PDA

View Full Version : How stretchy is too stretchy?

Kaelee
July 18th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I keep hearing people mentioning their hair getting STRETCHY...I thought hair was supposed to be a little stretchy? I mean, not like silly putty or anything, but have a little bounce before it breaks?

My hair has been like this for YEARS (and I get almost no splits...except at the front (must...S&D...). My hair seems to be in awesome condition and I always get compliments on it.

I'm a little confused. I LOVE my stretchy hair! :D

So what do you all mean when you say "stretchy"? I'm guessing it's a lot stretcher than mine, is it more like gum? Or an elastic string out of your sock?

akilina
July 18th, 2012, 11:41 PM
For me stretchy means it feels like weird little rubbery elastic things...uh if that makes any sense hahah. Sometimes on underwear...or those camisoles that have lace on the top and bottom get like this...weird little hairs that were part of the "stretchiness" but they have snapped or ripped so they just dangle there feeling really weird. That is the best way I can describe the way it feels.
I feel this when my hair is wet, and you may have seen my post in the henna section that I hennaed last night and my hair seriously feels horrid.
It is like you can pull on the hair and actually feel it stretch and it does not bounce back.

There is a good, more friendly term for the kind of stretchy you are talking about but for some reason I can not remember it for the life of me -_-.

pink.sara
July 19th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Stretchy, meaning it will stretch until it deforms.

Normal hair will have a certain stretch then snap. Damaged hair (usually from chemical processes or moisture overload/protein deficiency) will stretch and stretch and become permanently thinner and wonky, like stretching chewing gum rather than an elastic.

Often this stretchy hair will feel mushy when wet and take much longer to dry than healthy hair.

Yours sounds perfectly healthy :)