PDA

View Full Version : Styles to wear to work

neelblue
August 4th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I'd love to hear some suggestion of hair style that would look professional, not too dressy and can be worn to work regularly.

sahiba
August 4th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Don't add too flashy hair accessories and I think any bun or braid would be fine. I feel long hair in any 'tied' style is formal.:)

Hypnotica
August 4th, 2008, 12:14 PM
All kinds of buns and twists. If you can, some braids are also quite classy.

Bene
August 4th, 2008, 12:18 PM
no accessories that are sparkly, flashy, bright or "interesting".... most buns will work though, use solid colors that don't stand out too much or clash with your work attire

Chromis
August 4th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Any bun I can think of, log rolls, folded braids, French braid, French twist...plenty of choices!

Delenn
August 4th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I mostly do a braided bun for work because it stays put nicely and is quick in the morning. For accessories I pick: Mei Fa sticks, ketylos, quattros, baerreis forks, and most recently I've added flexi-8s and ficcarissimos. I've never once had a complaint that I wasn't professional looking, and believe me... I'd hear about it. =p

verene
August 4th, 2008, 03:48 PM
For work I wear either a twisted-bun, or a braided bun, held in place with a scrunchie or clip. They style stays in place all day, is easy to do, looks professional, and best of all allows me to not break any rules about needing to keep my hair orderly and above my shoulders. :-)

Euphony
August 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM
For work I usually just do a Gibraltar bun held with a stick or fork. Easy, comfy and I am pretty sure professional - fortunately with my job even though I'm in an office I can and do on occasion wear my old jeans :smile:

CurlyNinja
August 4th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I like to wear a single braid, infinity bun, or (less often) cinnabun to work. It's easy, non-distracting, and looks neat.

teela1978
August 4th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I think a tucked braid (folded, ends pinned under where the braid starts) looks nice and not too fancy.

Calanthe
August 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I try to wear a different style every day. But anyway, a classic bun and its variations or a twist is always neat. I mostly use forks and combs for work and save the glitzy stuff for evening wear, although I'm in an office where you can get away with almost everything.

Semiramis
August 5th, 2008, 12:59 AM
The French twist is my favourite. Apart from that, cinamon bun, braided bun, braided ponytail looks very nice in an office job, single braid for Friday!

willowcandra
August 5th, 2008, 01:09 AM
my work faves were.....dutch braid, log roll, cinnabun.

InDarkestKnight
August 5th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I've got a related curiosity - what's a good style for someone working in an environment which requires that hair be covered, like a chef's kitchen?

morgwn
August 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM
For covered hair, a cinnabun is pretty easy and will cover well. For regular work, however, I like French twists and simple buns like a braided bun held with a fork or stick. A folded over braid works well, too.

Calanthe
August 5th, 2008, 03:47 AM
When I worked in the school's kitchen I wore a cinnabun and a bandana or a pretty bun cover. It looked ok and chef was happy (he was known to give out scrunchies ;)).

MoonCreature
August 5th, 2008, 04:30 AM
A cinnabun, beebut-bun, braided bun, gibraltarbun and figure 8 are my standard buns at work. I use simple sticks without any decoration, one painted black with a ball on one end or two natural wooden ones.

Yellowmoon
August 5th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I normally use to wear all sorts of buns (sometimes braided), secured with bobby pins or more sophisticated clips like ficcare. Sometimes I use hairsticks for work styles except of the very long ones ;-). I would also recommend a single braid or ponytail or folded (tucked) braid.

MusingFrog
August 5th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I wear an inside-out bun secured with a scrunchie every day to work. I also wear this bun while at home and also while exercising. It is quick, easy, and to make it dressier I could easily substitute a wood fork for the scrunchie.

Xi
August 5th, 2008, 10:32 PM
InDarkestKnight:

I wore this braided bun while working in my lab; I needed something that absolutely wouldn't fall down into my E.coli, and that had no clips or sticks hanging out to snag on things. Perhaps it would work well for your covered-hair job?

1) Make one firm English braid (for added security, use hair elastics at top and bottom).
2) Tie braid in knot on top, pushing knot carefully up against the scalp.
3) Tightly wrap rest of braid around the knot cinnamon-bun style; tuck elastic and tassel up under one of the loops of braid and pull a bit to tighten the loop.
4) Secure with 4 or so bobby pins.

My hair was just shy of TBL when I used this style daily. As an added bonus, several people have told me this functional style looks nice (N.B. they were short-haired friends of mine who (1) knew little of long hair styles and (2) may have just been trying to make me happy:rolleyes:).