PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know Hormone Replacement Therapy side effects on hair?

Fluffy01
August 4th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I just found out I have low estrogen. I may have to take HRT since I'm only 25 and would still like to possibly conceive one of these days. Does HRT have any effect on growing your hair? I was thinking it was possible it could speed up my hair growth since I have a lack of estrogen right now. Would that be a good assumption? I hope I don't lose what length I've gotten so far! *sigh* Thanks to all!

Fluffy01
August 6th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Bumping...anyone? Thanks! :D

kate46
August 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM
I'm guessing no-one has answered your question because they are not sure of the answer, I'm not sure either but I would think that as women who are approaching menopause (like myself) often have thinning hair due to low oestragen then HRT could only improve your hairs' condition, so i'm guessing your assumption is correct but it is only a guess.

ETA I did a lot of guessing there didn't I LOL

ChloeDharma
August 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM
There are types of estrogen you can take that are identical to human estrogen....17b estradiol is one that springs to mind. And i'm sure i read that estrogen extends the anagen phase of the growth cycle....so as long as it's all done well by an endocronolagist (sp?) then it should be fine and maybe even improve growth.
Fingers crossed

lil_irish_angel
August 6th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Well have been thru menopause at the age of 26 and am now 33, with no estrogen at all in my body.. I have been on HRT now sinc ethen and since i Had a hysterectomy in 06 my hair has grown alot cause im only get estrogen. I slo think it has to do with mostly your diet for hwta our hair does. Thats me 2 cents

MermaidGirl
August 6th, 2008, 10:00 PM
If at all possible, please try to take bio-identical hormones, not the synthetic stuff. The bio-identicals are usually made by a compounding pharmacy, are often plant-based, are natural and FAR better for your body than the synthetic stuff. They won't cause some of the long-term problems that synthetic hormones can cause.

willowcandra
August 7th, 2008, 01:37 AM
eostrogen should help growth in a positive way. (It's the hormone responsible for pregnancy hair benefits.)

It's usually the progesteron only pills that cause loss.

I can't advise on synthetic or natural though.

podo
August 7th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I was on Clomid for fertility treatments and it sent me into telogen effluvium - where you have major hair loss because of medications. The hormones just played havoc with my hair. I don't know about pure estrogen, but at this piont I'm leery of all hormones.

Hopefully it all works out for you !!

TessieAnn
August 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM
My new PA told me just today that bioidentical hormones come in pills and patches and do not need to be made by a compounding pharmacy. If you do use a pharmacy you must be very careful because they are not regulated (in the U.S.)

I've just started on a combination estrogen-progesterone tab. If there's a difference in my hair, I'll post results here.