PDA

View Full Version : Question about temporary dyes

IvanaGil
July 17th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Hi everyone :D
So lately I've been wanting to experiment a bit with my hair. I have virgin hair my whole life so even using a temporary dye scares the heck out of me. My question is this: is there a temp dye that with not leave any color behind afterwards? I'm looking for something that washes out and will go back to my natural hair color without leaving any residue whatsoever. By residue I mean color. Also, I would be looking to dye my hair a natural tone. I don't know if that brand Manic Panic has natural tones, but if you guys could recommend any brands, I would be so grateful. Oh, and preferably ones I can buy at stores like Target or Sally's. I'm too impatient to wait for online purchases :p

akilina
July 17th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hmmmm are you looking to dye your hair a natural color? :)
Oh This totally just made me think of these temporary dyes they used to have about 8 years ago. When I was 13, my mom would NOT let me dye my hair black ever but she did let me use these temporary dyes. It came in an orange bag...sort of like a bag that coffee comes in. It was awesome. I got to have my black hair for a week or so and it would wash out with no traces...I haven't seen it for years...I will do some research and try to find the name of it. :0 brb!

IvanaGil
July 17th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Yes! I know exactly what you're talking about. I think it was by L'oreal and it came in a orange metallic bag and I'm pretty sure it was foam. My sister used it and it washed out in like 12 washes or something. That's kind of what I'm looking for, but I haven't seen it either. Yeah, I want to try something natural.

akilina
July 17th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Darnit, I really can't seem to find it. I almost have a feeling that they quit making it. I would have to look at an actual store for it. Maybe next time I go I will look to see if they have it and tell you the name :]
The stuff was awesome for the purpose of temporary though, and it left no trace.
It was geared towards teenage girls too...The packaging was kind of cute and all their ads were in those super dorky teen girl magazines.

IvanaGil
July 17th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Darnit, I really can't seem to find it. I almost have a feeling that they quit making it. I would have to look at an actual store for it. Maybe next time I go I will look to see if they have it and tell you the name :]
The stuff was awesome for the purpose of temporary though, and it left no trace.
It was geared towards teenage girls too...The packaging was kind of cute and all their ads were in those super dorky teen girl magazines.

It was L'oreal Color Pulse! :D But yeah, they stopped making it :(

akilina
July 17th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Yes! I know exactly what you're talking about. I think it was by L'oreal and it came in a orange metallic bag and I'm pretty sure it was foam. My sister used it and it washed out in like 12 washes or something. That's kind of what I'm looking for, but I haven't seen it either. Yeah, I want to try something natural.
Oh holy moly I can't believe you know what I am talking about!!! Thats the stuff :D
I thought I remembered the constancy being kind of jelly foamy like. I also remember using it...summer between 8th grade and 9th grade. Cant believe that was 8 years ago D:
What a bummer we can't find it anywhere...It would probably be perfect for you. I was always so bummed that NO traces of black were left in my hair, since I was just dying to have black hair.

akilina
July 17th, 2012, 12:42 PM
It was L'oreal Color Pulse! :D But yeah, they stopped making it :(
It is on Amazon. I just looked :] You could still get some!

IvanaGil
July 17th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Oh holy moly I can't believe you know what I am talking about!!! Thats the stuff :D
I thought I remembered the constancy being kind of jelly foamy like. I also remember using it...summer between 8th grade and 9th grade. Cant believe that was 8 years ago D:
What a bummer we can't find it anywhere...It would probably be perfect for you. I was always so bummed that NO traces of black were left in my hair, since I was just dying to have black hair.

Lol yeah, that's old stuff haha. Do you know of any other temporary dyes that won't leave color behind?

akilina
July 17th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Lol yeah, that's old stuff haha. Do you know of any other temporary dyes that won't leave color behind?
Not really. Not when it comes to natural colors really. I always have used permanent colors or semi/demi permanent colors because I never really needed something temporary since my mom finally decided to let me use "real" hair dye when I was 14.
Same with in beauty college, no one ever wanted just temporary so I didn't get to learn about any specific color lines. And generally in the salon the only temporary colors are fun crazy colors.Wish I could help more! I am so bummed they discontinued that stuff though.

