PDA

View Full Version : Scritching

LaurelSpring
August 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Could someone please explain scritching to me. I got a horn comb but Im not exactly sure what I am supposed to do with it as far as scritching.

Also, I thought I remember a thread about the care of horn combs. If someone could lead me in that direction it would be greatly appreaciated.

Silver & Gold
August 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Here is my explanation in another post:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=43285&postcount=2

As far as care . . . try not to get them too wet, you can comb damp hair but dry the comb afterwards. I'm told you should never let them soak in water. You can keep them conditioned by rubbing some lanolin on them on occasion.

LaurelSpring
August 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Thank you for the link Silver and Gold. It helped alot!

Silver & Gold
August 4th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Not at all, glad to help.

GreenGables
August 19th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I use my fingernails rather than a comb, doing small movements in circles or sideways all over the scalp. Then I use only my fingertips and massage all over the same way.

heidi w.
August 19th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Silver & Gold's explanation in her link is pretty accurate. I would add that for scritching from the front hairline back, to draw all the hair back, away from the face.

One does not detangle with this comb, thus, there should be no tangling.

Proceed in rows from the top center over to one ear, and then the other side. I overlap the rows slightly. This way I can keep track of the area that's done.

The backside of the head, I divide the hair in half and draw it forward and scritch from the center line down an angle towards the ears and similarly below the ears.

For the back of the head hairline, I lift the hair and scritch in an upward motion. This section of hair is much thicker in volume for most than the other areas of hair, so the fine toothed comb may meet some resistance.

To get behind the ears, flip the comb so the teeth face down into the fold of the ear behind the ears, then flip, and go up to the center hair line.

I scritch before every single hair wash to loosen detris to achieve a cleaner scalp after a hair wash. I have used it to massage my scalp at times, but mostly as a step in preparing for a hair wash.

heidi w.

jojo
August 19th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Thanks for this, I often wonder what it is.

Is the purpose just to remove scalp muck or is there other benefits to scritching?

heidi w.
August 19th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for this, I often wonder what it is.

Is the purpose just to remove scalp muck or is there other benefits to scritching?

You can use between hair washes as a massaging technique to stimulate blood flow via the veins to each hair follicle and thus spread through the system of capillaries just under the scalp skin.

Sometimes I itch a tad amount between hair washes and scritching helps manage this sensation, too. I believe it's better than using fingers which can add and spread bacteria. Those of us with scalp skin conditions (I have seborrheic dermatitus) have to watch it with those fingers!

heidi w.

jojo
August 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks heidi for explaining that, I love having my head scratched now I have the perfect excuse to do it!!

rapunzhell13
August 20th, 2008, 01:55 AM
What are the best combs for scritching and where can they be bought (preferably online)?