost i guess just above tb. Everyone says its thining etc. We tried some good conditioner and it seemed to help, but what about vitamin suplentment? any suggestions? I read cutting it dont help with thinning hair and such but she is at her wits end. I told her to come here long ago not sure she has ever. So any suggestions?:cheese:

jdoerrer
July 19th, 2012, 05:00 PM
We been looking all over for something to take or do. She has long long hair to almost i guess just above tb. Everyone says its thining etc. We tried some good conditioner and it seemed to help, but what about vitamin suplentment? any suggestions? I read cutting it dont help with thinning hair and such but she is at her wits end. I told her to come here long ago not sure she has ever. So any suggestions?:cheese:

Wow I just realized I orginally joined this back in 07 lol.

Wow

Tisiloves
July 19th, 2012, 05:09 PM
First up is she shedding more hair, or does it just seem to be breaking more?

For a shed I would see your doctor as shedding is one of the signs of stuff like thyroid issues, vitamin deficiencies, etc.

Also check her diet, is she getting enough protein and vitamins?

Has she had any emotional upsets, is she stressed? Has she recently changed/started/come off hormonal contraception? Has she recently had a baby/ is she going through menopause?

If it seems to be breakage I would look at how she handles her hair and what her routine is like.

Cutting doesn't stop hair thinning, but it can disguise it somewhat.

catamonica
July 19th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I read online that dehydrated chopped onion or minced onion, makes the hair thicker. I added one capful of dehydrated chopped onion to my shampoo. My hair felt thicker. Hope this helps.

Hollyfire3
July 19th, 2012, 11:45 PM
I read online that dehydrated chopped onion or minced onion, makes the hair thicker. I added one capful of dehydrated chopped onion to my shampoo. My hair felt thicker. Hope this helps.

I wonder how this works? Does it coat the hair? I'd be intrested to try it!:)

vrle
July 20th, 2012, 06:52 AM
If it's that visible that her hair is thinning, she really should see a doctor! (In my experience, people would only comment on a woman's thinning hair if it's really bad...)

Is there perhaps a pattern to the thinning?
Women can sometimes experience male pattern hair loss, i.e. hair that starts thinning at the temples and progresses over the crown... If that's the case, she needs to see a dermatologist. They can offer medicines to stop the thinning. Vitamins and conditioner won't work in that case (it has nothing to do with deficiencies), and once the hair is really gone, you can't regrow it.

longNred
July 20th, 2012, 06:57 AM
If it's that visible that her hair is thinning, she really should see a doctor! (In my experience, people would only comment on a woman's thinning hair if it's really bad...)

this ^

I would completely rule out ANY medical explanations before trying any "add ins" to the hair... lotions, potions, or onions.

MsBubbles
July 20th, 2012, 07:57 AM
She really needs to figure out what the cause is of the thinning, and approach the problem that way. When all the medicinal issues are addressed, then you can start throwing topical fixes at the problem to see if they work. Good luck figuring it out. It's tough because solutions to the problem won't show results for a few weeks, because it's hair. You never get immediate feedback when fixing shedding problems or thinning.

swearnsue
July 20th, 2012, 10:02 AM
There are so many things it could be. Shedding, breakage, both? Maybe your wife would like to sign in so we can ask her some questions about her hair care?

catamonica
July 21st, 2012, 01:27 AM
Holly just put a capful of dehydrated chopped onion or minced onion in your shampoo. It doesn't really coat the hair. It just feels thicker.

CurlyCurves
July 21st, 2012, 04:20 AM
First of all, how sweet of you to come on here asking for advice for her!

Secondly, it could be a number of things. Is it the whole head that is thinning, or just the ends?

If it is the whole head;

Could be a medical issue, or she could be shedding excessively.

If it is just the ends;

She may have reached terminal or damage could be causing breakage at the ends.

May we see a pic?