PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying a new routine (picture forthcoming)

kitschy
July 19th, 2012, 07:58 AM
My hair is curly. I wear it down and curly. When it gets frizzy, I'll tie it off in a cinnabun and it will stay without pins until I decide to take it down.

When I was younger, I would blowfry my hair, then curl it with a curling iron to get rid of my tight curls and get some semblance of waves - - I thought I was more socially acceptable if I looked like everyone else. Long story short, I destroyed my hair.

Fast forward to yesterday. After three years CO washing and growing my hair, I am almost BCL when I pull my hair straight, but my hair is barely to waist when curly. I want to show my length, and I yearn for hair I can run my hands through, but I don't want to use heat. Last night, I washed my hair, let it dry a bit and put it in a damp bun to see what the results would be. This morning, after 12 hours, my hair is still damp and STILL in a bun....sigh.

Eventually, it is bound to dry, and I am bound to take a picture to memorialize the event and the results. Hopefully in an hour or two.....:rolleyes:

....please check back.

Now to the question; how long does it take for your hair to dry if you damp bun?

Falcore
July 19th, 2012, 08:07 AM
My hair will not dry in a damp bun at all! I'll be interested to see your result though. Have you tried banding or hair wrapping?

The curls in your sig pic are stunningly beautiful too, btw.

DarkCurls
July 19th, 2012, 08:08 AM
My hair is only at waist, but it takes me a day and a night for my hair to dry completely if it's damp bunned or damp braided (I mean very damp). :p

spidermom
July 19th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I've worn a damp bun all day, top-braid at night, and my hair was still damp after 24 hours. After that, I let it down to dry. I have a feeling it would never dry if I didn't.

kitschy
July 19th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I've tried hair wrapping, it gives me really weird results. One thing about curls is their amazing memory, and after wrapping my hair stays swooped to one side except when it tries to stand on end, and my roots get wonky.

I tried banding my hair back in the 1970's when I was a teen, - I didn't like it then, but it is something I might need to revisit. My hair was shorter back then.

Falcore
July 19th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Ahh ok well fingers crossed your damp bun will dry! (though it might not as you look to have quite thick hair).

I have also heard of using coconut and lemon to as a straightening treatment, though I have never tried it myself (plenty info on google) here's one link - http://divaliciousindubai.com/2011/09/10/coconut-milk-and-lemon-hair-straightening/

Goodluck :)

kitschy
July 19th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks falcore, for the link, something like that might relax the curl. I'm hesitant to try it because I used lemon juice in the past to lighten my blonde. It damaged my hair worse than heat. Because I am a 3b, my hair is quite porous naturally. It gets damaged very easily.

SimplyViki
July 19th, 2012, 08:38 AM
My hair type is much different than yours, to be sure, but sometimes I do damp-bun to dry. I generally take it down for a few minutes periodically, re-smooth it, and bun it again. I think those few minutes of letting it loose help speed up the drying process.

Arya
July 19th, 2012, 08:41 AM
The trick to damp bunning is taking it down and putting it back up like 500 times so air gets a chance at the inner bits. At least that's my trick. It will be damp for like 36 hours, otherwise (my hair, anyway)

Falcore
July 19th, 2012, 08:42 AM
No worries, Kitschy :)

I'll check in later to see your outcome.

ravenreed
July 19th, 2012, 08:44 AM
My hair never dries completely in a bun. It doesn't seem possible since I live in a very dry climate, but my hair is thick enough that parts of it seem impervious to the anti-humidity where I live.

