PDA

View Full Version : "Hair Oils" in Cosmo!

Cania
July 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I was having a glance over the Cosmo website and this caught my eye:
http://www.cosmopolitan.co.uk/beauty-hair/styles/products/hair-oil-bb-cream-frizzy-hair

Seems that oiling your hair is becoming a bit popular, which seems crazy to me. Whenever a friend asks me for hair advice and I tell them to try oil, they seem to think it's dirty or just plain wrong :p

But those prices - £30 ($47) for one of them! :disgust:

Do you think they're actually superior to just making your own?

Have any of you used these?

I'm really curious to know if there's any difference, or if it's just a gimmick!

Alvrodul
July 16th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I wonder - just what is in those bottles? Loads of cones with one or two drops of oil?? :suspect:

Bunnysaur
July 16th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Alvrodul-
Pretty much, yeah. My mom was all excited about spending something like $20 on a .5oz thing of MoroccanOil. I read her the ingredients, went to get my $8 2oz bottle of pure argan oil, read her the ingredients on it, and just watched her jaw drop :p

Cania
July 16th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I wonder - just what is in those bottles? Loads of cones with one or two drops of oil?? :suspect:

I was wondering this too!

Alvrodul-
Pretty much, yeah. My mom was all excited about spending something like $20 on a .5oz thing of MoroccanOil. I read her the ingredients, went to get my $8 2oz bottle of pure argan oil, read her the ingredients on it, and just watched her jaw drop :p

Oh my. Makes me kind of sad that people are effectively being ripped off :( I suppose they could do more research, but still..

Amber_Maiden
July 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I have seen bottles of pure argan oil go for $60. And yep, it was pure...

akuamoonmaui
July 17th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I was skeptical of hair oils at first, but had faith in the LHC and tried them. Now they're indispensible! Lately I've been on a Kukui nut oil kick. Yes, too much and it gives people the impression you have poor hygiene, but just the right amount and baby, your hair is gorgeous!!!

Perhaps the bad PR comes from all the years of 'getting rid of oily/greasy hair' commercials for shampoo...

prettykitty
July 17th, 2012, 12:08 AM
The price of some of those coneoils is outrageous, yikes!

Oksana
July 17th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Those prices are just silly. I always used to use coconut oil but I recently bought myself some pure argan oil (at a much reduced price than the named brands) and I really like it. It was only a small bottle (eye drop size) for £1.99 but I only need to use a few little drops so it should last quite a while.

lunalocks
July 17th, 2012, 04:01 AM
I love my oils. I just don't tell anyone. I have even kept the secret from my hair guru hair trimmer who commented last time (I hadn't seen her for 18 months, since the oiling began) on the quality of my ends and overall hair health.

Calendula and Jojoba give me the softest hair, but, for me, mineral oil is the holy grail.

DarkCurls
July 17th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Hm. I don't know... I used to use a very "oily", very coney serum. It worked great, but definitely not as good as real oil. I'm not sure that's what they're selling!
I'm not sure what people would say to me using olive oil in my hair. :D Even if Cosmo approves.
(Mineral oil is my holy grail, too.)

Tisiloves
July 17th, 2012, 04:27 AM
They're mostly cones, very expensive ones at that. I think I will stick to my £5 for half a kilo coconut oil, and some stuff I stole from the kitchen.

MintChocChip
July 17th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Oh yes, I saw that this morning on yahoo too. I've seen magazines raving about hair oils for a while funnily enough, but they're these expensive expensive formulas. Think I'll be sticking to my cheap Holland & Barratt sweet almond oil! :)

Bit concerned about this bit though:

“They’re incredible for speeding up a blow-dry as the oil reacts with the heat to repel the water from the hair quicker, so they are time-saving too,” continues Jamie

Ahhh! Don't do that! :run:

mawiwala
July 17th, 2012, 05:21 AM
I usually use Babassu Oil and Oilrinsing. I have very fine hair, and most of the oils are to heavy for me.

TiffanieJean
July 17th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I think doing your own is always better because 1. It's way cheaper 2. you know exactly what is in it 3. You can customize the amounts to your hair. 4. I have a slight oil addiction...

I do advice on a mom site and I tell anyone who asks about how to make their hair grow 'faster' -better- or look healthier to do hair masks with oils. A lot of women never think of doing it, but it's so everyone helpful!

Cania
July 17th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Bit concerned about this bit though:

“They’re incredible for speeding up a blow-dry as the oil reacts with the heat to repel the water from the hair quicker, so they are time-saving too,” continues Jamie

Ahhh! Don't do that! :run:

I saw that too and was alarmed! I blowdry, but that's exactly the reason I have never tried oils as a leave in... surely people know what happens when you warm up oil?!

I think I'll just stick to my cheapo EVOO myself XD

hairstuck
July 22nd, 2012, 12:54 AM
Morrocan/argan oil is really popular.

Some people prefer lower concentrations of oil.. pure oil can be very heavy and greasy for some hair.

And, yes, some of the popular brands of low-percentage oil are expensive!

So, if you put oil on your hair and blow dry, it tends to dry faster. This means less heat time, but potentially higher temperatures. Is your hair worse off from the potentially hotter temperature, even though you used heat for a shorter duration?