PDA

View Full Version : Do fairytale ends depend on hair texture?

Jessibear2854
July 15th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I really want fairytale ends, but it seems like whenever I see pictures of them it is someone with much more wave to their hair than what I have. Is it necessary to have more wave to get fairytale ends? Also, in Sept. it will have been a year since I trimmed, and my ends are getting pretty raunchy. Is that just something I'm going to have to embrace in my quest for these ends?

Hollyfire3
July 15th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I think that wavies tend to want fairytale ends for the look (I don't but its lovely on others). Straight haired people can have fairytale ends, its just a matter of not trimming the hair often (except S and D).

auburntressed
July 15th, 2012, 09:38 PM
If you stop trimming, your hair will EVENTUALLY start to fairy tail. The question is how long it will take before you notice. If you've got a pretty thick hemline, it may very well take a while.

Lostsoule77
July 15th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure if only wavies can get them, I think anyone can if they don't cut or trim their hair. I haven't cut, other than s & d, since January 1, 2011 and I still don't have fairy tale ends. When I joined I did, but I'm not too sure when my last cut was before then. It was at least a year, but could've been longer.

You don't have to have "raunchy" ends to have have fairy tale ends. Just make sure you baby them and S&D. Is it just your ends that are bad? Have you clarified within the last few months? There are many factors that can affect your ends. Did you used to color, flat iron, or blow dry? If you did then your ends will still be affected by that until the hair that was treated that way is gone. If that is the case I would suggest microtrimming, or just cutting, to get rid of them and not try to attain fairy tale ends until that hair is gone.

Good luck. :D

ddiana1979
July 15th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Anyone can get them. It can take awhile though. Most people I see with fairytale ends either have thin hair -or- hair past hip length at the very least (I guess because with thick hair it's just too hard to notice on WL hair, for example).

When you do trim, how do you do it? If you want fairytales, try trimming in a V shaped hemline next time, maybe even a deep V. IMO, as a V shape starts to grow out it looks more like FT ends than if you start with a blunt, straight across hem.

Shepherdess
July 15th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Since I quite trimming, I have started getting some fairytale-ends. I think it will happen to anyone who stops trimming. :)

sun-kissed
July 15th, 2012, 10:29 PM
My sister has straight hair, and since she started growing her hair out from BSL to now just past waist without trimming, her hair has developed some lovely fairytales.

momoftwo708
July 15th, 2012, 11:42 PM
What are fairytale Ends? Sorry I may sound crazy lol

inertia
July 16th, 2012, 01:24 AM
You don't need wavy hair to get fairytale ends. It happens to straight hair too. But when they will develop depends on your starting haircut, thickness, and terminal length. If you're starting from a blunt cut and always trim your hair blunt, it won't fairytale as much as layered hair. On the other hand, if you love the look and don't want to wait for it to happen naturally, or your hair is too thick for it to happen at your goal length, you can get a really similar look by getting a V or U hemline with layered ends.

Panth
July 16th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I have them and I'm 1b.

All you have to do is: not trim your hair and wait. It may go a little quicker if you start with a reasonably pronounced U- or V-shaped hemline.

All they are is damage-induced taper. (Meaning no offence at all to anyone - they may be caused by excess damage, but they may just be caused by the inevitable day-to-day damage that happens and is impossible to stop). Because of this, they are more common with longer lengths (longer hair = ends are older than they are on shorter hair = ends are more damaged than on shorter hair = more taper). They are also more common on delicate hair - this may mean fine, or it may mean curly, or it may mean some other parameter.

spidermom
July 16th, 2012, 11:34 AM
It's not only damage-induced taper. It also happens because not every hair grows at the same rate. That is one reason for trimming, to hold faster-growing hairs back so that slower-growing hairs can catch up and thicken the ends.

Just don't trim other than S&D, and eventually your hem will be quite uneven and you'll have your fairy tale ends.

Nightshade
July 16th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I have them and I'm 1b.

All you have to do is: not trim your hair and wait. It may go a little quicker if you start with a reasonably pronounced U- or V-shaped hemline.

All they are is damage-induced taper. (Meaning no offence at all to anyone - they may be caused by excess damage, but they may just be caused by the inevitable day-to-day damage that happens and is impossible to stop). Because of this, they are more common with longer lengths (longer hair = ends are older than they are on shorter hair = ends are more damaged than on shorter hair = more taper). They are also more common on delicate hair - this may mean fine, or it may mean curly, or it may mean some other parameter.

It's not only damage-induced taper. It also happens because not every hair grows at the same rate. That is one reason for trimming, to hold faster-growing hairs back so that slower-growing hairs can catch up and thicken the ends.

Just don't trim other than S&D, and eventually your hem will be quite uneven and you'll have your fairy tale ends.

Spidey is right. While damage can indeed cause it, even the healthiest of hair left untrimmed will fairytale because of the cycle of shed hairs falling out and regrowing. With so many hairs at different stages, and growing from different heights atop the head, the standard left-to-its-own-devices hemline is a fairytale, even if it's 110% healthy.

Panth
July 18th, 2012, 12:09 PM

Spidey is right. While damage can indeed cause it, even the healthiest of hair left untrimmed will fairytale because of the cycle of shed hairs falling out and regrowing. With so many hairs at different stages, and growing from different heights atop the head, the standard left-to-its-own-devices hemline is a fairytale, even if it's 110% healthy.

Ah, my bad. You are right, of course.

(I do maintain that mine are mostly damage-induced taper, though :P)

SoulOfTheSea
July 18th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Fairytale ends, from what I've read on the forum in various threads, happen because of your hair strands' different individual growth rates. Some grow faster than others, and this causes that tapered "fairytale" look, and any hair texture can get it. So part of it is genetics, another part is trimming. If you trim on a regular basis, you are canceling out this natural imbalance in growth rates on a regular basis. Thus, trimming will help prevent fairy tail ends from forming.

Another idea I get is that people can get fairytale ends while they are growing out layers in their hair, or if their hair is damaged and strands have broken in several places, making the hair look tapered and fairytaled.

This is just what I've read, like I said. I'm no expert.