PDA

View Full Version : I just did my first S&D!

RubySlippers
July 18th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I feel like I've been initiated into a special club!

I also feel just great about the amount of yickyness that I managed to remove from my hair (although that doesn't speak very well of my hair care over the last few months! Actually- come to think of it, it's over a year since I got my hair cut so maybe it wasn't so bad!)

The other lovely thing about S&D is that you get a good look at whole hunks of flawless hair. It's very lovely, and quite motivating to keep all of my hair like that!

Thank you all for convincing me, by your general chatter on the subject, that it is possible and worthwhile.

X

Iolanthe13
July 18th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Ha, congratulations! And welcome to the world of staring at your hair close up with a new form of OCD...

Seriously, though, it was S&Ding that convinced me to give up heat styling for good (though I occasionally blow dry on the cool setting). Every time I heat-styled, all that beautiful work was gone. But after a few months here, my splits are down by about 75-80% - so it is possible! Good luck :)

lmfbs
July 18th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I love the feeing of S&Ding too. When I first started in January, if I looked at a section of hair, probably 80% were damaged. Now, after S&Ding the damage and caring for my hair to prevent further damage, a similar section might yeild 1-2 damaged hairs.

It's great because I can cut only the damaged strands, so while I probably have lost a tiny bit of length, I'm only snipping what I need so I'm still losing much, much less than a trim and I'm making sure I get the actual damage.

einna
July 18th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Nice, I`m gonna start this soon to. Procrastinating it, but now that I am only microtrimming for a while, to get some length, I think this is needed. :)

RubySlippers
July 19th, 2012, 03:41 AM
I was putting it off too, but I did it during an online class I had to attend last night (I know that's really bad, but it's just like the way I used to avoid tidying my room like hell, until I had homework that needed to be done!)
I didn't learn much, but I got rid of my splits!!!

And I am slightly worried about the OCD aspect - I already have a tendency to obsess over things and this is just WAY too finickety and obsess-worthy. There go my evenings!

Winnie!
July 21st, 2012, 03:52 PM
once you start you'll never stop :D

Madora
July 21st, 2012, 04:01 PM
You're that much ahead of the game every time you S and D! Do it regularly and your hair will reap the benefits.

RubySlippers
July 22nd, 2012, 05:12 AM
I don't think there's any danger of me NoT doing it regularly!

After my first shot I thought "brilliant, no more splits" and I felt all smug. But then I noticed that in a different light there seemed to be even more splits than I first saw, and I realised that I had a completely unrealistic idea of how damaged my hair really is! My last few inches are the last bit of my hair that used to be blonde, and frequently heat styled (as a result of looking like straw otherwise, as a result of being blonde!) so it's shot to bits.

And there I was thinking I got them all! :lol:

It'll be some time before I can spend less than half an hour snipping obvious splits.

BrownEyedBeauty
July 22nd, 2012, 05:54 AM
I have become an S&D addict. Its great to do because even if you get the ends trimmed regularly, you could never get to the shorter, younger hairs that are growing in without S&D. It is definitely worthwhile.