PDA

View Full Version : It finally seems to be growing!

Gilly
July 15th, 2012, 03:14 PM
After a very long while when I basically hated my hair, nothing I tried seemed to help or make it look better.:(

It has finally started to look like it has turned a corner and is at last growing.

I have gone back to using CV shampoo bars, my current fave is the butter conditioning bar, it seems to really help with keeping moisture in my hair:cheese:
I am using conditioner after it but NO acid rinse. I figure that the conditioners I use have got citric acid in them and my hair feels great after so I am not going to mess with it!

I was booked in for a trim last week but I cancelled it as I really don't think it needs a trim at the moment, its looking fine!

I just thought I would update anyone who is interested

spidermom
July 15th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Hooray!
I'm happy for you.

swearnsue
July 15th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I'm glad you are feeling good about your hair. Did you do anything different or was it just a matter to being patient??

FrannyG
July 15th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Yahoooooooo! :disco: You must be so happy. I look forward to sharing your progress. :blossom:

Sisgoldenhair65
July 15th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Yay!! It's so nice to read happy hair posts!

momoftwo708
July 15th, 2012, 05:17 PM
How long did it take, I messed up my layers making them too short n too thick and hoping by November it will be better or end of September

McFearless
July 15th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Congrats!!

Micayla47
July 15th, 2012, 05:55 PM
i looked at your profile picture and all i could really see was the color, which is gorgeous! and thanks for the update on getting out of a "stuck" hair phase. i'm stuck in never never land between apl and bsl and it seems like i'm going to be here forever.

Gilly
August 29th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Well that was short live!
It seemed to be going ok then it seemed like almost overnight it has gone, dry, flyaway looking, won't hold ANY style and generally sits on top of my head sulking at me:(
I have very low self esteem as it is and this is just making me want to stop going out in public or going to work, both of which I know is ridiculous:rolleyes:
It just seems to get to a point and BANG, that's it bad hair day city.
I guess I should just face it, I am NEVER going to get even BSL hair, get it cut to a managable length and get on with living my life without the stress of thinking that I look crappy all the time.

Sorry for the pity party, I'm sure I sound very vain but I am not believe me I just want to look nice, that's not too much to ask is it?

Madora
August 29th, 2012, 09:07 PM
After a very long while when I basically hated my hair, nothing I tried seemed to help or make it look better.:(

It has finally started to look like it has turned a corner and is at last growing.

I have gone back to using CV shampoo bars, my current fave is the butter conditioning bar, it seems to really help with keeping moisture in my hair:cheese:
I am using conditioner after it but NO acid rinse. I figure that the conditioners I use have got citric acid in them and my hair feels great after so I am not going to mess with it!

I was booked in for a trim last week but I cancelled it as I really don't think it needs a trim at the moment, its looking fine!

I just thought I would update anyone who is interested

Since your routine did not end as you expected, maybe your products are the culprits.

You might want to switch over to a gentle shampoo (instead of the CV shampoo bars) and condition afterwards.

I have a sneaking hunch that the combination of the CV butter conditioning bar, plus the additional conditioner, was too much for your hair.

If you are concerned about keeping moisture in your hair longer, you might want to investigate using mineral oil (aka baby oil). It helps keep moisture in the hair longer, plus is a great detangler and helps tame the frizzies as well.

Here is a link:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

It works best on hair that has been clarified first, but you can put it on damp (not sopping wet) or dry hair.

The best mineral oil is one that only contains the oil plus a fragrance. Additives are less effective, and in some cases, have caused breakouts and allergies.

You only need a few drops and it leaves your hair soft, shiny and supple. There's no after scent and it washes out easily.

Naturally, it doesn't work for every hair type, but several members here can vouch for its effectiveness.

The thing to remember is that putting too many different products (conditioners, oils, etc) on the hair at one time can result in lank, lackluster or "cranky" hair. Many times, this is because the various products are "warring" with each other and creating the problem.

Perhaps if you clarified your hair with a clarifying shampoo (not baking soda), then conditioned, maybe your hair would be more to your liking. Go easy on the conditioning. You don't want to weigh down your hair with too much. You want just enough conditioning to coat it lightly.

jacqueline101
August 29th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I'm glad your hair is growing and you feel better about yourself.

Gilly
August 29th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I'm glad your hair is growing and you feel better about yourself.

