PDA

View Full Version : Honey for shampoo?

Hollyfire3
July 17th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Alright, I have found out my hair LOVES honey! It just does, I have no idea why. I use it in DTs and rinses and my normal conditioner. So, I was wondering, my hair needs to be washed today, would honey work as a shampoo? Would even need to condition afterward? Do you think honey would wash out the hair product I use?

DarkCurls
July 17th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure honey would actually "wash," if you know what I mean. I think you would get the same results as with WO, since for me honey works best when left in for a certain amount of time before being washed out. But it may leave your hair softer anyway.
I'd definitely recommend conditioner afterward.

Hollyfire3
July 17th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure honey would actually "wash," if you know what I mean. I think you would get the same results as with WO, since for me honey works best when left in for a certain amount of time before being washed out. But it may leave your hair softer anyway.
I'd definitely recommend conditioner afterward.

What if I mixed honey with some coconut milk or regular milk? Could it just be a one step sort of wash then?

DarkCurls
July 17th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I've never heard of washing your hair with milk. :p But, if someone says something good about it, I may try it.

I think you can try the honey out. At worst, you'll only get the benefits of a WO wash.

blondie9912
July 17th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I've heard of people washing their faces with honey, but I'm assuming it's VERY gentle. Let us now how it goes if you try it out!

Hollyfire3
July 17th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I've never heard of washing your hair with milk. :p But, if someone says something good about it, I may try it.

I think you can try the honey out. At worst, you'll only get the benefits of a WO wash.

The milk suggestion is from a wiki how so I'm not sure its reliable. I think I am going to take honey, mix it with water and work it through my hair (after microwaving the honey first) let it sit for a few minutes then rinse. I will report back to see if it works. I have this sudden urge to go minimalist with shampoo and conditioner, I just want soemthing so simple to try and see if it works, it can't hurt, like you said, so off i go!:D

ratgirldjh
July 17th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I've washed with honey a few times. It does seem to clean provided you get the most filtered honey you can find. Like the cheapest one.

I tried using raw organic wildflower honey and got beeswax build up quick!

Hollyfire3
July 17th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I've washed with honey a few times. It does seem to clean provided you get the most filtered honey you can find. Like the cheapest one.

Lol! So cheap is good here right? I have cheap store brand honey so i should be good! What were the results like?

bunzfan
July 17th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Just wanted to add my hair loves honey to mixed with water or conditioner. Report back :D

Hollyfire3
July 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Just wanted to add my hair loves honey to mixed with water or conditioner. Report back :D

well see, to go try this, I need to get my butt off of LHC and go excersise then go try this honey washign lol! So I'm gone, for now, will report back!:)

ratgirldjh
July 17th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Lol! So cheap is good here right? I have cheap store brand honey so i should be good! What were the results like?

My hair didn't like it so much. It made it kind of fly away and weird. But it did seem to clean off the sebum when I was WO. If your hair likes honey it might work well for you.

I just didn't like the feeling of the honey. I had to add water to it to get it down to my scalp.

I've seen you having problems with CO. CO never worked for me and I too went through all of these natural 'hair cleansers' looking for something that I could use with great results every time. I mean I have tried EVERYTHING!!! Nothing in the kitchen or yard has been safe from hair experimentation!!! :D

I ended up settling on either soap/ACV rinse or calcium bentonite clay (hydrated) with an ACV rinse.

Note to self: do not add water to the bottle of honey because when you put it back in the cabinet it will ferment into mead ;)

Hollyfire3
July 17th, 2012, 12:16 PM
My hair didn't like it so much. It made it kind of fly away and weird. But it did seem to clean off the sebum when I was WO. If your hair likes honey it might work well for you.

I just didn't like the feeling of the honey. I had to add water to it to get it down to my scalp.

I've seen you having problems with CO. CO never worked for me and I too went through all of these natural 'hair cleansers' looking for something that I could use with great results every time. I mean I have tried EVERYTHING!!! Nothing in the kitchen or yard has been safe from hair experimentation!!! :D

I ended up settling on either soap/ACV rinse or calcium bentonite clay (hydrated) with an ACV rinse.

Note to self: do not add water to the bottle of honey because when you put it back in the cabinet it will ferment into mead ;)

Lol! I try alot too! Its nuts. I will be sure to add water only to the honey I am using this one time, thank you for the tip!:D I use a certain shampoo and conditioner normally, but my hair REALLY loves honey that i put in stuff like DTs and such, it also makes my hair feel very clean when wet, so its worth a try right? I'm glad you found a routine finally, experimenting because nothign is workign is no fun. Having somehtign that works but experimenting for fun IS fun IMO. Oh and yes, my hair HATES CO as far as I know (but i probably didn't give it long enough...) it made my head itchy and my hair was always heavy with build up, no fun at all.

ratgirldjh
July 17th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Lol! I try alot too! Its nuts. I will be sure to add water only to the honey I am using this one time, thank you for the tip!:D I use a certain shampoo and conditioner normally, but my hair REALLY loves honey that i put in stuff like DTs and such, it also makes my hair feel very clean when wet, so its worth a try right? I'm glad you found a routine finally, experimenting because nothign is workign is no fun. Having somehtign that works but experimenting for fun IS fun IMO.