SoulOfTheSea
July 17th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Manic Panic has a black hair color, if you're interested.

http://www.manicpanic.com/besthaircolor/raven.html

ETA: Also, if you're thinking of dying all your hair, and your hair is as long as what I see in your avatar, then I recommend buying two jars of Manic Panic, or possible two containers of whatever dye you choose.

Ginger Kitteh
July 17th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I would actually recommend Kool-Aid for temporary dye of an artificial color. :cool: Some people say it washes out completely for them in the next few washes, others say it lingers for months. There are lots of YouTube videos on it!

IvanaGil
July 17th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Not really. Not when it comes to natural colors really. I always have used permanent colors or semi/demi permanent colors because I never really needed something temporary since my mom finally decided to let me use "real" hair dye when I was 14.
Same with in beauty college, no one ever wanted just temporary so I didn't get to learn about any specific color lines. And generally in the salon the only temporary colors are fun crazy colors.Wish I could help more! I am so bummed they discontinued that stuff though.

L'oreal still has one that's temporary. It's the creme gloss color. Supposedly lasts for 38 washes and they have lots of natural tones. I might try that one out.

Lostsoule77
July 17th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Just be careful with one that lasts that long. I learned the hard way that those may not be so temporary. It has to last 14 or less shampoos to really be semi permanent. Any more than that and they are demi permanents that can be more permanent and they can do a little damage because they still lift your hair follicle to deposit the dye.

IvanaGil
July 17th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Just be careful with one that lasts that long. I learned the hard way that those may not be so temporary. It has to last 14 or less shampoos to really be semi permanent. Any more than that and they are demi permanents that can be more permanent and they can do a little damage because they still lift your hair follicle to deposit the dye.

Oh, good to know. Thank you :D

afu
July 17th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Just make sure it is definitly deposit only, a lot of colours which claim not to be permanent still have the chemicals which open the cuticle which is not what you want. No suggestions im afraid as I don't know what's available in the US

bumblebums
July 17th, 2012, 04:09 PM

Definitely avoid the demi-permanents.

My understanding is that if your hair is in good condition, a temp dye like Manic Panic should completely leave your hair eventually. And without damage.

They do sell Manic Panic at Sally's--and as if you're in SF, any punk type store should carry them, too. But my memory of Manic Panic is that the only color close to natural that they have is black.

umbrellabones
July 17th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Hi everyone :D
So lately I've been wanting to experiment a bit with my hair. I have virgin hair my whole life so even using a temporary dye scares the heck out of me. My question is this: is there a temp dye that with not leave any color behind afterwards? I'm looking for something that washes out and will go back to my natural hair color without leaving any residue whatsoever. By residue I mean color. :p I think i'm looking for the same type of thing so i will be eyeing this thread. i'm thinking i want a tint of dark red in my hair. but nothing significant. is it possible to do a gloss with manic panic? to get just a tint of red that would eventually wash out?

riceball
July 17th, 2012, 04:54 PM
The ION brand has 12 shades of natural and natural-ish semi-permanent dyes. I have used them. They wash out very quickly--within two weeks. I got them at Sally's.

IvanaGil
July 17th, 2012, 04:57 PM
The ION brand has 12 shades of natural and natural-ish semi-permanent dyes. I have used them. They wash out very quickly--within two weeks. I got them at Sally's.

Sounds perfect. I will look into that :)

MonaMayfair
July 18th, 2012, 06:27 AM
There's a range of dyes called Adore, they're a bit like Manic Panic etc in that they do all the bright unnatural colours, but they also do natural colours, various blondes, browns etc.