PDA

View Full Version : I love matching hair toys to clothes and jewelry!

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I seem to get a thrill when my hair toys match up really great to my clothes and jewelry (and even shoes)! It really makes me happy. I don't feel like I HAVE to match everything, or try too hard, but I can't deny the satisfaction and put together feeling of having a perfect match.

Anyone else feel the same, want to share pictures and comment?

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 10:15 AM
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2825/dscf09211.jpg

Here is a really nice jewelry set I love. My GTS red heart fork matches perfectly.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6273/dscf09221.jpg

Anyone else have an awesome match to share?

Zesty
July 15th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I definitely appreciate it on others, but all my hair toys are neutral and go with everything without "matching" per se. I'll never be one of those people with a Ficcare in every color to match my shirt. ;) I love that fork with your jewelry/shirt color though, and the whole effect is very flattering on you!

pepperminttea
July 15th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I'm not heartbroken if things don't match or coordinate, but I like coordinating my earrings and hairtoys when I can. :) I love the red on you WD, with the lipstick too! That's dedication. :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9822&pictureid=126865

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9822&pictureid=130368

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9822&pictureid=126843

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks! And those are three beautiful sets, Peppermint tea! I usually don't shop for my hair toys to match my clothes, usually it's the other way around. Or sometimes it's an accident.

Recently, a coworker I really liked was about to move out of state. At our last staffing, I was not able to stop staring at her earrings, and I complimented her on them. I mentioned how I was going to find some like that because they perfectly matched my flexi-8. She took them off and just gave them to me to remember her by! I did not expect her to do that, she was so sweet.

ravenheather
July 15th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I was just thinking about this the other day. Wondering how many buy toys to match colors in wardrobe or what complements hair color. So far I'm buying neutrals that look good in my hair. Of course it would be different if I could afford way more hair toys.

pepperminttea
July 15th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks! And those are three beautiful sets, Peppermint tea! I usually don't shop for my hair toys to match my clothes, usually it's the other way around. Or sometimes it's an accident.

Recently, a coworker I really liked was about to move out of state. At our last staffing, I was not able to stop staring at her earrings, and I complimented her on them. I mentioned how I was going to find some like that because they perfectly matched my flexi-8. She took them off and just gave them to me to remember her by! I did not expect her to do that, she was so sweet.

Thank you! :flower: I love when things I buy separately end up matching. (With the exception of the windchimes, they were bought together.)

That was so kind of her, what a lovely memento. :)

Toiréasa
July 15th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I like to try and coordinate my hair toys, jewelery and my clothes I have Tendency to get a bit obsessive about it :D

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6052/7015143075_44c3aa38d8.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/57762200@N06/7015143075/)
Timberstone Mint & Turquoise (http://www.flickr.com/photos/57762200@N06/7015143075/) by pudlemom13 (http://www.flickr.com/people/57762200@N06/), on Flickr

Very nice sets WD & Pepperminttea.

Neneka
July 15th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I match them more with my mood. :p

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I was just thinking about this the other day. Wondering how many buy toys to match colors in wardrobe or what complements hair color. So far I'm buying neutrals that look good in my hair. Of course it would be different if I could afford way more hair toys.

I find lots of things match on accident after I have them, and it's like "OOOoh!" I frequent thrift shops where I can find a blouse or shirt for three dollars or so, and I sometimes shop with attention to a particular shade or color that really speaks to me, and may end up coordinating a whole outfit. Mostly as of late my clothes are basic pieces that allow my jewelry and hair toys to stand out.

I have been doing this with jewelry for a while, and now I've graduated to factoring in hair toys to the mix.

This sounds pretty vain and superficial, but it makes me feel good about how I can present myself appearance wise if I choose to. There are honestly many many times when I just don't care, and other things like comfort matter more.

Other times it's funny things like events I match to, like wearing a Nightblooming leaf curl hairstick to my son's junior naturalist meeting. Or wearing my PM arrow to go see the Hunger Games movie with my son.

I'm silly, but it's fun to me.

pepperminttea
July 15th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I like to try and coordinate my hair toys, jewelery and my clothes I have Tendency to get a bit obsessive about it :D

Very nice sets WD & Pepperminttea.

Thank you! :) I love your TT stick, I was admiring that over in the TT thread, the mint green really is lovely, I love it with those earrings.

