PDA

View Full Version : How do you DPN?

Natalia
July 18th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I use mine everyday. Just some extras i had that i bent around the neck of a water bottle. Nothing fancy probably aboult 3/4 inch between the tines. Anyone fancy theirs differently? Shapes/sizes/ect....?

Kaelee
July 18th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Pardon my ignorance but what's DPN?

Bene
July 18th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Double pointed needles, that's the only thing I can think of.

I haven't done it myself, but I've seen people mention curving theirs on door knobs.

sparrowswing
July 18th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I use mine just about every day too.

I like mine a bit narrower. I just bend them with my hands; usually they're about 1/4" - 3/8" between the tines. The first one I tried bending around a bottle of nail polish. It wound up uneven, with one of the tines about a quarter inch longer than the other, so I had trouble getting it in my hair straight. I finally straightened and re-bent it to match the others. It was also about 3/4" between the tines originally, and that didn't work as well for me as the narrower ones.

I have some dangles from a pair of hairsticks that were way too long (9", not counting the dangly bits) that I sometimes slide onto a DPN. The DPN basically disappears into my hair, and all you see are the dangles. It's pretty cool.

jeanniet
July 18th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Double-pointed (knitting) needles as pins or forks. Took me a minute to figure out what she meant. Alas, OP, I've never tried them. I think my hair would spit them out.

Kaelee
July 18th, 2012, 10:26 PM
I have one bent over a doorknob (with uneven tines. Le sigh.) and it doesn't hold for anything. Maybe I should try it in combination with some other ones?

akilina
July 18th, 2012, 10:27 PM
What, what what, and what???
Someone fill me in please haha.

Natalia
July 19th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Oh geez ive been on lhc too long i figured dpn was as ingrained as smt lol. yes i did mean double pointed knitting needles like the kind you use to make socks. basically a really cheap way to make a water proof hair forks.

Shiranshoku
July 19th, 2012, 03:39 AM
I have mostly wooden dpn's that I can't bend, but they double quite well as hair sticks. A bit too long, but functional :)

I think the Harmony dpn's (from Knitpicks? Knitpro?) would make great hairsticks, too... Hmmm :)

I'm looking forward to the day that I spot someone knitting in public, sit next to them, whip out my needles-in-disguise and say: Pass the yarn, will ya?

RubySlippers
July 19th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Is the some benefit to using double pointed needles, that you wouldn't get from a hair fork or hair stick? I'm just thinking that getting dpns and bending them would be, for me, more trouble and expense than getting a hair fork, so is there some reason that I'm missing why I should do it?

Medievalmaniac
July 19th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Well, you can buy double-pointed knitting needles at a craft store for about $4.00 - so it could definitely be cheaper than buying a $20.00-$40.00 hair fork made by someone else. I can see where someone would do it to have a metal hair fork and save money. It's actually a pretty clever solution, I think. :)

Bene
July 19th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Oh geez ive been on lhc too long i figured dpn was as ingrained as smt lol. yes i did mean double pointed knitting needles like the kind you use to make socks. basically a really cheap way to make a water proof hair forks.

You know, it took me a moment to decipher what DPN meant in this context. You see, I'm all creepy and pervy, so when I see DP anything, I'm thinking something else entirely. Which is why I clicked on this thread.

How do you DPN?

Inner Bene convo: How do you DPN? DP Naturally? DP Negotiate? DP Normally? I don't know, but whatever it is, you gotta do it carefully :bigeyes: I wonder if the mods will keep that one open, let me check to see what it is before it gets shut down!

RubySlippers
July 19th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Well, you can buy double-pointed knitting needles at a craft store for about $4.00 - so it could definitely be cheaper than buying a $20.00-$40.00 hair fork made by someone else. I can see where someone would do it to have a metal hair fork and save money. It's actually a pretty clever solution, I think. :)

Oh wow, I had no idea they could be found so cheap! But then Dublin is horribly deficient in craft and knitting stores.

