PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your hair while sleeping in this hot weather?

Fairlight63
July 15th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I used to sleep with a silk cap on in the winter time or when it is cool. But is has been so hot that I can't use it.
What I have been doing is to put it in 1 braid down my back then when I lay down on the pillow to roll it up on the pillow. It is OK until I get up in the middle of the night & I have hair down in my face that bugs me.
I was wondering if you have some better ideas of what to do with it so that it does not get hot & sweaty & will stay out of the way.

Makes me wonder what ladies did a long time ago when they had really long hair & they had no air cond. When I was getting ready for church this morning I was just melting from the heat. I was trying to braid my hair & to put it in a bun & it was sticking to my hands & so hard to deal with.

Madora
July 15th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Thankfully, it doesn't get really hot very often in my neck of the woods.

I found that keeping my hair in a loosely braided bun on top of my head worked well (I use 9 3 inch hair pins. There's a pic in my album).

What's even better, there's hardly any tangling problems when you take it down the next morning.

Maybe you might try misting your hair lightly with water if you find it sticking to your hands when trying to style it.

Ticky
July 15th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I let it hang over my pillow, loose or in a braid. Seems to work for me.

Firefly
July 15th, 2012, 04:51 PM
A loose braid works for me, but I'm in a New England coastal climate so it's not common for it to be really hot. Humid though! Maybe you could try starting your braid way up on the top of your head?

Amygirl8
July 15th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I make a really messy but surprisingly sturdy bun XD
I flip over, hold my hair in my hand like a ponytail, and then wrap the hair over and around my other hand. Then I secure it halfway with a scrunchy. It stays really well =D

spirals
July 15th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I sleep with it down and behind me, regardless of weather. I start out laying on my side. But I move so much during the night that any kind of braid or bun would actually end up more tangled.

Demi-Plum
July 15th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Personally I don't do anything to my hair. I leave it loose and just throw it up over my pillow while I sleep. It really works for the way that I sleep and I never wake up with a mess or tangles and I have fine/thin hair. My hair is 35" though so it's long enough to do that with

jeanniet
July 15th, 2012, 05:58 PM
It's usually pretty chilly here at night and we sleep with windows open in the summer, so I just wear a silk beanie all year round. It's very, very rare for it to be so warm at night that a beanie is uncomfortable.

ladyshep
July 15th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I put it in a some braids then pray that it starts to cool down soon.

KwaveT
July 15th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I don't have the long hair like you guys do. I do sleep on a satin pillowcase and sheets so it doesn heat your head up. I mostly just try to push my hair behind my ears and I occasionally see my hair try to trap itself under my neck so I slap it to side to get it loose. My hair in back is in that shoulder plus range.

akuamoonmaui
July 15th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I use a wide fabric headband wrapped a couple times to hold a bun on the very top of my head so I can sleep without the bun bothering the back of my neck/head.

kam.pearson
July 15th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I pineapple way up on top of my head with a big scrunchie. It rests on the pillow and doesn't pull. Its the only thing I can do without getting a headache.

Silken
July 15th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Loose bun on top of my head.

Stellaaa
July 15th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Way back in 1980 or so, when I was just starting to grow my hair, I was working on costumes for "The Elelphant Man" and one thing I read for that was a Victorian grooming book. This was back before Google and Wikipedia and (Gasp!) LHC so this sort of information was much harder to come by. I had been sleeping with my hair loose and coping with mats and snarls and hair-in-sleepy-face.

The book suggested that the hair be put in loose braid, possibly over one shoulder, for sleeping. I've been doing that ever since. When it's really really hot the braid is less loose and more on the top of my head. Never thought there was any other way until I read this thread, but it's given me some ideas.

First post! Hi everybody. I tried post an introductory post in the New Here thread but i wouldn't let me (seems like I can only access Quick Reply), so Helllo from here.

Ayjay
July 16th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I always sleep with my hair in a braid or 2 braids. if I didn't I think my husband would have (accidentally) ripped out most of my hair by now :p And I like the waves that I get, though I pretty much always have my hair braided so it probably doesn't matter.

Amber_Maiden
July 16th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Same topknot I wear all day!!

Winnie!
July 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Most of the time I do the 'Jasmine' ponytail as I call it. I put it in a low ponytail with a scrunchie and put another near the middle/end. Sometimes I just put it in a top knot bun. :)

heidi w.
July 16th, 2012, 12:39 PM
When it gets really hot, I have to run the window A/C unit all night long, and I also run my room fan to force the cooler air around the room, and the hot air out of the room. I set the fan on low. I put my hair loose and above my head then out to the side every night.

In the morning, I'm often still sticky and have to wash my hands before I put my hair up. I do practice more frequent scalp washing in the humidity of summer. I'm sweating right now sitting in a cooled wifi cafe; I think it's a personal summer on top of the humidity. I literally sweat rivulets of sweat, running down my body under my clothing. I hate it. Absolutely hate it.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 16th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Most of the time I do the 'Jasmine' ponytail as I call it. I put it in a low ponytail with a scrunchie and put another near the middle/end. Sometimes I just put it in a top knot bun. :)

I have some jasmine spritzer body spray from Whole Foods some time ago. I spritz some of that on sometimes to cool my skin.

heidi w.

Zesty
July 16th, 2012, 12:50 PM
This thread has got me thinking... I just ordered a sleep cap and I'm hoping it won't be too hot to use it when I get home (where it's been in the high 80s for weeks, and our A/C works poorly, and my room is the hottest in the house). If it is, I guess I'll just keep going with my braided silk-wrapped topknot to keep my hair off of me while I sleep.

RiotPrrl
July 16th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I put my hair in either a regular braid or a french braid (depends if I want my bangs out of my face or not). I'm only at (almost?) APL, but my hair gets really tangly (especially if it's hot) when I sleep with it loose.

Wasn't there a while back some intructions for an Amish updo with braids that was really comfortable to sleep in? I don't have a link for it, but that might be an option.

Arashi
July 16th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Usually it's a Dutch or French braid for me. Sometimes I'll do a braided bun on top of my head, but a regular braid works just as well for me.

catamonica
July 16th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Sometimes I wear a single braid to bed. Other times, a low braided bun. I use wide open bobby pins. They keep the hair in place. I haven't worn it down, to much. Because it's to hot.

blondie9912
July 16th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Nothing different, either a high bun or a French braid. Thank God for central AC!

Shermie Girl
July 16th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Most nights, I sleep with my hair in a simple English braid. :D

FrannyG
July 16th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Every night, no matter the weather, I make a bun on the top of my head, and secure it with a 4 inch Quattro fork, which is extremely lightweight, secure and hair friendly.

Mountaingrrl
July 16th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Twin braids work best for me. On the hot, sticky days, I'll sometimes use a spray with peppermint oil to cool down.

mawiwala
July 17th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Hm,

mostly I wear a high cinnamon, holding up with hair screws. I always loose my forks at night, and sometimes I wake up, with them poking me some where.

Juanita
July 17th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Ponytail to the top of my head ,then flip it over the top of my pillow.

lunalocks
July 17th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I thought I would try leaving it loose last night, still damp, for the first time in months and months. Ugh! Too hot. What works best for me is to get it off of my neck and shoulders. I seashell bun it on the top of my head, held in place with spin pins.

This is one of the changes I have made in the past year that has led to less breakage and less splits.