PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this video, "Hair growth crash course?"

Defyingnoodles
July 17th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Hi!

Here's the video in question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLqIsDZD5b0&feature=plcp

I found it very informative, but wanted to run a few of it's mane points by you guys. Sorry, I had to lol.

At the 5:50 mark, she discusses how the best way to keep hair healthiest and hair growth at the maximum is to minimize the amount of product putting in your hair, and she even goes to insinuate that using no products other than shampoo and conditioner would be best for your hair.

What are your thoughts on using no extra product on hair in an attempt to not "choke" the hair follicle, as she put it. I don't use a tone of extra product, just a leave in conditioner and an anti frizz serum, but i was wondering if it would indeed be more beneficial to stop using anything at all, if at least stop using the anti frizz serum.

Thanks, let me know what you guys think!!

FrannyG
July 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM
The bottom line is that the best thing for you is what works for you. If you're using an anti-frizz serum, then you know you're using cones. Now, some people are really anti-cone, but with a little knowledge, cones shouldn't be a problem.

Just make sure that you clarify your hair when you feel buildup (usually marked by "velcro ends") moisturize afterwards and you should be fine.

There is no expert in the world who knows your own hair better than you do. And no system works the same way for everyone.

SurferB
July 17th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I love everything else she had to say!! Wow, it's very informative. I think everyone's hair is unique.

Madora
July 17th, 2012, 06:45 PM
She really knows her stuff! Very informative and right on target.

I'm in complete agreement with using only the bare minimum on my hair. Good shampoo, good conditioner and that's it. Once in a while I'll do an overnight EVOO treatment but that's about it.

I can't emphasis enough that the less you put on your hair, the better! Everything you put on your hair attracts dust and stuff in the air. Every time you add conditioner or gel or mousse or sprays, it leaves residue...and buildup occurs, which means clarifying.

I'm going to have to investigate her other hair videos and see how she cares for her hair. Thank you for the link!

owlathena
July 17th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I like her! I've been subscribed to her channel for a year or so. Her hair is amazing! Shes done experiments on the strength of her hair that are pretty cool.

Amber_Maiden
July 17th, 2012, 07:19 PM
It's a good video. Really good info.

blondie9912
July 17th, 2012, 07:44 PM
VERY informative, I'm impressed. Usually these hair videos are some girl with crispier than crisp hair down to her tailbone talking about ridiculous stuff (one time I heard that your hair grows longer if you wash it with hot water and heat style it...um, no)

Embrace1913
July 17th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I watched this video a few weeks ago. I agree that she definitely has some great informative tips. However I also think that you are the expert on your own hair so you have to find the routine and products that work best for you. She has obviously found what works for her and thats what we have to do. Her hair is gorgeous though :)

RitaPG
July 17th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I think what she's trying to say is that sometimes people abuse their leave-ins, I knew a girl that after washing her hair, used a silicone-based hair oil, heat protectant, anti-frizz serum and shine spray :thud: The thing is, excess product leads to build-up, which can make hair limp and hard to manage, and then you have to wash more often with harsh shampoos to get rid of it all, and those shampoos remove the hair's natural oils and increase the chance of damaging.

Whether you need leave-in or not depends mostly on hairtype. I honestly believe that leave-in products work better than having nothing at all on my hair. The girl from the video has great hair and doesn't need anything extra, mine on the other hand has a little damage on the ends, and is prone to tangles, so I use leave-ins to keep it manageable and prevent breakage.

If your leave-in and serum give you good results, I don't see why you should stop using them. But you can experiment, try going for a couple weeks without those products and see how it works.

sakuraemily
July 18th, 2012, 06:09 AM
She's completely right. Chemicals are always bad for your hair. Atleast shampoo and conditioner are washed out. But even if you do use a few products never let them anywhere near your scalp and roots. You don't want those chemicals being absorbed by your scalp.