PDA

View Full Version : My first plop :o)

Nymfora
July 16th, 2012, 09:15 PM
LOL haha sorry for the odd sounding title. Well I decided to give plopping a try and I don't mind it actually :)

Just gotta wait until it fully dries but here is a pic after I took off the towel, I wore it for almost an hour.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj553/Nymfora/IMAG0194.jpg

From my shoulders down is when I attempted to bleach my hair :mad: My hair didn't take it really so I just continued to grow it out. So all the hair above that is virgin hair :D And I do have a few greys there as well. But since I've joined here and found all the helpful info I don't really have split ends anymore and my hair is doing really good and I really love making all the oil mixes :magic:

spirals
July 16th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I've been wrapping in a microfiber towel for 30 mins or more for years. The other day I did the T-shirt plop after the towel and it amped up my curl quite a bit. I used one of those really thin "tissue tees" that you can often find in the sleepwear section. I haven't tried a heavier shirt, but a few times last week I wore a cotton ballcap over washed hair all day and same result.

akilina
July 16th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Eh sounding stupid here...what is plopping? I have been wondering about this ever since I joined 3 years ago haha

Nymfora
July 16th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Plopping is a way of drying your hair after a shower to help give your hair more curls. I had to google it to get more info LOL. I went up to my hubby and said " Look I got it to work" he's like what??? I'm like I plopped and my hair came out nice and cury :) He was like :confused: hahaha!!

If I try this again I'll add some sloe or something to hold them since I touched my hair and it started to go alittle frizy, but oh well I had to bread it for bed anyways lol. I know there are a few threads here about plopping I'll see if I can find em.

ETA: Here is the link I used for the info [URL="http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=79680"]

spirals
July 16th, 2012, 10:24 PM
If you do a search at naturallycurly.com you will find a bazillion results. I think it was named there.

AutumnLocks
July 31st, 2012, 11:06 AM
What does plopping even mean?

earthnut
July 31st, 2012, 11:54 AM
Your hair looks a lot like mine! I love plopping too. :D I use flat diapers. I find I get the best results if I go into the plop when my hair is still soaking and I leave the plop on overnight. But YMMV. :bluesmile

earthnut
July 31st, 2012, 11:55 AM
What does plopping even mean?

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop

tanya222
July 31st, 2012, 11:59 AM
If I try this again I'll add some sloe or something to hold them

Add some sloe? May I ask what that is?

earthnut
July 31st, 2012, 12:15 PM
Add some sloe? May I ask what that is?

I think she meant aloe. :bluesmile Aloe vera gel.

Tota
July 31st, 2012, 12:22 PM
Looking very promising:)

brave
July 31st, 2012, 12:27 PM
I've tried plopping, but it doesn't agree with blunt cut bangs very well. I've been thinking of trying to sew a sort of plop cap -- like the turbie towel things -- instead.

I miss turbaning my hair!

SerinaDaith
July 31st, 2012, 12:28 PM
This looks fantastic, most everythink I would have tried to amp my curls would take a ton of bobby pins and way too much time. This looks quick and easy! Thanks for showing off!

tanya222
July 31st, 2012, 12:51 PM
I think she meant aloe. :bluesmile Aloe vera gel.

Ahhhh ok! That does make more sense! :p I thought there was a new product I hadn't caught up on yet :D

Amygirl8
July 31st, 2012, 01:05 PM
That looks really cool!
My hair isn't particularly curly but I'll have to give it a shot anyway.

dwell_in_safety
July 31st, 2012, 02:22 PM
Yay plopping! I do it on occasion with an old flannel shirt of mine; works like a charm.

faellen
July 31st, 2012, 02:34 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about something totally different :eek:

hele911
July 31st, 2012, 03:05 PM
lol sounds so funny but I think I want to try plopping! :eek:

Wildcat Diva
August 4th, 2012, 11:13 PM
I've tried plopping, but it doesn't agree with blunt cut bangs very well. I've been thinking of trying to sew a sort of plop cap -- like the turbie towel things -- instead.

I miss turbaning my hair!

I have lots of those turbie towels, and I ALSO got a chamois type towel folded into a square to plop on right inside the turbie (it's made for drying cars, I got it at auto zone!) The problem is that when I bought the chamois it was flexible and a tiny bit moist (like how a sponge is packaged) and now it's dried and stiff and hard as a brick. That sucker won't really fit in my turbie towel now like I planned, but I'm trying it out anyway. You all would laugh if you could see my HUGE HEAD right now with this thing on.

I think that troubleshooting wise, I will plan ahead for my wash and about the same time I remember to steep my stupid catnip for my conditioner (five hours ahead), I will moisten my chamois towel so it is the right softness texture for both folding and SOAKING up moisture from my hair.

Last time I plopped it was almost too CURLY. Whoa, I am not used to this.

spirals
August 4th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about something totally different :eek:
I know! :lol: We're plopping and deciding whether to use 'poo. The uninitiated must be :confused: . Oh, yeah, and they're like, "What are cones?" OP, I think maybe you are a 3a. My hair looks like that before it's dry.

Suze2012
August 5th, 2012, 03:52 AM
I have lots of those turbie towels, and I ALSO got a chamois type towel folded into a square to plop on right inside the turbie (it's made for drying cars, I got it at auto zone!) The problem is that when I bought the chamois it was flexible and a tiny bit moist (like how a sponge is packaged) and now it's dried and stiff and hard as a brick. That sucker won't really fit in my turbie towel now like I planned, but I'm trying it out anyway. You all would laugh if you could see my HUGE HEAD right now with this thing on.

I think that troubleshooting wise, I will plan ahead for my wash and about the same time I remember to steep my stupid catnip for my conditioner (five hours ahead), I will moisten my chamois towel so it is the right softness texture for both folding and SOAKING up moisture from my hair.

Last time I plopped it was almost too CURLY. Whoa, I am not used to this.

I don't know if this will work for your chamois - I went looking for some yesterday and haven't yet been successful - but I also went and googled them on how to look after them and how they work best (er..when using on cars and other things) - but it said that for fast absorbency they work best when damp so maybe if you dampen it slightlty and leave it to air dry or blow dry it (which was ok to do if it ended up too wet) it might work for under your turbie. :)
I'd say it was worth a try even if it sounds a bit strange,

Aredhel77
August 5th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Plopping hasn't worked too well for me yet but possibly I'm not doing it right - I've only used regular towels, although I've tried hard not to let them rub my hair too much. :shrug: I'll have to root around and see if I can find something more suitable. I don't have many t-shirts, hmmm....