Yes! Good luck! I remember I read somewhere that some very natural oriented women washed her hair WO mostly and used honey when her sebum got out of control. She seemed to have beautiful hair so I tried it. It did seem to clean - but like I said make sure to watch out for build up. I am not sure if honey has protein or not - but my hair acted like it did with too much protein.

Also there could still be beeswax in the honey - but I would think much less in the cheap filtered heated honey. ;)

Let us know how it goes!!!

Kayleigh
July 17th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I've tried this before, it worked just fine. With milk it's even better. But it's not strong enough to be a regular washmethod for me though. It's like when I CO, works the first time but it's just not able to wash away as much grease as is needed with my hair.

Gillian
July 17th, 2012, 01:14 PM
My hair loves honey too! Ive beendoing a conditioner, honey and olive oil mix for DT and its awesome! I've been thinking of adding honey to my shampoo or conditioner to see how that works out. or maybe doing like one part water one part honey and one part shampoo so it makes the shampoo less harsh? i may have to experiment with it

Hollyfire3
July 17th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I forgot to ask! How DO I wash my hair with honey...:o

jojo
July 17th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I'm sure member Katze has used honey as shampoo, don't know if she added milk, maybe she will chip in with her experience.

Hollyfire3
July 17th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I'm sure member Katze has used honey as shampoo, don't know if she added milk, maybe she will chip in with her experience.

I just used about a TBL and a half TBL of honey to scrub my hair down (shed a bit because of the scrubbing but I only combed once today so that's why, nothing that doesn't make sense but it freaked me out at first...lol). My hair feels very heavy but smooth. I am waiting for dry results!:) I hope Katze shares her experience too!

ratgirldjh
July 17th, 2012, 04:36 PM
That is how I did it. I diluted it a little with warm water just to get it to spread easier and then focused on my roots and then my length and rinsed well.

I never tried milk because once I tried a yogurt mask and like to never got the smell of sour milk out of my hair...

Let us know how it goes!

Hollyfire3
July 17th, 2012, 10:01 PM
That is how I did it. I diluted it a little with warm water just to get it to spread easier and then focused on my roots and then my length and rinsed well.

I never tried milk because once I tried a yogurt mask and like to never got the smell of sour milk out of my hair...

Let us know how it goes!

So, I used the honey and my hair is now dry, finally! It went great! My hair is soft and shiny, nearly the same as with shampoo and conditioner. I think I needed more honey because I could barely get the diluted tablespoon and a half to cover my hair...I am thinking I might just bring honey for my once weekly shampoo while I'm on vacation next week! Its simple and fast and the results seem great! I even used my normal mousse and a bit of gel and got very good results!

sakuraemily
July 18th, 2012, 07:38 AM
A friend of mine says that using honey has caused her to gray prematurely. Anyone have any ideas on that?

Jesabel
July 18th, 2012, 07:43 AM
A couple times I've used a modified SMT to cleanse my hair :) I just mixed my condish, honey, and I think a tiny bit of coconut oil, massaged in and left for a few hours and when I rinsed it out I also massaged very well and left my hair pretty clean and nice :) Though once I didn't rinse it out properly... sticky hair!

CurlyCurves
July 18th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Hmm, I need to do a DC tonight. Would you suggest using some honey?

ratgirldjh
July 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Yay! Glad you like the results :)

So, I used the honey and my hair is now dry, finally! It went great! My hair is soft and shiny, nearly the same as with shampoo and conditioner. I think I needed more honey because I could barely get the diluted tablespoon and a half to cover my hair...I am thinking I might just bring honey for my once weekly shampoo while I'm on vacation next week! Its simple and fast and the results seem great! I even used my normal mousse and a bit of gel and got very good results!

afu
July 18th, 2012, 08:23 AM
My hair doesn't like honey (turns it like wire, even in SMT) so I can't comment on that, but I use honey as both my face and body wash (Amber maiden uses it as body wash too and lots of people here use it on their faces) and it always gets my skin clean so i see no reason it shouldn't clean hair. I can see how distributing it might be the big problem though. I imagine combining it with aloe vera juice would work well, but could be costly