Now, tell me, are they really bendable. I'm pretty weedy and I'm also worried it'll snap (contradiction, I know). I just might try this.

But first I shall watch this thread.

P.s. Bene: heeheehee snort :D

afu
July 19th, 2012, 05:12 AM
a DPN was my first hairstick :) I still sometimes use it if im bunning wet hair (mine is pretty thin and i fin it goes through wet hair better than chunkier toys), I've never bent them into fork/pins though

SunlightShines
July 19th, 2012, 05:12 AM
You know, it took me a moment to decipher what DPN meant in this context. You see, I'm all creepy and pervy, so when I see DP anything, I'm thinking something else entirely. Which is why I clicked on this thread.

How do you DPN?

Inner Bene convo: How do you DPN? DP Naturally? DP Negotiate? DP Normally? I don't know, but whatever it is, you gotta do it carefully :bigeyes: I wonder if the mods will keep that one open, let me check to see what it is before it gets shut down!

hahahaha! :lol: You just made my day!! I really needed that chuckle!

TheLuckyLurker
July 19th, 2012, 04:22 PM
So... for you DPN veterans, any tips on how to bend the needles so the ends are even? My efforts have been made of fail.

DreadfulWoman
July 19th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I have one that I wear almost every day, and it's the only thing I can safely wear in my hair when it's wet. I made mine from a longer-than-normal dpn, and probably a size 1 or 2 (so, pretty slender), but alas, I have yet to make one with even ends. I don't how other people make theirs look so nice.

And Bene - You are totally making it impossible to post anything about DPNs with a straight face. I hope you know that. :p

Unicorn
July 19th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I love my DPNs.

To make the ends even, I mark the middle with a pencil, then ensure the mark is central on the top of the door handle, then just push down on both.

I also use black nail varnish to paint the curve, which allows it to disappear against my hair. I haven't thought of prettying it up. I'm interested in reading more ideas.

Unicorn

Bene
July 19th, 2012, 05:13 PM
And Bene - You are totally making it impossible to post anything about DPNs with a straight face. I hope you know that. :p

Well, I snicker like a 12 year old boy when this thread gets bumped.

Do you like your DPN's? Why, I luuuurve my DPN's.

How do you like them? Oh, about 5 inches long, and leaning towards the right, if I have a choice.

How do you get your DPN'S straight? Carefully :) I like to use a soda bottle, or a doorknob, but methods will vary.

Seriously, I could go on for hours in this direction.

It's a seedy world inside my head. There's a crunchy little pervert living in my temporal lobe. I manage to keep him locked up most of the time. But sometimes, that little mofo jumps out of an alley in a trenchcoat and dirty sneakers and yells "Howdy" to innocent bystanders, while showing them his endowments. And DPN's.

ratgirldjh
July 19th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I love mine too. I first thought of it when I saw some 'forks' on Etsy that were just bent dpns and expensive! Then I came on here and did and search found more about it.

Luckily I had a set of 5 - size 3 - 7" dpns - bought from Wal-Mart for just over $2.00! I HATED them for knitting (i prefer wood) and had been meaning to take them back!

I bent mine over a doorknob and have been using them ever since!!!

My mom saw me wearing one and wants some too now! She says she wants purple... mine are green and they mostly came out even all except for one which is maybe 1/8" off and it is my favorite one! Mine are about 3/4" between the tines - just how they came out after bending on a doorknob :D

eternallyverdan
July 19th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Oh, yes, DPNs, I do them all the time! Just bend them over and stick 'em in! :eyebrows:

Ahem. What I meant to say was, I do enjoy using double pointed knitting needles in my hairstyles-- I do the usual over the doorknob trick to make them, and I use them in a variety of updos.

hele911
July 19th, 2012, 05:50 PM
wow ladies now I am planning a trip to walmart tomorrow just to buy cheap sticks to try doing this. I have been admiring way too many and they are expensive. Since I am still new at the hair toy thing, I hope this works...........and I hope they have purple or light blue sticks.......lol :)

sparrowswing
July 19th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Well, I snicker like a 12 year old boy when this thread gets bumped.

