PDA

View Full Version : The lowdown on protein

lmfbs
July 17th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Can someone please give me the lowdown on protein? I've tried to search but it's a bit of an impossible topic to search for because it's mentioned so often.

What's the easiest protein treatment using things I might find in my house?

How can I tell if a hair product contains protein?

How does protein actually work?

Bene
July 17th, 2012, 06:43 PM
The quick and dirty answers until someone who actually bothered to pay attention in hair school shows up with something more productive:

Most accessible protein you can find lying around the house: An egg.

A good indicator for protein in a product: Hydrolyzed ANYTHING. If it says silk or keratin, that's protein as well.

Protein works 2 ways. Internally (when you eat proteins) your body uses it as building material for stuff that grows out of your body. Externally, it tends to coat the surface and make it appear stronger/healthier. Some proteins will penetrate and do all that good stuff inside the shaft. Some people react negatively to it, hair becomes dry and brittle.

Wildcat Diva
July 17th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I have used a shaken up can of coconut milk as a deep treatment to add protein. It turned out really, really nice for my hair. If you are interested you can search for the thread with "Vanilla's Variation" and it's talking about a pre-shampoo routine. It's not a long thread.

akilina
July 17th, 2012, 07:38 PM
In school I did not learn a ton about protein other than it is part of your hairs makeup.
Personal experience is different though. Some peoples hair hates protein (like mine) I rarely use protein and I hate that SO many products lately are all about protein.
I say protein is occasionally good in a DT or something similar, but use of too much is not that good. Your fail proof way is to actually consume your proteins. This way I get the benefits but my hair doesnt snap off.
Bene is right on about the hydrolyzed thing in what to look for.
An old co-worker washed her hair with Redken All Soft (very protein-ish) everyday and severely gave her hair a chemical cut from it.