Xandergrammy
July 19th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Any damp buns I've ever made have remained damp until I take the bun down. Anxious to see your results!

proo
July 19th, 2012, 09:42 AM
When I damp bun I take it down about once an hour,
hold the ends and shake it a bit, head upside down;
then I damp bun twisting in the opposite direction,
do the shakedown after an hour and retwist oppositely.
Really speeds things up.

kitschy
July 19th, 2012, 10:11 AM
SimplyViki, Arya, and Proo - I'm taking your advice, been taking down and shaking like mad - still damp :(

The problem is, if I take it down too early, my curls will take over and I will be left with a waist length puff ball. Not pretty.

kitschy
July 19th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I couldn't wait any longer. My hair is still damp, so it is back in the bun, but I let it down to take a picture. I'm not loving my ends, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my waves. Now, if I can just be patient enough to let it dry!

http://images112.fotki.com/v106/photos/0/1803120/9931107/IMG_1288-vi.jpg

patienceneeded
July 19th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Very pretty hair Kitschy! Love the length. (Your curls are fabulous too.)

When I damp bun it stays damp all day unless I let it down and put it back up several times. Many PP's mentioned this too. I find that damp bunning and then redoing it several times until dry gives me almost straight hair. Which I like.

Arya
July 19th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I couldn't wait any longer. My hair is still damp, so it is back in the bun, but I let it down to take a picture. I'm not loving my ends, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my waves. Now, if I can just be patient enough to let it dry!

Something else I wanted to point out....I damp bun to get spiral curls, not straight hair XD I also don't start damp bunning until my hair is only damp, wet hair or very damp hair will be wet until the cows come home.
You would probably need to switch the direction of your bun several times to get straighter hair. Sorry I didn't think of it earlier!

spirals
July 19th, 2012, 09:05 PM
kitschy, it's awesome curly or wavy! If I brush mine out it waves like that.

kitschy
July 19th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Something else I wanted to point out....I damp bun to get spiral curls, not straight hair XD I also don't start damp bunning until my hair is only damp, wet hair or very damp hair will be wet until the cows come home.
You would probably need to switch the direction of your bun several times to get straighter hair. Sorry I didn't think of it earlier!

I don't think I would ever get straight hair - I was going for bun waves. Did you see my picture? What did you think? Maybe I should post a picture of my normal hair so you can see the difference.

I'm feeling a bit ignored. I guess I am an attention whore, but I tried a whole different style, and I've only gotten one comment on the results....:(

This is my 'before' picture.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8905&pictureid=130220

kitschy
July 19th, 2012, 09:10 PM
kitschy, it's awesome curly or wavy! If I brush mine out it waves like that.

Thank you spirals. If I brush mine out I get a frizzy 2 foot ball of fluff surrounding my head. I often wish my hair was a bit less curly, maybe 2c or 3a so I could have more options.

Your hair is beautiful.

Hollyfire3
July 19th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I LOVE the waves! I wish my hair looked like that when I bun wave it (aka, I have no patience for it to never dry, which it never does dry, make sense?:D). I just love the look of big soft waves on your hair, it is gorgeous!

kitschy
July 19th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks, Hollyfire. I appreciate your input. It takes a ton of patience to get damp buns to dry. Now I have to decide if it was worth the effort.

DarkSky
July 19th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Wow your curls look beautiful! I also like the results from the damp bun. What works well for me when I damp bun is to use coconut oil and re-bun a few times throughout the drying process. I'll air dry to 50 percent, damp bun for awhile then take it out and let it dry to 70 percent, add a good amount of cocunut oil and bun again till it's 80 or 90% dry and repeat the process with a little more coconut oil until it's 100% dry. It usually takes a day and a half though.

Demi-Plum
July 19th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure how long it would take in a bun, but I have noticed that my hair is taking longer to dry since I started the LHC last month. I believe my hair is retaining more moisture (yay!). I haven't put it up wet in a while since my hair is 1b/c and I like it fairly straight usually, but since I have 35" I know I've put it up before and by the end of the day when I take it down it's still wet or well quite damp. But it sure smells good!

meishkamooshka
July 19th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Oh my goodness! The results are WONDERFUL. However, I'm also a fan of the curls. You can't go wrong either way!

Hollyfire3
July 19th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks, Hollyfire. I appreciate your input. It takes a ton of patience to get damp buns to dry. Now I have to decide if it was worth the effort.