Long_hair_bear
July 15th, 2012, 11:02 AM
lol well as all but like 10% of my clothes are purple, all but 10% of my hair toys are too! :D I love matching my toys to my clothes! :)

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Here is my first hair toy match that I actually considered ahead of time when purchasing the stick. This is a PM slime stick that I thought would match up to this jewelry set. It exceeded my expectations!

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6644/img1642f.jpg

Long_hair_bear
July 15th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Here is my first hair toy match that I actually considered ahead of time when purchasing the stick. This is a PM slime stick that I thought would match up to this jewelry set. It exceeded my expectations!

oooooooo VERY pretty! Love it! :D

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 11:17 AM
lol well as all but like 10% of my clothes are purple, all but 10% of my hair toys are too! :D I love matching my toys to my clothes! :)

I have to say, I knew you would match purple to purple. I would love to see how you would coordinate an outfit with beautiful shades of purple, topped off with your ON ax. Possible?

I am really not sure what to wear with my ON ax. Sometimes when I wear mine I feel a little silly.

Long_hair_bear
July 15th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Possible yes, but not right this minute. Noone is home to help in the picture taking process, and I have yet to master the art of self photography. :D I'll get some picstaken tonight though. :)

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Possible yes, but not right this minute. Noone is home to help in the picture taking process, and I have yet to master the art of self photography. :D I'll get some picstaken tonight though. :)
LOL! I didn't mean THIS MINUTE. How about this month? The ON ax seems to me a style match for an outfit, not just a color. Maybe I just like the dramatic.

Long_hair_bear
July 15th, 2012, 11:31 AM

LOL! I didn't mean THIS MINUTE. How about this month? The ON ax seems to me a style match for an outfit, not just a color. Maybe I just like the dramatic.

Oh, I'd wear my ON axe with anything, but I'm really into medieval, fantasy, and not caring much about what others think of my attire. I did buy a special shirt to go with it at the Celtic Fling festival though. :D

Demi-Plum
July 15th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I like matching (if I can). I think it makes an outfit complete. I also like to match hairstyles to my outfits. Like "this outfit would look best with an intricate up-do" or "this is casual enough to leave it down"

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 12:03 PM
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4686/img1913qw.jpg

Here are the earrings my coworker gave me because they matched my flexi8 so well!

Othala
July 15th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I don't feel comfortable unless everything I am wearing, including hair accessories, match...or I am wearing bright contrasting colours that clash with each other. It's an all or nothing approach, LOL.

Amber_Maiden
July 15th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I don't really care if it matches at all.

pepperminttea
July 15th, 2012, 12:15 PM
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4686/img1913qw.jpg

Here are the earrings my coworker gave me because they matched my flexi8 so well!

Wow, they really do match beautifully! Interesting backdrop too. :) Is that a mushroom?

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Thank you! Yes, it's this very cool looking mushroom that was at the bottom of an oak tree in our yard for about three weeks. Many of my hairtoys came out and posed for a little photo shoot on this fungi, LOL.

Keepitgrowing29
July 15th, 2012, 12:24 PM
I love all of your hair accessories pepperminttea! Just gorgeous! As for myself, I guess I do find myself coordinating my accessories with my outfits. I don't put much mind to it but its nice when it works out that way. I guess as long as your earrings match up with your hair accessories, you're good :)

sibiryachka
July 15th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I don't have many hairtoys that are a particular color - I go more for natural wood or metal - but I do make an effort to coordinate. No aluminum Quattro fork if I'm wearing gold jewelry, for example. And my "normal" jewelry is always coordinated to what I'm wearing!
I think of the What Not to Wear dictum: It doesn't have to match, it just has to "go".
DBF and I often differ about that, though; where I see interesting contrast, he sees clash. ;)

Toiréasa
July 15th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Thank you! :) I love your TT stick, I was admiring that over in the TT thread, the mint green really is lovely, I love it with those earrings.
Thank you,the earrings ended up being a lucky match my daughter gave me for my birthday.

Thank you! Yes, it's this very cool looking mushroom that was at the bottom of an oak tree in our yard for about three weeks. Many of my hairtoys came out and posed for a little photo shoot on this fungi, LOL.

That's to funny! :bluebiggr

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Thank you,the earrings ended up being a lucky match my daughter gave me for my birthday.

Amazing, and that stick is beautiful! Did you know right away it matched perfectly, or did it take you a while to notice it?

Ticky
July 15th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I don't care. If it matches it's fine, but I don't really do it on purpose.

dulce
July 15th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I like it matching or I feel like a xmas tree!

jacqueline101
July 15th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I don't try to match mine I might have to try it.