Hollyfire3
July 21st, 2012, 10:28 AM
My hair doesn't like honey (turns it like wire, even in SMT) so I can't comment on that, but I use honey as both my face and body wash (Amber maiden uses it as body wash too and lots of people here use it on their faces) and it always gets my skin clean so i see no reason it shouldn't clean hair. I can see how distributing it might be the big problem though. I imagine combining it with aloe vera juice would work well, but could be costly

Thansk for the tips! I use honey for my face sometimes and I LOVE it! It makes my skin glow and my face look so clear! Amber Madien uses it as body wash? I might have to try that! Maybe mix it with normal soap? I wanted to ask, has any one had honey cause shedding? I used the honey to wash my hair on the second day after wash and then went 3 more days after, I hardly brushed my hair, maybe combed it/brushed once. In the shower, I shed 3 times my normal amount (a little quarter sized hairball, normally I shed hardly anything in the shower) and I am worried that the using all this honey was causing my scalp to react or something. Now, the only thing that might have caused it was not combing or really washign for so long, or maybe it was because I microwaved the honey before my honey only wash, it got really hot, and I accidently poured it on my head before it cooled (my scalp was not happy, it hurt a bit, but it went away) but mayeb this caused the extra hair? I want to do a DT with honey but don't want to loose alot more hair!

Miss Catrina
July 21st, 2012, 08:26 PM
I'd be worried about my hair lightening.

Littlewing13
September 15th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Curious as to how this went?

Ambystoma
September 15th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Hey - great minds think alike huh? :D

I just had this very same idea this afternoon since I wash my face with honey anyway. I use it in my body wash too ( honey, Sweet Almond Oil, EO of choice) I have it in a french braid drying at the moment so I'll report back when I take it out in the morning. I'm not sure how well I got it all out though since I had to rinse my braid tassel again (it dried into a rock hard corkscrew :laugh:) I did a vinegar/herb tea rinse after loads of water and a tiny bit of BS and combed through 2 drops of SAO.

Amygirl8
September 15th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Honey? That'd be interesting, for sure.
I know from the time when I accidentally spilled milk coming up the stairs that when it dries in your hair, it clumps the hair together and really stiffens it up.
It might be effective as a hairspray, if I think about it now. I might try diluting some in some water and then using a spray bottle to see how it works.

Anyway, I'd like to try honey as well. I'll give it a go on Sunday.
I do think that hair lightening would be possible from this, albeit small since the honey doesn't sit in the water for time before application. I personally wouldn't mind, I'd like to be able to classify myself as a blonde since I can't pick my mind as to whether I'm a blonde or brunette. (And I feel like I'm too dark to be a blondette)

melusine963
September 15th, 2012, 10:56 AM
shudder:I had no idea this was even possible!

Hollyfire3
September 15th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Honey? That'd be interesting, for sure.
I know from the time when I accidentally spilled milk coming up the stairs that when it dries in your hair, it clumps the hair together and really stiffens it up.
It might be effective as a hairspray, if I think about it now. I might try diluting some in some water and then using a spray bottle to see how it works.

Anyway, I'd like to try honey as well. I'll give it a go on Sunday.
I do think that hair lightening would be possible from this, albeit small since the honey doesn't sit in the water for time before application. I personally wouldn't mind, I'd like to be able to classify myself as a blonde since I can't pick my mind as to whether I'm a blonde or brunette. (And I feel like I'm too dark to be a blondette)

If you want lightening, don't microwave the honey first. I always microwave it and have experienced no lightening. Good luck!:)

Ambystoma
September 15th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Hmmm I just took my braid down and I don't think I'll be washing with plain honey again. It's clean and shiny but also poofy and frizzy and slightly stiff feeling. It works really well in the modified SMT's I do (1 part honey 4 parts 'cone free condish) though so maybe I didn't get it all out even though I rinsed for ages :o

Hollyfire3
September 15th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Hmmm I just took my braid down and I don't think I'll be washing with plain honey again. It's clean and shiny but also poofy and frizzy and slightly stiff feeling. It works really well in the modified SMT's I do (1 part honey 4 parts 'cone free condish) though so maybe I didn't get it all out even though I rinsed for ages :o

Honey can make my hair a bit fuzzy if I use too much. It might be the rinsing too, i have to rinse for a longggg time to get all the honey out. keep trying, it may work better next time.:)

Pirate Cat
September 16th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I tried this a couple times last year and remember really liking it. I just used straight honey rubbed into my roots, and I remember being amazed how clean my hair was, because I have a super oily scalp. I think I didn't continue with it just because I had to use a lot of honey and was worried about spending too much money on honey. But maybe I'll give this a try again, now that I'm stretching washes and won't go through it so fast. Also, glad to hear the cheap supermarket stuff works best. I've been pretty unhappy with my shampoo search lately.

I'm one of those people who uses honey as a face wash as well, exclusively. Every once in a wile I'll mix some baking soda with it just for the exfoliating, super fresh feeling.