PDA

View Full Version : Pillowcases

jadelouise
July 17th, 2012, 03:57 AM
I have noticed a few split ends recently and have heard that sleeping on a silk pillowcase can eradicate these... just wondering what kind of pillowcase i'd be looking for and around what price range? :confused:

FrannyG
July 17th, 2012, 04:10 AM
I am a huge believer in the satin pillowcase. I don't have a split end in sight. I'm not going to say that's the only reason, but I do know that I am not a still sleeper, and I noticed a difference in split ends after sleeping on satin, for sure.

As far as price range goes, they don't have to be terribly expensive. It depends on what type of satin you get. Some people find that synthetic satin causes them to perspire. I don't have that problem. If you do, you can always look for silk satin, which breathes better, but it will be more expensive.

I know that you can spend under $10.00 for a satin case, or a lot more. Just Google around and see what you can find. Also, Ebay is a good place for such things.

Good luck to you! :blossom:

jadelouise
July 17th, 2012, 04:23 AM
thankyou! i'll definitely be looking into this then :) xx

Zesty
July 17th, 2012, 04:34 AM
I have two of these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IDHE44/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00) and I've been really pleased with the quality for the price. I prefer real silk because I have sensitive skin, and because it has the reputation of being not as hot as synthetic satin. However, I did a test run using a silk pajama top wrapped around my pillow to make sure that it was worth spending money on. You can find them at Goodwill, etc., for cheap. If you really want to save money you could just use one of those indefinitely, since they work the same as a silk pillowcase.

When you switch, you will definitely notice the difference when you are forced to sleep on cotton again for whatever reason. ;) Or at least, I definitely did.

Natalia
July 17th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Silk is expensive my grandmothers silk pillow cases were $80 per case! Satin you can get a set of two for $10 or less. if your nifty you can go thrift store and find some silk pj's and turn them into a pillow case.

jadelouise
July 17th, 2012, 07:41 AM
ah some good tips here guys!

thankyou :)

Shiranshoku
July 17th, 2012, 08:05 AM
And how does it feel to sleep on a silk/satin pillowcase? A couple of years ago I had this badass black satin bedset that looked great but was a horror to sleep on. It slipped and slided everywhere and I couldn't stay put for the life of me.

I really love sleeping in cotton sheets, so I worry that if I sleep on a smooth pillow case the slipperiness will drive me crazy.

WaitingSoLong
July 17th, 2012, 08:07 AM
And how does it feel to sleep on a silk/satin pillowcase? A couple of years ago I had this badass black satin bedset that looked great but was a horror to sleep on. It slipped and slided everywhere and I couldn't stay put for the life of me.

I really love sleeping in cotton sheets, so I worry that if I sleep on a smooth pillow case the slipperiness will drive me crazy.

You get used to it and learn to retrieve your pillow from the floor in your sleep. LOL.

I would never sleep without my silk cases or my silky sleep cap (one of the two). The friction is horrid.

KwaveT
July 17th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I will definitely have to say that satin is very slippery. I don't have as much trouble with slipping anymore since I sleep on top of a grounding pad. I still sleep on my satin pillow on top of that pad. Satin is still on bed but I put the pad on top of those. My head has perspired some when my room gets real hot. Then I turn on my ceiling fan to cool the room back down.

ravenheather
July 17th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I stole one of my kids playsilks and sleep on that draped over my pillow. That way pillow doesn't slide. It is big enough to tuck around the pillow and doesn't usually come undone. So you can always try that or a silk scarf.

lapushka
July 17th, 2012, 08:31 AM

I love sleeping on cotton as well. I have a microfiber pillow case which is just as smooth as silk and it's changed up with cotton pillow cases. For the life of me, I haven't been able to tell a difference between the cotton or the microfiber. My hair is still the same. So... :shrug: YMMV of course.

Shiranshoku
July 17th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Lol :D I'll have to try it when I don't have to work. I'd probably get a sore neck from sleeping without a pillow.

I don't have split hairs, anyways :)

maborosi
July 17th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I sleep in a satin sleeping cap- I just got one the other day. It has made my hair so happy! I still have my cotton pillowcase, and this is great because trying to sleep with an updo drove me crazy! Best thing was, my cap was only like $2! Totally worth it.

~maborosi~

vanillabones
July 17th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I've been using a satin pillowcase for almost two years now and I notice the difference right away after using cotton again. I do get very hot from almost all pillows. I have two satin pillowcases and one makes me sweat more than the other. I'm definitely going to invest in some silk ones after seeing this thread :D

Neecola
July 17th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I have two of these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IDHE44/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00) and I've been really pleased with the quality for the price. I prefer real silk because I have sensitive skin, and because it has the reputation of being not as hot as synthetic satin.

