PDA

View Full Version : Heat damage! :(

CurlyCurves
July 18th, 2012, 07:35 AM
I have heat damage :(

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/314739_4362968112792_365338478_n.jpg

Curls are looser and acting strange. A few individual strands are actually straight. I never blow dry. Only occasionally flat iron. I had a bad feeling the last time I flat ironed (5th July), and it's actually happened. The heat affected my curl pattern.

So, doing this tonight;

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/548232_4362926751758_543794059_n.jpg.

And I'm not even going to look at a flat iron for a very long time shudder:

Any other curlies have experience of curl loosening after flat ironing?

Cafe au Lait
July 18th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Oh YES. I used to be a 3a/3b, but I flat ironed my curls for YEARS. I've been heat-free for a few months now and my hair still hasn't recovered. :(

CurlyCurves
July 18th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Oh YES. I used to be a 3a/3b, but I flat ironed my curls for YEARS. I've been heat-free for a few months now and my hair still hasn't recovered. :(

I'm sorry :( are you planning to cut the damage out gradually?

Cafe au Lait
July 18th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Yes. I plan on growing to APL, then maintaining there and slowing cut the damage out. It will be a long process. I wish I could shake my younger self and tell her - your curls are beautiful! Don't feel pressured to have straight hair!!

I'm sorry you've experienced some curl loosening. Hopefully, since you flat ironed rarely, and you're catching it quickly and are doing some "damage control", you'll recover. :)

Tia2010
July 18th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Well I'm not a curly now ( I have really curly hair at shoulder length and shorter but the curls pull to just wave as it grows)... but I did some damage to my wave pattern.

I was never one to use heat so I figured..What can it hurt? I'm on vacation and want to look nice..so to flat ironing I went (with NO heat protectant in sight and on about 400 ..smart, right!? :rolleyes:)

Well my hair handled it great, or so I thought... Then I noticed the hair on my left side was straighter than it was. It still had wave and didn't look damaged, but the wave pattern was defiantly different and much straighter than it had been! And that was just from two weeks of use!

I think since I'm right handed I went a lot heavier on the left side since it felt comfortable and easy to do, while I only gave the right side a single pass or two, which saved it I guess. And thank God I only did it from the ears down, so it wasn't as much to grow out.

That was a few years ago..Never again!

Amber_Maiden
July 18th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I have wavy/slightly curly hair. And yes, I used to have heat damage when I straightened it.

DarkCurls
July 18th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I ironed my hair for years and yeah, I guess I have heat damage. ^^ I mean, I suppose I won't really be able to see it until it grows out and I'll have something to compare it to, but I don't see how I could not have damage.

Hollyfire3
July 18th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I actually had a time last year when my hair went pin straight for about 9 months after years of flat ironing, I tried everything to get my curl back! I finally found a shampoo and conditioner that balances protein and moisture and allows my hair to curl a bit, but its not all back yet, I have not flat ironed in about a year, I occasionally blow dry (3 times a year?) but it bounces back luckily. My poor hair....I'm sure yours isn't as bad, but just baby it a bit and it should be fine.:)

coneyisland
July 18th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Oh dear. :( I am so sorry. Keep babying it and your curls may have a full recovery. Take care not to over-moisturize, though.

Your hair is still beautiful. :blossom::grouphug:

CurlyCurves
July 18th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Thank you, everyone, for your reponses. Especially thank you, coneyisland, for the flower and the compliment ^_^

I made another thread updating the heat damage situation;

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=97499