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I don't try to match mine I might have to try it.

It can be kind of fun and thrilling when it is just right. I don't like to spend too much money really trying though. That's when it's not as fun for me. It's more of a rush when I find a thrift shop shirt for a buck is a color that perfectly matches one of the shades of grain in my hair fork or something like that.

Of course style and mood can matter also when you are coordinating, not just color, as some members pointed out.

Toiréasa
July 15th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Amazing, and that stick is beautiful! Did you know right away it matched perfectly, or did it take you a while to notice it?

Thanks,no I had completely forgot about the earrings as they were in a place I keep my special earrings that I don't wear to often,when I went to get another pair out one day a light bulb went off it was a pleasant surprise :p

prettykitty
July 15th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I mostly wear the same boring outfit (stupid work uniform) so I'm kinda the opposite, I use my hair things to show a little colour and personality.

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 01:52 PM
That's the little "ding!" that seems to do it for me! And then when I wear the things together I just feel good, like it's meant to be. An illusion that all is right with the world.

I know that sounds pretty silly.

Shepherdess
July 15th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I really don't have many hair toys, only a few. But I do love to match my headscarves with my clothes and try out different ways of putting them on ( I have lots of headscarves). :p

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I really don't have many hair toys, only a few. But I do love to match my headscarves with my clothes and try out different ways of putting them on ( I have lots of headscarves). :p

That sounds really pretty!

Macaroni
July 15th, 2012, 02:40 PM
My earrings are always tiny gold hoops but my sticks match my outfit.

briles
July 15th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I've been making toppers for my hair sticks to match my earrings (also homemade.)

pepperminttea
July 15th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I love all of your hair accessories pepperminttea! Just gorgeous!

Thank you! :flower:

:lol: What a cool idea!

PolarCathy
July 15th, 2012, 03:02 PM
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2825/dscf09211.jpg

Here is a really nice jewelry set I love. My GTS red heart fork matches perfectly.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6273/dscf09221.jpg

Anyone else have an awesome match to share?

You look stunning!

Phalaenopsis
July 15th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I don't obsess about it too much, but I do love it when I can get everything to match ^^

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 03:08 PM
You look stunning!

You are very sweet, Cathy. I figured I would dare to show my face for once. Most of the time you are all looking at a mystical husky for my avatar.

Juanita
July 15th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I love it when they match. Or provide an interesting contrast. I love the combos everyone has been showing

dwell_in_safety
July 15th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I have my hair toys on a schedule of sorts... With a bit of deviation, I mostly rotate use. When they happen to match what I am wearing, I notice and am very happy. I keep them on a rotation because otherwise I would wear my favorite pieces too often and wear them out much more quickly. I want everything to last years, because good quality hair toys are expensive (for me).

Milui Elenath
July 15th, 2012, 07:15 PM
It absolutely has to match, . . . well mostly :). I am a matcher about a lot of things. I have a lot of plain wooden sticks though so they are fairly neutral and make it easier but if I'm wearing black it has to be the black wooden stick not the other brown ones. If I am going out it's more important to match but if I am just doing the housework/gardening and have on old clothes it will probably just be whatever hairstick I think will hold or I can find.

I do like to match my jewellery too and since I've recently made some sticks and had left over beads I intend on making a necklace or a bracelet that will match. (Earrings would be too much too close I think.)

HumanBean
July 15th, 2012, 08:37 PM
I find lots of things match on accident after I have them.

This. I don't intentionally buy any accessory to match it with something. I buy what I like or need and the stuff I like tends to have its compliment in the clothes I wear or the jewelry I already have. I like digging in my closet to Find an unexpected pairing.

But I do sometimes ache to wear a particular hair toy and will plan my outfit around it.

Shepherdess
July 15th, 2012, 10:18 PM
That sounds really pretty!

Thank you! I would like to learn more ways of doing it, and I would also like to find hair toys that would go along with my scarves. :p

Dragon Faery
July 16th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I prefer to match, go, or coordinate wIth color and/or theme. I'm not super OCD about it, but it's like a subconscious game. If I have to wear a certain outfit, the hair style and toy and other jewelry will revolve around that; same if I have to wear a certain hair style or want to wear a certain hair toy.

Example: it was hot out, so hair had to be up and all I had clean that was cool enough was a black shirt. So I wore the black sticks, which happen to have a little white floral design painted on them. Needed pins as well, so settled on the ones with (fake) white pearls on the heads. Voila.