Lol! Thats the hard part! I just blow dried my hair straight(ish) and its all smooth and silky...but needs some help on the ends, so i looked in the mirror and was like "crap its already getting wavy AND I need some leave in on the ends...oh screw it I'm gonna use the leave in" so by bed time, all my hard work will be for none and I'll be left with wavy (but moisturized) hair.

jeanniet
July 19th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Wow, what a difference! I love your curls, but those bun waves look really pretty, too.

To answer your question...I don't really know. I'm afraid to see how long it would take. I suspect at least two full days. I don't think I've damp bunned after a wash for longer than about 8 hours. I'm always afraid something weird will happen if I leave it too long. It takes hours to dry as it is.

ladylowtide
July 19th, 2012, 11:30 PM
Pretty waves... but gorgeous curls! I really like your naturally curly photo, just thought you should know.

Falcore
July 20th, 2012, 01:23 AM
The damp bunning turned out really well and you can see a lot more of your length too! It's nice to have a change sometimes, isn't it?

DaniVerde
July 20th, 2012, 06:21 AM
kitschy, that's beautiful! Amazing results!

Are you happy with the straightness of it, or are you going to try again and aim for braid-waves?

CurlyMopTop
July 20th, 2012, 06:35 AM

http://images112.fotki.com/v106/photos/0/1803120/9931107/IMG_1288-vi.jpg

:thudpile:

Either way your hair is looking amazing! You know you're one of my hair idols right? :o (not meant in a creepy way)

kitschy
July 20th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks, DarkSky, I'll have to try coconut oil next time.
meishkamooshka I think I told you I was trying to get my hair to look more like yours. Thanks.
jeanniet Your hair is gorgeous
ladylowtideThanks for both compliments - your color is pretty.
Falcore It is nice to have a change. I went to your homepage, but you don't have any pictures :(
Thank you so much, CurlyMopTop. I 'idol' you back. Love your color and the sproing!
Thanks DaniVerde. Do braid waves dry faster in your experience?

kitschy
July 20th, 2012, 08:16 AM
DaniVerde, you are beautiful.

DaniVerde
July 20th, 2012, 08:24 AM
DaniVerde, you are beautiful.

Wow, thank you :) This made my day! :flower:

From waaaay back when I had long hair, I'd say yes that braid waves did tend to dry a little faster :)

SpinDance
July 20th, 2012, 08:59 AM
kitschy, I have dreams that my hair would curl like yours. :) Grass is always greener, isn't it? I've only got waves, and those don't cooperate very well, but if my hair is put up wet, it stays wet. It has to be taken down regularly to get air to it and eventually will dry that way. My hair is the 'down wool' type of the human hair world - too much wave to be straight, not enough to be 'properly' wavy, certainly not enough to be curly. I'd love to trade with you for a while, though!

kitschy
July 20th, 2012, 09:04 AM
SpinDance, OMGosh your hair is great. Hopefully I will get to your length.

SpinDance
July 20th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I expect you'll reach my length fairly easily, from the way your hemline looks. Mine fairy tails out starting around waist, but it used to start about BSL, so that's an improvement. I'm trying to think of ways for your hair to dry in a manner other than curly, since I gather that's the only way to do what you're looking for, get waves instead of those gorgeous curls. Have you tried parada braided into your hair? Then it would dry in the braid waves, but all the way to the ends of the hair, since parada are longer than your hair. Maybe use 3 or 4 of them, to keep from having flatter areas on your head?

kitschy
July 20th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Have you tried parada braided into your hair? Then it would dry in the braid waves, but all the way to the ends of the hair, since parada are longer than your hair. Maybe use 3 or 4 of them, to keep from having flatter areas on your head?
I'm going to show my ignorance, but I'm not sure I know about prada. I googled for images but I still couldn't tell. Are they hair extensions?