Do you like your DPN's? Why, I luuuurve my DPN's.

How do you like them? Oh, about 5 inches long, and leaning towards the right, if I have a choice.

How do you get your DPN'S straight? Carefully :) I like to use a soda bottle, or a doorknob, but methods will vary.

Seriously, I could go on for hours in this direction.

It's a seedy world inside my head. There's a crunchy little pervert living in my temporal lobe. I manage to keep him locked up most of the time. But sometimes, that little mofo jumps out of an alley in a trenchcoat and dirty sneakers and yells "Howdy" to innocent bystanders, while showing them his endowments. And DPN's.
I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read this. Seriously, I know the feeling, but I've never articulated it anywhere near so well.

I meant to take a picture of mine, but the little buggers seem to have all wandered off at the moment. Yet another reason to stick with an inexpensive alternative to standard hair forks. That and I use them in the shower. As for getting them even, I measure before starting to find the center, and then measure again about 80% of the way through the process so I can make any last-second alterations necessary. I never thought of nail polish so they'd blend in with my hair, though. They stay hidden pretty well anyway, but I just may have to try that.

akilina
July 19th, 2012, 06:42 PM

How do you DPN?

HAHA you aren't the only one with the pervy mind. I saw this and went oh godd...so many posibilities...:eyebrows:

ravenheather
July 19th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Mine isn't even, but it doesn't bother me.

Natalia
July 19th, 2012, 09:16 PM

How do you DPN?

yes the same thought finally hit me last night. i logged off and went "oh geez i didnt realize how dirty that sounded till now LOL"! man i was having a :doh: moment when i wrote this on but hey its provided plenty of entertainment right?

So... for you DPN veterans, any tips on how to bend the needles so the ends are even? My efforts have been made of fail.

i havent quite figured that one out. my fav that i wear is actually just a tad uneven. the other one i dont like as much is even but the top part isnt round its kinda pointed off to one side and it sticks out of my bun funny its also a bit wider and doesnt hold as well.

hahaha i love this! yeah his cousin lives in my head too.

I never thought of nail polish so they'd blend in with my hair, though. They stay hidden pretty well anyway, but I just may have to try that.

i love the polish idea too but for a whole other reason. i would paint my tines funky colors just for my own amusment. like wearing fancy panties and no one knows but you, it just makes your day more fun lol

kallarina
July 19th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Um, could someone post a picture so I can see what these look like? I'm very interested, but I'm very visual...

vanity_acefake
July 19th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Oh wow, I had no idea they could be found so cheap! But then Dublin is horribly deficient in craft and knitting stores.

Now, tell me, are they really bendable. I'm pretty weedy and I'm also worried it'll snap (contradiction, I know). I just might try this.

RubySlippers I found loads in a charity shop. Hopefully you might find some in one.
And I bend mine round a broom handle.

vanity_acefake
July 19th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Kallarina these are them

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g364/vanity_acefake/8c5dc034.jpg

novemberfoxtrot
July 19th, 2012, 11:50 PM
I have mostly wooden dpn's that I can't bend, but they double quite well as hair sticks. A bit too long, but functional :)

I think the Harmony dpn's (from Knitpicks? Knitpro?) would make great hairsticks, too... Hmmm :)

I'm looking forward to the day that I spot someone knitting in public, sit next to them, whip out my needles-in-disguise and say: Pass the yarn, will ya?

I have definitely eyed my Harmony needles!

SilverMcFly17
July 20th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I'll be lurking this for pictures. Are we talking half moon bend? Corkscrew bend? I'm all confused but I need a new way to put up my hair before I cut it all off!!!!

Shiranshoku
July 20th, 2012, 01:12 AM
I have definitely eyed my Harmony needles!

They're sooo purty! In Belgium you can only get them from Prym, and they're less rainbowy, more muted, and imho, even prettier. I love knitting with them!