See post number 9 :-(

SerinaDaith
August 29th, 2012, 09:50 PM
If short hair makes you happy go for it after doing a little playing with your routine. If it doesn't then let it grow, give it some time to grow long enough to start updo's every day, that is the stage I am looking forward to. Then I can be more benignly neglectful and perhaps a little less obsessive. I was moving right along and I am very close to that goal and then my life turned all topsy-turvy and I have stalled just at the tops of my shoulders, which on me means still not long enough to put up or do much with without pulling it all so tight that I started breaking where I was ponytailing. Give yourself and your hair the gift of time before doing something you may regret.

Mesmerise
August 29th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Well that was short live!
It seemed to be going ok then it seemed like almost overnight it has gone, dry, flyaway looking, won't hold ANY style and generally sits on top of my head sulking at me:(
I have very low self esteem as it is and this is just making me want to stop going out in public or going to work, both of which I know is ridiculous:rolleyes:
It just seems to get to a point and BANG, that's it bad hair day city.
I guess I should just face it, I am NEVER going to get even BSL hair, get it cut to a managable length and get on with living my life without the stress of thinking that I look crappy all the time.

Sorry for the pity party, I'm sure I sound very vain but I am not believe me I just want to look nice, that's not too much to ask is it?

I kinda agree with the idea that you need to get it long enough to do more stuff WITH. When you've got hair past a certain length, bad hair days are less frequent, because you can pull it back and forget about it!

I swear my hair goes through phases too. Sometimes it seems like it's getting better and then BAM it's all frizzy and gross. However, frizzy and gross can be remedied in less than a minute with the help of a hair elastic ;). If my hair were too short to do anything with, I'm sure I'd be despairing too!! As it is, it's long enough that I can wear it back and forget about how awful it is :).

I really don't know if cutting is the answer (well, it MAY be for you, but it isn't for me - trial and error has taught me this). I know it's hard to suck it up and deal with hair in an annoying stage, but I think it's probably worth it if you can just get through until your hair is long enough to do more with.

jojo
August 30th, 2012, 09:19 AM
That's wonderful news :toast:

Gilly
August 30th, 2012, 04:00 PM
That's wonderful news :toast:

Is it? I'm not really happy about it looking crappy!

jojo
August 31st, 2012, 12:05 AM
Is it? I'm not really happy about it looking crappy!

Sorry just seen your updated post. Maybe clarifying and some deep treatments may help. I have unpredictable hair too, I go from a good day to a bad day regularly but what works for me is the above and just putting it up and ignoring it. I never thought I'd get to bsl let alone hip but my patience paid off in the end. Now I'm trying to maintain thick ends so I go to and forth from hip to waist, you will get the Gilly on good days enjoy it and the less good days ignore it, hang in there!:blossom:

Gilly
August 31st, 2012, 12:15 AM
Sorry just seen your updated post. Maybe clarifying and some deep treatments may help. I have unpredictable hair too, I go from a good day to a bad day regularly but what works for me is the above and just putting it up and ignoring it. I never thought I'd get to bsl let alone hip but my patience paid off in the end. Now I'm trying to maintain thick ends so I go to and forth from hip to waist, you will get the Gilly on good days enjoy it and the less good days ignore it, hang in there!:blossom:
No worries!
I have calmed down after my pity party yesterday and have decided to just put it in a clip and ignore it for at least a month. I have clarified and done a treatment and plan on doing a few a week, I will have to blow dry the very front but everything else will get put up while still damp so I am hoping that will help it a lot. I don't like how I look when I have my hair up (fat face and neck) but I figure that it will look neater and I won't scare small children with the wildness of my hair! I have some lovely combs called Stylee's they really hold my baby fine hair really well and don't damage it (I buff the seams in the combs to be sure) I have several different ones so I can ring the changes!
Thanks for the encouragement, it's really appreciated!

Sarahlabyrinth
August 31st, 2012, 12:29 AM
Hi Gilly, from what I can see in your profile pic your hair is a really beautiful colour. Yes, we all have our down depressing hair days. I guess the thing is to be patient, try some different products/routines, and learn to ignore hair as much as you can on the bad days. as your hair gets a little longer you will at least be able to use pretty clips and do ponytails, so things won't be so bad.

I do archery too, its great fun and very relaxing. I shoot a 26 pound recurve, hoping to move up to a 36 pounder. I would be interested in trying a longbow too.:)

Gilly
September 11th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I am officially over it!
I am booking my appointment with the hairdresser for next week, I have been trying to ignore it but it just sits on top of my head sulking and going mental whenever it wants!
Enough is enough, I am going back to the shorter length then I can start having fun with life again rather than worrying what way the wind is blowing, is it humid, have I used the right conditioner etc :(
Life is too short!!

beautifulending
September 12th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Yay! Wishing you all the best while growing. :)