SpinDance
July 20th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I expect you'll reach my length fairly easily, from the way your hemline looks. Mine fairy tails out starting around waist, but it used to start about BSL, so that's an improvement. I'm trying to think of ways for your hair to dry in a manner other than curly, since I gather that's the only way to do what you're looking for, get waves instead of those gorgeous curls. Have you tried parada braided into your hair? Then it would dry in the braid waves, but all the way to the ends of the hair, since parada are longer than your hair. Maybe use 3 or 4 of them, to keep from having flatter areas on your head?

ratgirldjh
July 20th, 2012, 11:35 AM
The trick to damp bunning is taking it down and putting it back up like 500 times so air gets a chance at the inner bits. At least that's my trick. It will be damp for like 36 hours, otherwise (my hair, anyway)

This is what I do - although not quite so many times! If I go outside (when it is warm and sunny) and let it down for a few minutes and then put it back up and do this several times - it dries much faster!

joiekimochi
July 20th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Your hair looks AMAZING curly or wavy, Kitschy!

Tia2010
July 20th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Wow, Kitschy..your hair looks great! I'm a sucker for your curls but the bun waves look really nice!!

wooliswonderful
July 20th, 2012, 11:59 AM

I love the bun waves! :)

lapushka
July 20th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Nice waves, kitschy!

Exactly this! Damp bunning is something else entirely than putting your hair up sopping wet or out of a towel, when it's still mostly wet. Damp bunning is putting it up when it's near to almost dry, IMO.

kitschy
July 20th, 2012, 12:24 PM
wooliswonderful, lapushka, thanks you two!

SpinDance
July 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Sorry, my fingers mis-typed it, should have been paranda or parandi. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490)is the thread about them.

kitschy
July 20th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Sorry, my fingers mis-typed it, should have been paranda or parandi. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490)is the thread about them.

Oh, I see. Those are very pretty too. When I was a teen, I would band, or wrap braids with rags to try to get them to straighten. I also braided my hair with rags. I was trying for perfectly straight hair and of course those methods didn't work for that, but for a relaxed wave they would all work fine.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll have to try it sometime.

brave
July 20th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Your post-bun pictures are awesome! You got truly lovely waves out of the deal and it shows off your length fantastically. However I'm still completely envious of your natural spirals.

spidermom
July 20th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Wow - love the bun/waves result. It looks so much longer!
I like the curls, too.

lacefrost
July 20th, 2012, 07:46 PM
kitschy, your bunwaves look like goddess hair! I concur with the others, only try this on damp hair, it'll dry faster. Also, your curls will take to it just as well. I wish I could damp bun my hair and come out with waves. As for braid waves, if you check my album "Straightish" you can see the difference between bunwaves and braidwaves (on blowdried/straightened hair.) Bunwaves are more loosely wavey and smooth, whereas braid waves are much tighter and when humidity hits, they poof back to curly faster.

kitschy
July 20th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Your post-bun pictures are awesome! You got truly lovely waves out of the deal and it shows off your length fantastically. However I'm still completely envious of your natural spirals.

Brave you are a fiery-tressed sweetheart, - -Thanks!

Wow - love the bun/waves result. It looks so much longer!
I like the curls, too.
Ah spidermom, it is your hair I envision when I see perfect waves, length and color.

kitschy, your bunwaves look like goddess hair! I concur with the others, only try this on damp hair, it'll dry faster. Also, your curls will take to it just as well. I wish I could damp bun my hair and come out with waves. As for braid waves, if you check my album "Straightish" you can see the difference between bunwaves and braidwaves (on blowdried/straightened hair.) Bunwaves are more loosely wavey and smooth, whereas braid waves are much tighter and when humidity hits, they poof back to curly faster.

lacefrost, your straightish hair is beeeaUtiful, and I especially love your bun waves! Since you have experimented with braids and buns, I'll take you at your word that buns waves outlast braid waves. Oh, and I did start out with damp hair (I thought). I bunned about three hours after I washed. I guess it wasn't dry enough.