PDA

View Full Version : Please help me Type my Hair! -

TiffanieJean
July 18th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I'm slightly confused... I have 1c/2a as my hair type, but it isn't 100% accurate. When my hair dries it's 2a/2b? It slowly losses the curl and goes to 1c/2a and then to just about 1c after a day. Even if I don't touch it. Where do I place the label?

I used to have big loose barrel curls (I always had BS - Waist leangth hair) before I moved to a less humid climate and then had my son (did having kids change anyone else's hair?).. I was in denial that the curls were gone for a little bit, but now I have come to terms with my new hair texture. It just confuses me a little.

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q501/Vicarious-Me/Naturalpattern2ajustafterdrying.jpg

^ Proper hair texture picture (clerified, air dried and no touchy/brushy)

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q501/Vicarious-Me/Naturalpatternovernight1c2a.jpg

^ Next morning...

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q501/Vicarious-Me/NaturalTexture1c2a4-22-12.jpg

^This is the 2nd try at doing a typing shot. I didnt sleep on it this time. This is after about 5 hours of being dry. This one is the most accurate for typing I think.

Help?! lol

TiffanieJean
July 18th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Sorr the 3rd picture is so big... I'm trying to fix it but PhotoBucket isnt putting the cropped/resized picture onto the post... It shows up as the original every time. :shrug:

newbeginning
July 18th, 2012, 05:37 AM
I'm not that experienced with hair typing but I just want to say my hair is fairly wavy but has gotten straighter from getting longer (the weight of it pulls the waves straighter) and from using a tangle teaser (smooths the waves out). For my hair texture I go with how my hair is when the waves are not pulled down/brushed out.

TiffanieJean
July 18th, 2012, 06:13 AM
I'm not that experienced with hair typing but I just want to say my hair is fairly wavy but has gotten straighter from getting longer (the weight of it pulls the waves straighter) and from using a tangle teaser (smooths the waves out). For my hair texture I go with how my hair is when the waves are not pulled down/brushed out.

My hair is getting less curl to it as it's getting longer too. I'm used to cutting my hair to BS as soon as it gets to waist length, but I'm growing to hip/TB now. I guess going with the 3rd image might be the most accurate typing. I should add that to the OP.

torrilin
July 18th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Uh, I'm not sure where you're coming up with 2a? Those are spirals on your ends. That means you're a 2c. The curl stretching out that you're seeing isn't anything wrong, it's just something curly hair does sometimes. 2c can often look quite straight indeed.

3a hair can also do it, but generally if you're not trying to straighten, it'll still have a clearly defined crimp for a few days. A more moisture happy routine will slow down the stretching process.

spidermom
July 18th, 2012, 10:01 AM
It looks 2C to me also. My hair is like that. If left to dry on its own with absolutely no manipulation, I get spirals, waves, and straight areas. Once I comb it, most of the curl is gone. I think my hair type should be 1B/2C.

lapushka
July 18th, 2012, 10:40 AM
You're in the 2s, that's for sure, though I'm having a difficult time typing you. I'd say 2a because your curl formation is so loose up top. I don't know.

TiffanieJean
July 18th, 2012, 11:26 AM
You're in the 2s, that's for sure, though I'm having a difficult time typing you. I'd say 2a because your curl formation is so loose up top. I don't know.

IDK if I make it to 2c completely to be honest. The first pic was still a tiny bit damp and it loosens really quickly.. The going almost completely straight with a slight wave over time is what made me think I had 1c/2a.

bumblebums
July 18th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Solid 2c, I would say. Do you have spirals on the underside?

TiffanieJean
July 18th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Solid 2c, I would say. Do you have spirals on the underside?

Kind of. It doesn't exactly spiral. It goes one and then the other. That's why I thought it was more of a wave? Sometimes if I am really careful it can spiral a bit toward the ends.

bumblebums
July 18th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Kind of. It doesn't exactly spiral. It goes one and then the other. That's why I thought it was more of a wave? Sometimes if I am really careful it can spiral a bit toward the ends.

You only need an occasional spiral to qualify as a 2c, and on the first picture, you have several. It's pretty normal for 2c hair to straighten out a few days after a wash, too, and to change a lot with the climate. I grew up in a far less humid climate than I live in now, and I didn't have an inkling of just how wurly my hair was until just a few years ago.

TiffanieJean
July 18th, 2012, 11:57 AM
You only need an occasional spiral to qualify as a 2c, and on the first picture, you have several. It's pretty normal for 2c hair to straighten out a few days after a wash, too, and to change a lot with the climate. I grew up in a far less humid climate than I live in now, and I didn't have an inkling of just how wurly my hair was until just a few years ago.

That explains a lot then. Off to change my Stats :)
Thank you for the help.

anitacs9101
July 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I agree, 2c :) don't worry, like spidermom said my hair changes a lot depending on what products I use and if I brush it etc. Straight out of the shower it's 2a and dries that way, if I comb it out it becomes more 1c, if I use a BBB it becomes 1b :p