I have the same ones. I absolutely love them! I think they are a reasonable price for what they are. I did have a cheapie satin pillowcase before and it was better than the cotton, but this is a noticeable upgrade for me. My hair is much less frizzy when I wake up!

Wildcat Diva
July 17th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I have this pillowcase but it was $26 when I bought it. It's gone up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ITYJ3Q/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I love it, it's soft and comfy. I know it will help me grow my hair out with less breakage. That is important to me, so I splurged.

march_sun
July 17th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I sewed my own satin pillow case. It was very inexpensive, and I got to chose from a variety of different colors to match the decor in my room

Othala
July 17th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I sleep on pure silk pillowcases. I even take them with me when I go on trips and stay in hotels. I have also bought expensive perfumes just to scent my pillowcases (Frederick Malle's Musc Ravageur is perfect for this). I guess I am a bit obsessed, LOL.

akilina
July 17th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I started using my real satin pillow cases (not the fake stuff) again. I love it :) It just feels so much better.
I have been wanting to make a nice satin sleep cap so I can feel more comfortable wearing my hair "down" while sleeping

Amber_Maiden
July 17th, 2012, 05:16 PM
The pillowcases will help you not get split ends, yes, but the rest of your daily life won't! Getting hair caught under purse straps, etc.

I got 2 satin pillowcases for about $25. They are pretty great.

Shiranshoku
July 18th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I love sleeping on cotton as well. I have a microfiber pillow case which is just as smooth as silk and it's changed up with cotton pillow cases. For the life of me, I haven't been able to tell a difference between the cotton or the microfiber. My hair is still the same. So... :shrug: YMMV of course.

Would that be like satin or something? I always figured that satin wasn't a specific type of fabric, like cotton or silk, but a way to describe the feel of certain types of fabric. If that makes any sense at all...

And like you say, ymmv. I think that if I had longer hair, it might matter more.

WaitingSoLong
July 18th, 2012, 08:29 AM
And like you say, ymmv. I think that if I had longer hair, it might matter more.

At some point your hair is too long to stay on the pillow anyway.

Tabitha
July 18th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I see you're in the UK too. I got my 100% silk satin (charmeuse) pillowcases from eBay and can recommend this UK seller (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Bed-Linens-Sets-/20460/i.html?_ipg=25&_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=silklovedream&_dmpt=UK_Home_Garden_Bedroom_Bedding_PP&Size=%2521&rt=nc). A single pillow case starts from £11.99 post free.

I love them so much I have a spare set so I never have to sleep on cotton again!

Tia2010
July 18th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I use silk charmeuse pillow cases from Bed Bath and Beyond. They were only $20 (They're an 'As seen on TV' product, tho I never seen them on TV :p)
They feel great to sleep on and the back is a regular fabric so they don't slide around the bed. I love them! I have had much less morning tangles since I started using them!

WaitingSoLong
July 18th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I use silk charmeuse pillow cases from Bed Bath and Beyond. They were only $20 (They're an 'As seen on TV' product, tho I never seen them on TV :p)
They feel great to sleep on and the back is a regular fabric so they don't slide around the bed. I love them! I have had much less morning tangles since I started using them!

Really? Interesting.

What is charmeuse anyway?

I have satin ones now but am wanting to go silk instead so I have been reading this thread with interest.

lapushka
July 18th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Would that be like satin or something? I always figured that satin wasn't a specific type of fabric, like cotton or silk, but a way to describe the feel of certain types of fabric. If that makes any sense at all...

It's just a silky feel, that microfiber. Very smooth, very slick. It's kind of an odd feel, like thick silk material. But it came with a bedding set, so... I didn't even specifically look for it, and owned it before I was ever on LHC. I remember it came from Aldi, but they haven't had bedding sets like it since.

Tabitha
July 18th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Really? Interesting.

I have satin ones now but am wanting to go silk instead so I have been reading this thread with interest.
Charmeuse = satin. It's a word I'd never heard until I started reading American forums.

Satin is the weave; silk, or polyester, or cotton, is the fibre.

earthnut
July 18th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I bought crazy cheap polyester satin ones here: http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/ and even an entire sheet set for my 2 yo (who doesn't stay on the pillows all night!). Great price, very slick, and it works just fine. :) My daughter's tangles have reduced greatly.

Tia2010
July 18th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Really? Interesting.

I have no idea. :)

This is what I found :
Charmeuse (French: [ʃaʁmøːz]) is a lightweight fabric woven with a satin weave, where the warp threads cross over three or more of the backing (weft) threads. The front side of the fabric has a satin finish - lustrous and reflective - whereas the back has a dull finish.