I'll try to remember to do pictures. Great thread! :)

SnowGhost
July 16th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I'm usually totally rubbish with matching things (I never care about coordinating my clothes unless its a special occasion) but I always make an effort with what I put in my hair. Like if I have a red Tshirt on I make sure the band on my braid is red too. I don't know why this matters to me but it bugs me to death if I can't find the right colour!

Ishje
July 16th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I alway's wear matching clothes with matching hairtoy's, exept maybe on that rainy sunday when I don't have to go out of the house.
a good reason for me to buy a new hairtoy is a new dress, and of course the other way around ;)

Ayjay
July 17th, 2012, 07:22 AM
More often than not all I can find are my black elastics for my braid ends and if I want to do a nice bun (usually a nautilus) its always put up with one of my favourite crochet hooks because I can't find a smaller hair-stick.

SwordWomanRiona
July 17th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Nice thread :)!
I love matching and colour coordinated outfits! I'll be reading through the thread and I'll see if I have some pic to share :)

Wildcat Diva
July 17th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Nice thread :)!
I love matching and colour coordinated outfits! I'll be reading through the thread and I'll see if I have some pic to share :)

Thanks! I had been thinking about this idea for a while, and it wouldn't go away.

I would LOVE to see any pic! I have a match I think I'll go and photograph right now.

Wildcat Diva
July 17th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Well, here's a "match" of a different sort. I have also talked about matching events to hair toys. One poster mentioned matching mood.

My son is in a program where he is learning about nature sponsored by the fish and wildlife service. They learn nature photography, conservation, how to keep a nature journal.

In attending one of the meetings, I remembered to wear my leaf curl Nightblooming Stick. I felt in keeping with the theme, and this pleased me. What a small thing to make me happy.
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8819/dscf09281.jpg

Nightshade
July 17th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Without fail, my toys match my outfit and my jewelry. Often times I'll decide what hair toy I'm using, and then build the rest of the outfit around that. I've made several necklaces to match my sticks :oops:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4503&pictureid=62512

Wildcat Diva
July 17th, 2012, 08:04 AM
I do the same as you, Nightshade! (well, not the making jewelry/ hairsticks part; the matching clothes part) Most of my clothes are thrift shop pieces that are basic and allow my jewelry and hair toys to take center stage.

What a lovely set, and I ADORE ammonites!

Wildcat Diva
July 17th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I recently purchased a pair of thrift shop shoes in a nice tan color that I don't see a lot. When I got home, I realized that they matched a hair fork I had recently bought from WoodArtJewelry on ETSY. The wood is mulberry. This also coordinates with a jewelry set I had already too from a long time ago. The blue broomstick skirt and brown shirt are also thrift shop clothes I found along the way. The little bit darker brown shirt matches the variations in the brown stones in the necklace.
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8004/dscf09521.jpg

LaFlor
July 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I would love to do this if I actually had hairtoys. I only have one hairfork and one hairstick, and they are both nuetral :)

So beautiful though Wildcat Diva! Very Enabling.

Chromis
July 17th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Must to be matching! Always! Even with natural woods I will consider if a light, medium, or dark would look best. I do have a sizable collection by now, but I have everything where I can see it and this only takes a moment. I also coordinate eyeshadows.

I do find my Ficcares the most fun to coordinate of course:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8004/7569154806_7ef96fe899.jpg

Wildcat Diva
July 17th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Chromis.....Whoa! That's completely and totally awesome! What fun! Congratulations on your beautiful look. Now that's what I'm talking about. Divaworthy!

Wildcat Diva
July 17th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Very Enabling.

Let the enabling begin! I want to inspire some thrift store shopping also, since that's another passion of mine.

Henrietta
July 17th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I like it but it's not a rule for me everyday.

Chromis
July 17th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Chromis.....Whoa! That's completely and totally awesome! What fun! Congratulations on your beautiful look. Now that's what I'm talking about. Divaworthy!

Aw, thank you! That dress is just a cotton smocked one I bought at a street stall. Super cheap and super cool in hot weather, win!

Here a comparison for how different hair toys look with similar outfits:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8028/7407686150_82ec915fd2.jpg
In this one I kept the hair simple to go with the clean bold lines of the outfit. The gold matched my necklace and ring.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7118/7450990590_3d1057012d.jpg
Same skirt, now with long sleeves and tights on a cooler day. Went with something darker and echoed the flowers on the skirt at the same time.

