PDA

View Full Version : Hair and neck pain

Jessibear2854
July 18th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Has anyone ever experienced neck pain due to their long hair? Mine isn't super long but it is at waist now and I am having some really bad neck pain. I can't even turn my head side to side. I usually wear my hair in a figure eight bun during the day and a banded pony with baby scrunchies at night. Wondering if I cut some length off if my neck would feel better. My hair is not super long or super thick, though:confused:

Madora
July 18th, 2012, 10:46 PM
That must be miserable!

Are you sure you haven't injured your neck some way? I've never heard of hair causing neck pain, especially when you wear it up like you do.

Have you tried other styles? Would you pillow have anything to do with your pain? Maybe try a firmer pillow?

hairhair
July 18th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I do the banded ponytail at night too. :) Can never be bothered braiding and it has the same tangle-prevention effect at this length.

I have to agree with Madora -- are you sure you haven't done something else to your neck? Especially if the pain has come on suddenly, as hair does grow quite slowly. I've heard of hair causing neck pain, but that was someone at beyond-classic length (and a child, too).

neko_kawaii
July 19th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I occasionally get neck pains that I can't attribute to anything else and blame on my hair. I try different hair styles for a few days but I think it is remembering to do stretches that really helps. There was a great thread not long ago where someone gave instructions for some good neck stretches. . . found it! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=2188803&postcount=13

Sarahlabyrinth
July 19th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Can't imagine how your hair would be causing the pain. Do look into every other possible cause before you chop any of that beautiful hair off. Hope the pain goes away.

Diamond.Eyes
July 19th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Some buns really strain my neck. Maybe you could try some new buns out, particularly ones that support the weight of your hair. I personally prefer the lazy-wrap bun, cinnabun, or any kind of braid. Hair pins can aid in supporting some of the weight of your hair. :flower:

torrilin
July 19th, 2012, 05:25 AM
While my hair has never directly caused neck pain, some kinds of updos encourage me to use terrible posture. Terrible posture leads to a sore neck.

The solution is pretty simple... wear a different updo. If you can do a figure 8 bun, you can probably also do a flipped cinnabun. My hair is a good bit thinner than yours, but a figure 8 is not always a great bun for me. It can bulge out from my head so I tend to bump chair backs, and that's a great way to send me of into a bad posture spiral. Flipped cinnabuns are flatter and less likely to cause problems. Vortex buns are also pretty flat.

RubySlippers
July 19th, 2012, 05:48 AM
When I started putting my hair up in a bun on top of my head for the night it resulted in me sleeping a bit funny a couple of times, and very slight neck pain. Not enough that I could call it a crick in my neck and attribute it to sleeping badly, just enough to be slightly uncomfortable.

I have repositioned my night time bun and beaten my pillows up a bit and it's much better. Could it be that?

swearnsue
July 19th, 2012, 08:33 AM
I easily hurt my neck because I have arthritis and ruptured discs in my neck. I had been waking up with a stiff neck and like you said I could barely turn by head side to side. What has really helped me is how I wear it at night. When I left it loose at night I realized that during the night I was moving my head weird to get the hair out of my way when I turned over. When you are asleep you aren't aware of moving your head or neck in "bad" ways. So I started wearing my hair in a pony at the very top of my head at night! It looks ridiculous but it has really helped. Last night I wore my satin sleep cap and that worked well also.