PDA

View Full Version : Breakage or new growth?

timotej
July 15th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I have been WO-washing for almost a month now, and I just noticed lots of short hairs in my hairline (not sure if that is the correct word). It could be good news - my hair reacting positively to the lack of harsh detergents, or it could be bad news - my hair reacting badly to the new regime, perhaps to the excess of sebum, or to harder rubbing during rinses, or to the BBB (which seems a bit harsh to my hair). Is there any way of knowing which? :confused:

swearnsue
July 15th, 2012, 03:38 PM
New growth is slightly tapered at the ends and breakage is broken off and at differing lengths.

timotej
July 15th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Great answer, thank you. Off to investigate!:)

timotej
July 15th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hmm, really hard to say, my hair is fine and these strands are really really fine. I've been staring at them but it's hard to see. I would know for sure if I picked them out, but if they're new that would sort of go against what I want. :D I think there is taper on some of them, but they don't all seem to be of the same length. At least one of them look like it was broken off... but then one is definitely newish since it's completely white... Maybe I have both issues going on at the same time, lol.

MeowScat
July 15th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Maybe you can see if the ends come to a point with a magnifying glass? Get real close to a well-lit mirror if their not long enough to pull in front of your eyes to investigate.

McFearless
July 15th, 2012, 06:05 PM
WO gave me many new hairs too. Are they just along your hairline or do they stick up all over your head? Also if your brush is harsh could you switch to something different?

MrsGuther
July 15th, 2012, 07:14 PM
BBB breaks my hair off... Hopefully your short hairs are new growth though!

spidermom
July 15th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Truth be told; it's probably a combination of new growth plus breakage.

Louise148
July 17th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I have been noticing the same thing recently bu my hair is very fine so it was hard to tell if they were tapered at the end so I plucked one out and had a close look. It had a tapered end...YAY!! :cheese: Looks like new growth. Hopefully over the next couple of years as my pixie grows out it will also slowly start to thicken up a bit...fingers crossed.

longNred
July 17th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I have the same thing going on, almost like little "tufts" in my hairline. it's a love/hate relationship with those. love that most seem like new-ish hairs. hate that they are "tufty".

timotej
July 17th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Thank you for all your answers. I've been thinking more about this (perhaps obsessing would be a better term) and it seems most of the short hairs are about 5 centimetres or so (I don't know it in inches, perhaps around 2 inches?), and since I've been WO-ing for about a month it's not very likely that they popped up since then. So maybe the coarser quality of hair that WO brings simply makes them stand out more? I took a closer look and several of them seem to have taper which is good.

timotej
July 17th, 2012, 08:40 AM
WO gave me many new hairs too. Are they just along your hairline or do they stick up all over your head? Also if your brush is harsh could you switch to something different?

I made different partings and looked but could only see them along my hairline. But I don't have good light anywhere in the apartment, and no magnifying glass either, so I can't be sure.

ETA: Are you still doing WO? How did/do you like it?

ETA again... I can't say I like the feeling of the BBB against my hair, but it seems to be helping a lot to make my hair presentable while WOing. Did you use it? Do you have any other suggestions? I use a regular brush but it doesn't take away the "stringy" look as well as the BBB does.

Louise148
July 17th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I notice mine all over my head although predominantly in the top sections. I am hoping it is these new hairs that will help thicken my hair over the next couple of years.

timotej
July 17th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Truth be told; it's probably a combination of new growth plus breakage.

Spidermom, are you saying this because of BBB use? Or do you mean it as a "fact of life" as in, hair always does this?