Wildcat Diva
July 17th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Cute, Chromis! You have great taste! The bold colors are fantastic.

LaFlor
July 17th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Let the enabling begin! I want to inspire some thrift store shopping also, since that's another passion of mine.

Don't worry, I'm totally addicted to thrift stores already... it's my hobby, my passion, my downfall, my therapy :crush:

Of course, I'm all up for you enabling every one else... as long as they don't live in my city and get to the goods before I do :p

Wildcat Diva
July 17th, 2012, 03:06 PM
LOL! Hopefully people will stay away from your haunts, LaFlor.

I have learned that being a successful thrift shopper means going often, and somehow I just gravitate to the items seemingly perfect for me. Sometimes I come up empty (but not usually!)

The right items just seem to reveal themselves to me. Of course it helps that I have over 25 years of thrift shopping experience. Which makes for a pretty cluttered house if you don't watch out. Gotta cull, stuff comes in, stuff goes out. Most of us thrift shoppers are not too good at this, sadly.

LaFlor
July 17th, 2012, 03:24 PM
LOL! Hopefully people will stay away from your haunts, LaFlor.

I have learned that being a successful thrift shopper means going often, and somehow I just gravitate to the items seemingly perfect for me. Sometimes I come up empty (but not usually!)

The right items just seem to reveal themselves to me. Of course it helps that I have over 25 years of thrift shopping experience. Which makes for a pretty cluttered house if you don't watch out. Gotta cull, stuff comes in, stuff goes out. Most of us thrift shoppers are not too good at this, sadly.

When I first started, I found myself looking at every item in the store! I would go through all the racks of clothes and look at ever shirt, dress, skirt, pant, shoe, etc.

Now I am an expert skimmer! I just kind of walk through the isles and let stuff catch my eye. I still find lots of special things that way.

I just try to accept that if I didn't find it, it wasn't for me. But there is nothing like the pain of seeing something beautiful and perfect going out with someone else before you were able to get to it. :wail:

But I agree, it takes a lot of work to keep balance in the home when thrift store shopping. I try to keep my purchases to a minimum and regularly get rid of things. It's hard, but I think I'm managing now.

Ayjay
July 18th, 2012, 02:26 AM
I think I would be more likely to match my hair toys if I had more. I really want to wooden hair forks and things its just finding what I want and nowhere around here seems to sell them.

ravenheather
July 18th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I think I would be more likely to match my hair toys if I had more. I really want to wooden hair forks and things its just finding what I want and nowhere around here seems to sell them.

That's what etsy.com is for.

Wildcat Diva
July 18th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Yeah baby.

Chromis
July 18th, 2012, 09:57 AM

Most of us have to buy things online to get a good selection. Etsy is a great place as mentioned above and you can get lots of ideas stalking the hair toy threads. In the US you can buy Ficcares at Nordstrom's and sometimes I've found things at market booths too. E-Bay is a possibility too, though be careful when looking at really cheap things on either Ebay or Etsy since sometimes they are not finished well. I would go with a maker that you see mentioned around here a lot the first few times until you know better what to look for.

Venefica
July 18th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I like to match hair toys with jewelry and outfit but it is not a must, I have a tendency to start my day by choosing what hair sticks I will use and then build the rest of the outfit around that.

JamieLeigh
August 5th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I love to match things up! I don't feel like I have to, but I enjoy it. I like to look for cheap sets of earrings on Etsy to match my hairtoys. There are always several sets that are under $5 in every colour on any given day. :D

Lostsoule77
August 5th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I'm very much a matchy matchy kinda girl. With that being said most of my jewelry & hair toys are pretty neutral so that it is never really a problem. The most I tend to have to do is match the style and not worry about the colors. I do have a few green hair sticks though & I tend to wear them when I'm wearing green, purple, or all neutral colors. My jewelry tends to be silver, clear sparkly, or black. I have some green & some blue and those of course go with green, blue, or neutral clothing and hair toys. I'll post a picture if I get one.

BTW, I love this thread and think all the picture you guys have posted are really great! :D

digginit
August 6th, 2012, 07:14 PM
For me it is just a hair tie but I like them to be the same color as my tshirt usually

elbow chic
August 6th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I only have two that are visible. One charcoal pair of sticks and one green fork.

If i am wearing black or green i wear the matching accessory and is IS pretty oddly satisfying. (When I bought the sticks I was wearing a lot of black, which I have really gotten away from lately...)

