PDA

View Full Version : Can I clarify my hair several days in a row?

Celebrian
July 19th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I clarified last night, using soda bicarb with shampoo and scrubbing and very thoroughly rinsing. I followed with a moisturising rinse out conditioner straightaway.

My hair seems brighter (and curlier: normally I'm straight with a slight whirl!) but feels as if it wants perhaps one more clarifying session tonight - this time followed by a richer moisturising mask for 20 mins or so, as it feels a bit dry (but bouncier, if that makes sense).

Am I risking overdoing things by reclarifying tonight?

Thanks.

Falcore
July 19th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't recommend it.. it can be very drying. And especially as it's feeling a little dry now.

Maybe assess it in another week at least.

Madora
July 19th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Clarifying strips your hair of everything, so you only want to do it when it is necessary.

Wildcat Diva
July 19th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Just wait til next month or a bit longer. Might try an SMT afterwards to moisturize.

swearnsue
July 19th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I'm always tempted to clarify twice because there is such an improvement after that first time but once is really all you need. Wait at least a week or two to see if you really need another clarifying. Depending on what products you use, you shouldn't need to clarify more than once every couple of months, maybe not even that often.

Amber_Maiden
July 19th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I don't think it's a good idea. It really strips your hair.

Celebrian
July 19th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Well, I decided to re-clarify again tonight. It just felt the right thing to do for my hair.

Anyway. I used soda bic again with a gentle shampoo and rinsed thoroughly. Put in a thick coat of henna (colorless: don't ask me how) hair mask to feed and strengthen my stripped hair, and wrapped in saran and towels for 30 mins. Rinsed out. Put an AVC and water mix through, waited a minute and rinsed with cool water. Finally, I decided that my hair needed a moisturising conditioner (I used VO5 Give me Moisture) and applied, combed through thoroughly and rinsed out with cool water.

I am knackered!

We'll see how my hair feels tomorrow (it takes hours to dry) and I'll report back.

Celebrian
July 20th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Hmmm, well I have floppy silk-hair this morning, certainly not dry. In fact its so floppy and silky that I will probably shampoo it again tonight (NOT clarifying) just to dry it out a bit more! Lol, impossible battle with my hair... :o

blondie9912
July 20th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I'm always tempted to clarify twice because there is such an improvement after that first time but once is really all you need. Wait at least a week or two to see if you really need another clarifying. Depending on what products you use, you shouldn't need to clarify more than once every couple of months, maybe not even that often.

Very good point. Just because it feels great after the first time doesn't mean it will always make your hair feel that way.

Celebrian
July 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM
Yes, I may have overdone it a bit, but it's not too bad - although I suspect I need to cut a couple of inches off to really see benefits. That last few inches got very damaged earlier this year when my hairdresser (who warned me of the risk) did a deep cleanse to remove the last vestiges of stubbornly clinging on dark hair dye!! The color is great: the condition less so (just at those ends) so I'm going to chop them off and take it from there. It will soon grow. :o

heidi w.
July 21st, 2012, 12:00 PM
Clarifying strips your hair of everything, so you only want to do it when it is necessary.

This is true. However, if you feel you need it again it won't hurt your hair, but you must be very careful to rinse well, and replace what you've removed, meaning condition really well. Clarifying with the Baking Soda can be more drying to hair, but I wouldn't get hooked on this. One really should clarify on an as-needed basis ONLY. There are occasions where one may need to clarify two times, one after the other. Situations happen.

heidi w.