And in the BBB description it says:

Silk Charmeuse is an all-climate fabric, making it warm and cozy in the winter and cool and soft in the summer. In addition, this material is naturally hypoallergenic, so it's great for those with sensitive skin. 100% silk charmeuse outer layer with a 50% cotton/50% polyester inner and bottom layer.

It feels very silky, but I don't think its silk. A blend of some sort. I really like it. I have been using it for over a year and it still is very smooth and it holds up well to regular washings.

Zesty
July 18th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Charmeuse = satin. It's a word I'd never heard until I started reading American forums.

This. Charmeuse or satin refers to the weave, and silk or (insert other fiber) is what the fabric is made of. If something is made of real silk it will be labeled "silk" or "100% silk" etc.

I see the term charmeuse used more for silk fabrics; it'll be "silk charmeuse" or less commonly "silk satin." With non-silk satins, it may not specify (just say "satin") or will say that it's "polyester satin" etc.

I think there is a lot of confusion about the terminology and how to tell the difference between silk (charmeuse/satin) fabric and what is commonly referred to as "satin," which usually means non-silk satin. I wanted to quote Tabitha because she explained it very clearly and succinctly, and expand a little on common usage. Hopefully people who are confused and looking for a real silk pillowcase will find it useful. :flower:

CurlyCurves
July 18th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I use a silk pillowcase :) I highly doubt it's real silk, I got it cheap from this shop near mine, but it works wonders. A while ago, I was being naughty with my hair and started sleeping on cotton again - sometimes with my hair out. Ugh. Never. Again.

GL OP!

Siiri
July 18th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I've been using cotton satin pillow cases for a couple of years. Compared with regular cotton pillow cases, they feel less coarse, but are not slippery, and they are much easier to find here than silk or polyester pillow cases (I've never seen them actually). I don't know how much it helps with split ends really because I don't get them.

Wildcat Diva
July 18th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I like my silk pillowcase. It's a one time splurge that is an investment in my hair. It's something I think is worth it to budget for. And at 20-30 dollars it's not like it's going to break the bank for most people.

If it's hard to afford that, a person could maybe consider putting back a few dollars a paycheck.

I think that the silk is a better investment than satin, but I might be wrong. I have some satin ones too for a backup.

Siiri
July 18th, 2012, 12:34 PM
To those who use polyester (or other synthetic fibre) satin, does it cause static for you?

sumidha
July 18th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I have two of these (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IDHE44/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00) and I've been really pleased with the quality for the price. I prefer real silk because I have sensitive skin, and because it has the reputation of being not as hot as synthetic satin. However, I did a test run using a silk pajama top wrapped around my pillow to make sure that it was worth spending money on. You can find them at Goodwill, etc., for cheap. If you really want to save money you could just use one of those indefinitely, since they work the same as a silk pillowcase.

When you switch, you will definitely notice the difference when you are forced to sleep on cotton again for whatever reason. ;) Or at least, I definitely did.

Oh my goodness this is brilliant! The next time I go to the thrift store I'm going to look for a couple of silk shirts to make into a pillow case. :D

earthnut
July 18th, 2012, 01:43 PM
To those who use polyester (or other synthetic fibre) satin, does it cause static for you?

Nope. I actually find silk to cause more static.

WaitingSoLong
July 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM

So as long as it says 100% silk I am ok. I see a lot of "silk charmeuse" and wasn't sure.

Not for me.

Nope. I actually find silk to cause more static.

Hmm. Interesting.

Desdesdes
July 18th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I have a bunch of satin pillowcases that coordinate with my bedding. I do two out of six pillows with satin so the bed looks balanced when made, but I get them both at bedtime. Dh hates their slippery feel.

When we travel I carry two silk belly dance veils to cover the hotel pillows with. They are gigantic and do the job well.

justgreen
July 18th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I've been sleeping on 1000 TC Egyptian cotton pillowcases for the last two years and no splits. No static either. And I have bleached hair! I have two satin pillowcases that LisaJaney made for me and I love them, but I forget to use them.

velvetvenus
July 19th, 2012, 03:09 AM
I love my silk pillow cases, mu hair is much less static in the morning and my skin is sooo much smoother too. I even take one with me if I"m away from home for the night.

GoblinTart
July 19th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I got a satin pillowcase at Sally beauty supply for about $10.

WaitingSoLong
July 19th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I got a satin pillowcase at Sally beauty supply for about $10.

These are the same ones I have. The pill up after a couple washes but still work ok.