PDA

View Full Version : clips for ponytails questions, thanks

digginit
July 19th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I just joined. I am a guy growing my hair. It is all solidly past my shoulders now and I generally wear it tied back. Lately I have noticed people wearing clips to tie their hair back in a ponytail. I like how they spread the hair out. I was wondering if there was anything I needed to be aware of in buying or using these? This is the first time I have had long hair so I have no idea about much.
I was also wondering if anybody here knows or has seen guys wearing a clip/barrette? I have only seen them on women, not that that means anything, but I am a bit self conscious. thanks

digginit
July 19th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Something like this more or less, but without the flowers in my case.

http://www.chinashipin.com/upi12/20111124151726114.jpg

Linnet
July 19th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hi Digginit! Generally with barrettes you have to be careful of the metal parts, as these can break/tear your hair. I find I can use them if I make sure that my hair is held away from the fastener and also take care when removing them. I haven't seen any guys wearing them over here yet (I'm in the UK), except for using elastic bands (better to use the ones that are kind to hair and have no metal parts). Just a thought, but if you fancy a change, www.longlocks.com do hairsticks for guys (called Chapsticks) and there are photos on this site showing guys wearing them. You could also do a search, say, in Google for men's hair accessories and see what comes up, or just ask the guys you see wearing them where they got them. Good luck!

afu
July 19th, 2012, 10:08 AM
flexi-8 do some plain/simple hair friendly barrettes, might be worth a look :) I have a simple silver beaded one for bunning when I'm out with the sheep, need those manly shepards to take me at least a bit seriously!

digginit
July 19th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks, I will look at both of those.

david
July 19th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Hey, yes I wear these and I'm a guy. I prefer them to elastics as I find them easier to wear. I tend to wear barrettes that are the same colour as my hair or similar. But as Linnet said above be careful of the metal parts some of the cheaper ones are not as well made and catch your hair.

digginit
July 19th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Awesome. Thanks david. A few questions if that is ok. How long was your hair when you started using them? And do they hold well? I can tie a good ponytail, but if they dont hold well I think my bangs will probably come out. thanks

Madora
July 19th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Back in the day, those wide barrettes used to be called French clips.

Whatever you decide on, be sure there are no rough or sharp edges to snag your hair.

Goody makes a wonderful ouchless plastic barrette in two sizes that is very easy to use yet holds hair gently:

http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Ouchless-Updo-Barrette-Pack/dp/B005IMHCSI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342721336&sr=8-4&keywords=goody+ouchless+barrette