PDA

View Full Version : Split strands-how does this happen!?

Vampyria
July 16th, 2012, 02:53 PM
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p496/Lilith513/hjjf.jpg?t=1342469223

I found this split strand today, and have no idea how has this happened. It's split almost to the root. I have not dyed or heat styled my hair for two years, and I never had those when I did. This is the second one, I already found one before, soon after a cassia treatment a month or two ago. I "accidentally" mixed it with yogurt, and my hair does not like protein. :brickwall The funny thing is that my ends are not split at all and I haven't trimmed after that treatment.

I use SLS and SLES free shampoo and natural moisturizing conditioner. I also did a couple of honey lightenings before, but I stopped when my hair started to tangle more than usual. And I'm barely past shoulder length.

Has anyone else found those? I'm afraid that I'm doing something wrong in my hair care, because I don't think one protein overload would do that. Or would it? :shrug:

kitekats
July 16th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Oh my -that's something, even with my years of dying experience I haven't found anything like that :0

Madora
July 16th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Splits will continue to split, regardless where it is on the strand. I wouldn't worry. I once had a strand that had 7 tiny splits..all close together.

spidermom
July 16th, 2012, 04:24 PM
My hair just loves to split. I haven't found anything that goes almost all the way to the root yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if I did.

lmfbs
July 17th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Here's some pics of other split ends - not like your impressive one though!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=96806

Shiranshoku
July 17th, 2012, 01:22 AM
If you found only two, and they're the only splits you can see, I wouldn't worry too much.
I think that for some people a split travels up easier than for others. It looks very dramatic, but you know, 2 / the gazillion hairs you have on your head really isn't that bad :)

evieisocoolike
July 17th, 2012, 01:27 AM
That's fairly normal, or at least I think it is. I only sometimes get split ends, but when I do...:bigeyes: I've had one where it was one y, than about 5 feathers, another y, about 10 feathers, and another y and a white dot. I was scared. How do these things happen???

SilverDoe
July 17th, 2012, 02:44 AM
I have no idea why, but looking at that strand makes me itch to just continue pulling the split upwards. :bigeyes::crazyq:

Zesty
July 17th, 2012, 02:52 AM
My hair likes to split dramatically too. I wouldn't be too concerned unless your hair overall looks quite damaged. If you want to minimize them even more you could try examining your routine for sources of mechanical damage (sleeping on cotton and being impatient with a wide tooth comb were some of mine) and try to eliminate them.

Vampyria
July 17th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Thank you all for your responses! :) I have a silk pillow case, but I like to use really fine-toothed comb, and when I use claw clips, I just pull them out sometimes. I'm not doing that again, and I hope this was the last strand looking like this.

CurlyCurves
July 18th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Did anyone else shudder: when they saw the split? :laugh:

Hope you're okay, OP!

palaeoqueen
July 18th, 2012, 11:08 AM
My hair reacts pretty badly to a single protein overload so it's certainly possible. I wouldn't worry unless you're finding loads of splits.

Vampyria
July 18th, 2012, 02:21 PM
CurlyCurves, I found no more damage, so :happydance:. Thanks! :)

palaeoqueen, thanks for sharing. :) I'll rather stick to my oil treatments from now on. ;)

CurlyCurves
July 21st, 2012, 05:56 AM
CurlyCurves, I found no more damage, so :happydance:. Thanks! :)

You're welcome! Happy to hear you found no more damage :)