I would like some forks in blue and a med. pink... Right now I am wearing a lot of blues and pinks, and neither black nor green looks right with them. So then I either use hairpins, or just blithely ignore my uncoordinated look. ;)

Wildcat Diva
August 6th, 2012, 07:55 PM
The "oddly satisfying" part is totally what I feel. Elbow chic, that is a total excuse to shop more. Surely you deserve to feel "oddly satisfied" by awesome matching more often! *shameless enable*

elbow chic
August 6th, 2012, 08:16 PM
The "oddly satisfying" part is totally what I feel. Elbow chic, that is a total excuse to shop more. Surely you deserve to feel "oddly satisfied" by awesome matching more often! *shameless enable*
:face: Too right! My ILs did just give me 75 bucks for my birthday. :D

Witherwood
August 6th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I love to do this, especially with red. I love doing a red scrunchy in a bun, and a rose with a red shirt. I absolutely adore the way it looks.

Wildcat Diva
January 14th, 2015, 07:45 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img537/3605/Wm4HhY.jpg

ravenheather
January 14th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Love it Diva.

Wildcat Diva
January 14th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Thanks, RavenHeather! That's the jacket I bought that day that you guessed where I was and it turned out I was destressing/ thrifting. Well really it's a shirt but I have to wear it as a jacket.

Majorane
January 14th, 2015, 11:32 PM
Hello, my name is Majorane, and I'm a hairtoy-matcher.
Welcome to hairtoy matchers anon, Majorane!

I have a ring with a screwyball thingy on it, and I can buy different screwystones for in the ring. About 20 dollars per stone. Soooo, if I have a hair stick I particulairly like I HAVE to have a screwyball that matches. They are too small to properly photograph, sadly, but trust me on this. I normally never wear blue, but I have quite a few blue hirtoys to match my navy work uniform (because I NEED!). In that regard, the Changethebeads project was a lifesafer. I like to wear really small changetebead sticks and wear a big topper that matches my outfit. Purple and white checkered retro dress? Purple and white daffodil stick! Black, old-fashined dolled up for a funeral outfit? Black celluloid comb! I now have a turquoise belt, several bracelets, a screwyball ring and a gazillion (3) earrings to match my much beloved EADS in turquoise flake....

Should we do a challenge? Like, 'match your hairstick today!' and then show picturs to each other of our awesome matchiness?

Wildcat Diva
January 15th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Well, hell yes we should.

Groovy Granny
August 15th, 2015, 10:28 PM
I LOVE to match hair toys with my clothes and jewelry.
In fact all my hair toy purchases are bought with outfits in mind....and then I go to ETSY to find unique earrings to match.
When I look at my earring tree, basket of hair forks and drawer filled with clips,ties, barrettes etc, it makes me smile....and brings me such joy.
It all represents my hair journey the past 2 years,is so much fun learning new styles, and has become a hobby to coordinate an outfit with a hairstyle and matching accessories.
Now mind you I don't go out often....Church is the weekly event I dress for....oh, and food shopping.
But even getting groceries afforded me the opportunity to chat with an older woman who had gorgeous long hair (Classic).
Coincidentally.... she was looking for unique hair toys, and so I was happy to share our arsenal of shops with her (to her delight) :)

Gamma Vector
August 16th, 2015, 12:47 AM
I don't have enough of a collection to really match my hairtoy to my outfit, but I try to make sure it at least goes.
For instance, I'm not going to wear a crystal encrusted french twist comb with torn jeans and a nirvana tee.

NGL, though. I really like it when stuff matches.

dogzdinner
August 16th, 2015, 03:18 AM
TBH Im lucky if I can find a pair of socks that match, jewelery and hair toys might be abit beyond me!

missblueeyes
August 16th, 2015, 05:07 AM
Well, what can I say... I wear colourful Flexi8's an forks with a currently all-black wardrobe. Not very matchy-matchy at all. :lol:

woodswanderer
August 16th, 2015, 05:36 AM
I try to match or at least not clash, but I only have purple, green, and blue to work with. Luckily my wardrobe has a lot of purple, green, and blue.

amino
August 16th, 2015, 06:28 AM
I'm currently looking at purchasing two eads from the swap board that would match quite a few of my outfits.

... but that's for when I actually finish writing this book.

