PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated...help!

Kaelee
July 18th, 2012, 08:12 AM
So for the past two days I can't do a thing. With. My. Hair. Forget putting it up in a twist, I can't even twist it! I can barely get it to stay up with a clip, if it doesn't fall out immediately, it pulls one way or the other so uncomfortably I have to take it out. It spits out sticks.

It's light, floofy, soft and just....BONZAIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I was so frustrated I wanted to cut it off. I didn't oil it last night which was part of the problem I think.

I got it up with sticks yesterday by wetting it first, but today I finally just grabbed a trusty claw clip...which is again pulling uncomfortably.

There's nothing like being unable to get your hair off your neck in 90*+ heat or facing a constant uneven tug at the back of your head to drive one completely batty.

:justy:

I'm considering grabbing that bottle of aloe gel I have and seeing if I can do something with THAT to force my hair into submission. Not sure how to do it though.

Could the ACV I've been drinking daily have caused changes in my hair? Or is it just that this happens sometimes, and I wouldn't have noticed because I usually just wore it in a ponytail?

SerinaDaith
July 18th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Have you sworn off scrunchies and elastics? My go too at that length was always a ponytail or a braid. Maybe do a super light oil as well to give your hair something to stick to?

SerinaDaith
July 18th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Your hair is lovely by the way!

Kaelee
July 18th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Have you sworn off scrunchies and elastics? My go too at that length was always a ponytail or a braid. Maybe do a super light oil as well to give your hair something to stick to?

I haven't found a scrunchie that could hold my hair for longer than 1 minute lol. I do use elastics (I still sleep in a ponytail!) but I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Vivalagina
July 18th, 2012, 08:32 AM
My hair is about your length. When I can't it to stay back, my go-to style is to to do piggy tail braids near the nape of my neck, then bun those and tuck in the ends and either bobby pin or use jaw clips to secure.

silverpiper
July 18th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I know this problem well! On the worst days when my hair is impossible to put up I dampen it and run a small amount of a very light mousse through it. The occasional use doesn't seem to bother my hair any and texturizes it enough to get it to stay up. The stretchy combs can be a life saver as weel.

Katze
July 18th, 2012, 09:22 AM
mini claw clips. twist small sections, pin to back of head, repeat. This look is infinitely variable and great when it's hot, and works well with messy/unruly hair like mine.

The only way I can get a smooth updo is to start with dirty hair, brush it flat, oil it or put conditioner in it, then put product in it to hold it in place, plus thousands of bobby pins and other accessories.

Kaelee
July 18th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I'm thinking I might need to get ahold of some leave in condish soon (the Aussie stuff I have is serious build up city)...this is going to be a frequent problem with my hair since I'm now insisting on doing updos. :D

catamonica
July 18th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I wear a low braided bun. And use wide bobby pins. Maybe a low bun would help.

Vanille_
July 18th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Have you tried spin pins? My hair doesn't like hair sticks and bobby pins. I use the normal size of these, but maybe the mini size (http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Simple-Styles-assorted-colors/dp/B0055Y9AIY/ref=pd_bxgy_bt_text_b) would be good for you?

ETA: I use these for a simple bun. One on each side (one above the other) works great. I've never had such a firm hold in a bun.

jacqueline101
July 18th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I'd say try a pony tail put it up and clip a barrette in like mine simple and up.

neko_kawaii
July 18th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I know the feeling. One day it works and the next day it doesn't. Keep at it and you'll figure something out. Also, more length will help. Keep that in mind when you want to reach for the scissors, they aren't the answer you are looking for!

On a slightly related note, when I finally trimmed off the last of the dry ends from three years of neglect NOTHING stayed put. All those velcro ends were useful it turns out. It felt like it took me a month before I was confident in updos again. So, sounds like your hair is in very good condition. Congratulations!

heidi w.
July 18th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Is your hair dry? Is it not taking up applications of conditioner? Is it kind of fly-away or frizzy? If yes, you may well need to perform a clarify hair wash, and then your hair will return to normal. Make SURE that you condition well as part of this type of hair wash. Clarifying strips everything off the hair; so one MUST replace what's been removed or you'll have even drier hair. It will work, but you have to condition as part of this type of hair wash.

Drinking ACV is not going to change hair's behavior overly. It simply helps with pH balancing the blood. That's all.

heidi w.

Kaelee
July 18th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I just clarified last night and conditioned. This is part of my normal hair routine and I neverhave problems. I don't think it's dry, maybe a little. But not bad.

Mya
July 18th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Braiding is always the solution for me. Even a silly, short, loose fishtail braid does the trick. If hair on your neck really bothers you, go with the crown braid, it keeps all of your hair up and you can't even feel it.
Then stop worrying about your hair and oils etc., I mean, let you hair do what it wants, if you count too much on oils you go neutoric the day your hair doesn't look the way you expect.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 19th, 2012, 04:32 AM
If I am ever in a hair - panic I usually put it in a ponytail. It cant refuse to do that, lol. I know what you mean though.
My hair is all slippy today after washing last night and it has been really hard to get an updo to hold properly. Some days its best just to give up and find something else to worry about (thats what I was telling myself this morning anyway).
Maybe your hair will be better tomorrow. And I'm glad you got some pretty hairsticks. I have just bought a Titanic comb.