PDA

View Full Version : If your hair has been a little off lately.....

julliams
July 16th, 2012, 07:07 AM
...it's not necessarily time for a cut!

I've been complaining about my dry hair for a little while now - my ends were awful and my wave had just about disappeared despite trying clarifying on several occasions. It was looking frizzy and poofy (not in a good way) and I was wondering if it was simply too long for me.

Well, after putting some love and care into it and doing a few moisture treatments, I'm glad to say that it's looking like it used to again. I thought it was a lost cause and time to go for a hefty chop but I was wrong. First I oiled up with an overnight olive oil treatment and heat followed by soaking in conditioner for an hour. This made very little difference but it was better. I tried some coconut oil on the ends and this worked really well. Unfortunately I over-oiled so I had to wash again. I went out and bought the Redken Real Control treatment and tried it on it's own - was ok. Then tonight I did another Real Control treatment with a heat cap and followed with my Giovanni Direct Leave in conditioner and I do believe I have my hair back - waves and all!

It seems benign neglect is not very good for my hair. It turns out my texture needs moisture consistently and maybe even a little bit of cones here and there (not too much because the build-up takes my curl away). When I was doing moisture treatments weekly, my hair was at it's best and I guess I got a little complacent and figured it was "fixed".

So the moral of the story is to try a few moisture treatments if you think your hair is too dry and needs a chop (but you don't want to). I'm amazed at the difference in my hair after three treatments and I suspect that if I am to continue to see this improvement, I will have to go back to weekly treatments.

Demi-Plum
July 16th, 2012, 07:22 AM
That is great news to hear! I'm very happy that you got your hair back on track without the need for a chop. It gives me hope that if that ever happens to me there may be a way out of that fix.

Amber_Maiden
July 16th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Same here. Have the same situation going on. I've figured out that my hair really needs constant attention or it gets dry. Still trying to fix the dryness with moisture treatments. I've already but 4in of the dryness off! :(

Glad you have got yours fixed!!!

EtherealDoll
July 16th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I agree with you. If your hair looks very dry, chopping it off is not the only option. Regular moisture treatments and oiling can do wonders.

DarkCurls
July 16th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I'm glad it turned out okay. :D

And yeah, I definitely agree. I hate trimming (let alone chopping, ugh, what a horrible word), but my hair has been acting up a bit lately, probably because of the weather. Actually, just my ends. My roots and length are fine, but my ends are pretty dry. I've been wearing my hair up and oiling the ends a lot (olive oil and mineral oil), and with that + CO washing I think I'll pull through the summer just fine.

1nuitblanche
July 16th, 2012, 08:07 AM
That's great that you found a solution that didn't require you to cut your hair!

lapushka
July 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM
So the moral of the story is to try a few moisture treatments if you think your hair is too dry and needs a chop (but you don't want to). I'm amazed at the difference in my hair after three treatments and I suspect that if I am to continue to see this improvement, I will have to go back to weekly treatments.

Same here. Have the same situation going on. I've figured out that my hair really needs constant attention or it gets dry. Still trying to fix the dryness with moisture treatments. I've already but 4in of the dryness off! :(

^^ All of this is so true! And same here!

I had dry, crunchy-feeling ends and attacked it with lots of moisture, it's doing a bit better now. I was on the verge of having it trimmed as well. That's not going to happen any time soon now.

spidermom
July 16th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I've been doing deep treatments, too; trying to hang onto my length and go past classic this time.

Alvrodul
July 16th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Moisture treatments and clarifying - those cure most ills for me. SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)s rock! :rockerdud