Mimha
August 16th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Thank you for bumping this thread, amino !^^

I am part of the crazy ones who fall in love with a Ficcare color and buy it just because I love the color and then realize that I have nothing to wear accordingly, ha ha ha ! :D So it happens that I buy some clothes AFTERWARDS... to match the hairtoy ! Lol. I'm presently trying to find something to match my beautiful large Lotus Opal Ficcare... :silly:

And I have ordered a marbled caramel one, knowing that 1) this color doesn't match my skin tone at all (I have a yellowish skin, and orange is not particularly flattering on me), and 2) I have nothing really matching neither in my clothes nor in my jewels (which I don't wear a lot of them anyway)... :silly: :silly:

yogagirl
August 16th, 2015, 07:18 AM
What an awesome thread to bump :thumbsup:

I don't like to match per se (same color hair toy as my shirt), but I do like to coordinate somewhat (matching color or style). I will try to remember to take pictures for this thread!

oh and I LOVED the pictures everyone has posted so far! Keep em coming! :)

Arctic
August 16th, 2015, 08:17 AM
I voted "I don't care at all" but wanted to clarify a bit, because it does sound a bit strict.

First of all I don't have lot of hair accessories ("toys"), I am not a collector type or "hair toy type" at all. I love minimalism when it comes to putting my hair up (and in many other aspects of my life as well). This means I will ever only have handful of "toys" to begin with, and I am content with that.

Secondly, in general I don't like to dress in matchy-matchy fashion. I don't like the idea of making sure my hair accessories would match my clothes. (With this I am thinking aout having tons of different colours of clothes and hair stuff and buying shirt to match a particular accessory or vice versa.)

Thirdly, as a minimalism-driven person, my wardrobe has quite strick colour scheme to begin with, and I love keeping within this scheme. A big percentage of my clothes are black, and of metals I almost exclusively wear silver colour. As a minimalist I would choose my toys to go with my existing colour scheme, so there would be natural woods, black and silver mostly. Now this might sound opposite of what I stated earlier, that I hate matchy-matchy outfits. But to me it isn't. I love my colour scheme and I rarely wear bright colours (red is an exeption, it's part of my colour sceme). But even if my hair accessories would be of bright pops of colour I most definitely would not match them on my clothes, but I would have chosen complimentary colours to begin with, so in a way (almost) everything would go together easily.

Fourthly, if I would buy several new hair accessories right now, I would try to choose ones that would give me most bang for the buck. This would mean sticking to my colour sceme, mostly choosing neutrals (black, silver, natural wood). I would steer away from too memorable accessories, because I am looking for workhorses, not something that sticks out like a sore thumb and thus makes it less wearable. I might buy something in colour too, like wine red, dark blue, shades of purple, forest green... but these colours would be ones that go with my colour scheme and that I know I would get lot of usage out of.

So, when I voted I don't care, it's not completely true. I do care that my toys fit into my existing, limited colour scheme and that one piece can be worn with many many outfits. What I do not care to is buying lot of colours and matching hair stuff with clothes. What I don't care is to have a big collection of hair accessories in the colours of rainbow. What I most certainly do not care about is to by a same hair accessory in many different colours. To me it looks like the same old same old. Changing just the colour variable is not enough for me (very visual person) to make the accessory look different enough to justify of buying same item in different colours. I never do that with my clothes either. I rather have few completely different looking pieces that go with as many outfits and hair styles as possible.

Wildcat Diva
August 16th, 2015, 09:22 AM
What an awesome thread to bump :thumbsup:

I don't like to match per se (same color hair toy as my shirt), but I do like to coordinate somewhat (matching color or style). I will try to remember to take pictures for this thread!

oh and I LOVED the pictures everyone has posted so far! Keep em coming! :)
Ok!
http://imageshack.us/a/img538/3389/Hy01A6.jpg

DollyDagger
August 16th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Im really new to hair-toys and can only do half up or peacock updo at this point but id say that rather than "matching" i think id like to co-ordinate look, feel, and style. For example i have a flexi-8 dreamcatcher that i think looks nice with casual outfit like jeans or something of that nature imo.
A contrasting and unexpected pop of color can be dramatic or punch up a neutral outfit.

TaterTot
August 16th, 2015, 10:01 AM
I wear all black and my hair toys are all black :)
I wouldn't be opposed to something gold, though!

amino
August 16th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Thank you for bumping this thread, amino !^^

Thank Groovy Granny! I just found it early this morning. :)

Just realized that I have an uber color-coordinated outfit. :D

So this skirt has been with me everywhere. It's a wrap-around skirt that doubles as a dress... could probably be just a shirt if it was shorter, etc. I wore it every day for a year or so and so now it's very soft and snuggly. :love: BUT! Then I went searching through a drawer and found some rainbow yarn that's been in the house for 12 years waiting for me to finish a scarf. Well, I'm never going to finish the scarf, but I did make myself a paranda.

