PDA

View Full Version : confused about combing in shower

novemberfoxtrot
July 15th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I want to try combing my hair in the shower with conditioner so that I don't disturb my curl pattern but I just can't picture how this will work.

So, I'm supposed to condition my hair, comb through and then rinse. But then when I wring my hair out won't I end up with my hair in a few (like four) big chunks? How do I get volume in my crown?

jeanniet
July 15th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Use a lot of conditioner; your hair should be really soaked in it. When you're done, you don't want to wring or twist your hair out. Put in your leave-in, then use a towel or t-shirt to scrunch up your curls and soak up excess water. Then let it dry without touching it. You can also try plopping (there's some good instructional videos on youtube), to enhance your curls.

earthnut
July 15th, 2012, 12:43 PM
How many chunks you get will be reduced somewhat by combing, but you probably won't end up with only 3 or 4. The amount our hair clumps is determined by large part by genetics. My hair has a hard time clumping much at all, even with combing.

Personally, as a curly, I don't rinse the conditioner out. I leave it in and it encourages clumping and curling even more.

Scrunching your hair might help, or it may break up the clumps. Plopping may or may not help. Usually curlies get good results with these techniques, but not always. As a general rule, to reduce frizz, you want to avoid terry and microfiber towels, and use a smooth cloth like a tshirt, kitchen towel, or pillowcase instead to dry your hair.

Ultimately you just have to try it and see what works for your own hair! Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules.

Yozhik
July 15th, 2012, 01:10 PM
What kind of wringing are you doing with your hair post shower? What I do is try to gently squeeze the water out down the length, and then to encourage volume at the roots, put my hair up in a towel (or t-shirt) to dry.

HTH! :flower:

novemberfoxtrot
July 15th, 2012, 01:18 PM
What kind of wringing are you doing with your hair post shower? What I do is try to gently squeeze the water out down the length, and then to encourage volume at the roots, put my hair up in a towel (or t-shirt) to dry.

yeah, that's what I meant by wringing.

I put a terry cloth over my shoulders for a few minutes but I don't wrap my hair up in it. Plopping gives me nice curls but horribly flat crown.

I'll try combing with conditioner and then not combing again. I've been doing it right after I get out and it's not very snarly.

Madora
July 15th, 2012, 01:25 PM

^ ^ ^ Is the way to go! If you love your hair, no wringing, please!