PDA

View Full Version : Every time I run my fingers over my hair, I find some loose hair..

Curlsgirl
August 4th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Honestly, it almost seems like every time I and sometimes it is 4 or 5 hairs depending on how long it has been since I washed or detangled. Does anyone else experience this? I think it has been more common lately but my thickness so far isn't any different I don't think. I don't detangle every day and only CWC once a week usually so I know that is part of it. But it is a little creepy at times :shudder:

Honey39
August 4th, 2008, 10:52 AM
This happened to me a while ago - and the thing that really helps was to STOP TUGGING AT MY HAIR! lol. I was losing hair, and I hated it, so after a while I made a resolution to ONLY detangle/comb in the shower, and not at any other time. That really helped, because I think i was over-focused on my hair, and yes, I was having a massive shed, but it didn't help to forever be seeking the evidence!

Plus, it's summer - it's natural for hair to come out now and to have a bit of a moult. i remember reading all about the phases of hair growth, and I think about 10% of hair follicles are 'resting' at any one time.

Try not to worry about it, you have gorgeous hair, and it doesn't sound honestly like you have anything to worry about other than a bit of a summer shed!

lapushka
August 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I've been losing lots of hair for a number of months now, shedding like mad. It's really odd, and I don't know why. This is the first year that this is happening for a prolonged period of time. Usually it lasts about one month in spring, and one month in the fall. I'm guessing it's hormonal, due to going off and on BC these past months. It has gotten slightly better now that I'm back on BC, and the last time I washed my hair it was hardly noticeable (to my surprise). Then yesterday while combing, lots and lots of hairs came out. It has me worried. And other than the hormones, I have no explanation.

It's not the first time I've heard someone complain of this, though.

Siava
August 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Maybe it's because you don't detangle every day and now that you're actively looking for sheds, you're finding them. If you detangled every day it might not seem like you're shedding as much. Just a theory. :)

lora410
August 4th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Don't feel bad im going through a bad shed as well.

yrrebwartsymssi
August 4th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Don't feel bad im going through a bad shed as well.

I am going through this as well... but i think mine is from postpartum-ness lol

Katze
August 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
this happens to me all the time - I thought it was normal (?!)

I notice that my hair is happier if I don't touch it. If I touch it, it gets stringier faster. However, it is very hard to resist finger-detangling as I mostly do wear my hair down most of the time.

dorothea-brooke
August 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Yes, this sounds extremely familiar! My routine is similar to yours: I used to not de-tangle much, and wash only once a week. Then, every time I ran my hand over my hair about 6 hairs would come out. Every time. "Creepy" is the exact right word for it! :rolleyes:

Then I started de-tangling with a horn comb every morning and evening, and while 5-6 hairs come out each time I do it, I don't lose hairs "randomly" every time I touch it. The overall shed rate is certainly the same, but it doesn't creep me out to lose hairs while combing the way it does when just touching it. :lol:

Hang in there! Remember, you're going to lose 20-60 hairs a day one way or another, so if you're not losing them in the shower or while brushing, they're going to come out on their own....

dorothea

Curlsgirl
August 4th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Well I did just go off of HRT (hormone replacement therapy) about a month ago because of problems with it. Maybe that could be a part of it. One reason I catch them is that a hair or two will be "longer" than the rest because it's fallen out so either I or someone else I know finds it and pulls it out before it sheds or it is brushing my arm or something. I think it is more than normal though but I just need to know it's okay. Even when you have quite a bit of hair it can be a little scary!

Oh and thanks for the compliment Honey39 :love:

Curlsgirl
August 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
:doh: I just realized I was on a high dose of prednisone for a week about a month ago also when I had pneumonia! I bet that is the reason for this more than usual shed!!! I just googled and found it is very common when taking prednisone. It should taper off then very soon. I can't believe I didn't think of this before.

spidermom
August 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I always drag hairs out when I put my fingers in my hair. I do try to avoid it. I pull out fewer hairs with my comb, or so it seems to me.

It looks like you have plenty of hairs to spare; don't worry.

FrannyG
August 4th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Curlsgirl, don't fret over this. This happens to me too, always has, and my hair is actually fuller now than it was when I joined here. If it was, in fact the prednisone, it will not go on for very long. :flowers:

dorothea-brooke
August 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I agree -- don't fret! :flower:

I had a massive shed that seemed to go on forever last autumn, and my hair doesn't look any different. Okay, it's a bit different, but because I cut bangs and layers. :rolleyes: The overall thickness was not affected.

I think it takes a looooot of shedding to make any kind of noticeable difference when one's hair is as thick (and lovely) as yours!

dorothea

girlcat36
August 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
This happens to me all the time! But my hair is thin, so it scares me! Curlsgirl--don't worry, you have the hair to spare!

DMARTINEZ
August 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM
My hair has done this for years! short or long. :) It normal,for me at least! ;)

Deb

Curlsgirl
August 4th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I knew you all would make me feel better!!! I love you all! Thanks for all the kind words :love:

coppercurls
August 4th, 2008, 10:11 PM
My hair has done this for years! short or long. :) It normal,for me at least! ;)

Deb

Mine does this too! I think I notice more now just because the hairs are long & it seems like more, but I bet if I counted, the number of hairs has stayed about the same. ;)

WavyGirl
August 5th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Mine has done this my whole life! Even when it was pixie short I would notice shed hairs everywhere. Very dark hair makes them extremely obvious and I've always had a high shed rate. It seems worse now because they are so long, but it's really not. It doesn't bother me because it is just part of having hair. What would we look like if they never fell out? I know big sheds are never fun, but they are natural and they don't go on forever. So don't panic, because stress will only make it worse. Take comfort in the fact that what you're noticing is more likely to be extra length.

morgwn
August 5th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Shedding in the summer when it finally gets warmer seems pretty normal to me. And between all of the factors I'm hearing about, Curlsgirl, it sounds like the shed is pretty normal. Don't fret at this point in time. :flower:

paper
August 5th, 2008, 04:58 AM
This was happening to me in the spring. I had lots of hair in the shower and everytime I ran my ringers through my hair, I pulled out hairs. That only lasted couple months. I have stopped shedding and now have bunch of frizzy baby hairs. :)

Miriela
August 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Yes, me too. Always.

This is probably also because you have curly hair, so the shed hairs are not just going to fall in a way you don't notice: they stick around and you HAVE to find them to get them to separate from the rest of your hair. If that makes sense.

IE my mom has 1a short hair, and if her hair sheds during the day, it just falls off her head and onto her shirt. Whereas if my hair falls out during the day, it stays stuck in with all the the other hairs, until I fingercomb/brush and it gets picked up.

Curlsgirl
August 5th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Yes, me too. Always.

This is probably also because you have curly hair, so the shed hairs are not just going to fall in a way you don't notice: they stick around and you HAVE to find them to get them to separate from the rest of your hair. If that makes sense.

IE my mom has 1a short hair, and if her hair sheds during the day, it just falls off her head and onto her shirt. Whereas if my hair falls out during the day, it stays stuck in with all the the other hairs, until I fingercomb/brush and it gets picked up.

Yes that is a good point too! Plus I wear it up or braided away from home almost all summer.