The outfit:
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z365/aminosan/Hair/IMG_2361_zpsm2zc7wd9.jpg (http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/aminosan/media/Hair/IMG_2361_zpsm2zc7wd9.jpg.html)

The paranda up close (with some awesome Ketylos. I don't have sticks to match the outfit—yet—but the pink and black work well).

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z365/aminosan/Hair/IMG_2358_zpswsphjpnc.jpg (http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/aminosan/media/Hair/IMG_2358_zpswsphjpnc.jpg.html)

butter52
August 16th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Nice thread! Didnt know about it.

I love matching stuff in the oldfashioned way but with lots of shiny colours.

Also wildcat diva, love that look you posted years ago (love minerals in jewlry) and lady, you are hottttt!

Mimha
August 17th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Wildcat Diva, you are definitely a diva !! Every pic of yours is more stunning than the previous one ! That acidic green looks amazing in your warm dark brown hair... and with that shirt the same color !... :thumbsup:

TaterTot, I have just ordered a large black Lotus Ficcare to wear with some black men-style shirts I love. It is deep shiny black, with an elegant golden lotus design on it. Just perfect with my black clothes any day, or for some funerals or any other solemn ceremony I may have to attend.

lapushka
August 17th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I voted everything but the first option. :lol: I have neutral accessories. Basic Quattros. Some nicely decorated 2-prongs. Basic Flexi8s with celtic knot centerpieces mostly. Only my Ficcares are a little bright, but still. I still wouldn't care what outfit I was wearing. All I wear is a colorful shirt, jeans, and a gray hoodie (almost always gray). So it pretty much matches on its own. :D

Wildcat Diva
August 17th, 2015, 07:07 PM
Butter52 you-a-make-a me blush!!!

And you too Mimha. This forum is good for my self-esteem.

I love all the pictures from everyone too. Willowyn has one I want her to post on here.

Kelli Kat
August 21st, 2015, 04:48 PM
And my nails too

cadencesday
August 22nd, 2015, 11:54 PM
I'll have to buy more toys to match my scrubs for work.

restless
August 23rd, 2015, 05:11 AM
I do enjoy matching outfit and hair toys indeed :) Or well, I try matching them somewhat at least and wouldnt go with things that clash completely. What I like is wearing things like an Ead abalone stick together with a pair of blue jeans, or one of my fancy Quattro forks if Im more dressed up. If I really cant come up with a good clothes/hair toy- match or Im being lazy, I just wear an Ead copper haze, as its the same colour as my hair and blends perfectly :D

embee
August 23rd, 2015, 06:01 AM
Most of my hair toys match my hair, but I do have a few that are more decorative and make an effort to match them with clothing or jewelry. Green snake, silver swirl, stick with gold bead on the end, pearly-white acrylic - evrything else is brown/black.

alexis917
August 23rd, 2015, 01:44 PM
I don't have any hairtoys yet! But I don't like an excessively matched look. If anything, I think I'd like to wear a bright hair toy as a "statement piece" (I generally wear neutrals/black)!

parkmikii
August 23rd, 2015, 02:16 PM
I don't match my hair clips or such with my clothes but I try to make them compliment my hair colour, as I'm a henna head, most of my hair combs and such are green or blue toned :)

gyhaslan
August 24th, 2015, 11:12 AM
It's great to see everyone's combinations :-)
I'm so getting into matching my hair toys and clothes:
http://i.imgur.com/vepcac6l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oLOXXI6l.jpg?2 there are maroon blobs in there, I swear!
http://i.imgur.com/EDz4zWGl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KsW199ml.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AwwHqxpl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ks538n3l.jpg?1

Wildcat Diva
August 24th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Wow, that looks great! It's good fun, isn't it?

gyhaslan
August 25th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Thanks, Wildcat Diva! It is fun, hehe

Caramel corn, meow
http://i.imgur.com/AQJsKAOm.jpg

enting
September 5th, 2015, 05:37 PM
I'm like Shepherdess, I don't have many hair toys yet, but I do have a lot of scarves that I am intensely matchy matchy about with my outfits. I recently bought my first "real" hairstick that matches a particular outfit I have. As a result I have been wearing that outfit a lot, because I want to wear the hairstick!