PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help :(

PurpleLauren
July 15th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Hello :)

So Ive been growing my hair since November [2011] But only recently been doing it 'properly' I get it trimmed every 10-12 weeks or so depending on the state of the ends. I use deep treatments, leave in conditioners and everything exactly how you are meant to, but it still get split ends easily -.- I dont use any heat on my hair AT ALL. I dont colour it anymore either. I do wear it up but I have to for work. What can I do? What works for you, to help it grow nice and healthy but also at a good rate. I also take vitamins [for my general health aswel] and I only wash it every three days. My hair is curly and about ap line.

ps. Im also not expecting it to sprout out over night Im just wondering what I can do.

woolyleprechaun
July 15th, 2012, 05:57 AM
You might want to try wearing it up more often to protect it, braiding it/wearing a cap at night, oiling.....Theres alot of good advice here!
You mention that you dont colour anymore...When did you stop? It may be that your ends are damaged from previous treatments. Even if you dyed or bleached a couple of years ago, you ends may still show the results of that.
Hope you find everything you are looking for here :)

blaketob
July 15th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Split ends are tricky.. some people's hair are just more prone to split ends than other. I agree with try wearing your hair in a braid at night or something to protect your ends. I don't know how long you have been doing deep treatments but after some time that should help as well. Deep treatments have worked wonders from my hair (prevents damage at the ends, prevented my hair from growing different lengths). I don't get split ends often so I can't tell you advice from experience but keep doing what your doing and over time it may help.

Madora
July 15th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Split ends are usually due to either lack of moisture or mechanical damage from rough handling.

You might want to investigate catnip rinses to combat splits:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

Also, mineral oil (also known as baby oil) is great for helping keep moisture in the hair longer:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

For the best results, clarify your hair first with a clarifying shampoo (Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo has received good reviews here).

This clarifying shampoo removes all the buildup on your strands.

After you've rinsed out the Neutrogena, towel your hair gently until it it just damp.

Put a few drops (not more than 3 or 4) into a small dish, then take a Q-tip and apply it to the MO.

Then brush the oil laden Q-tip all over your palms and fingers.

Run your hands through your hair several times until most of the sheen from the oil has vanished.

Note: The mineral oil should be as basic as possible for it to work best: mineral oil plus fragrance.

Johnson and Johnson makes a baby oil that fills the bill perfectly.

Mineral oil is very lightweight and leaves your hair shiny, soft and feeling great. It is also a wonderful detangler.

You can also use a drop or two on your ends to help protect them.

And speaking of protecting your ends, you might want to look into getting a silk or satin pillowcase cover to protect your hair at night.

Good luck!

pepperminttea
July 15th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Seeing as you mentioned your hair's curly, have you considered the Curly Girl method (http://thecurlyhairproblems.tumblr.com/cgmethod)? :)

swearnsue
July 15th, 2012, 08:03 AM
In addition to all the good advice above I'd like to add that brushing too much or the wrong way can cause splits. Madora has posted the details of proper hair brushing on this forum several times, I wish I could link it for you but not sure how to do it or find it. Stop brushing your hair until you've read her recommendations and that will help. And some splits are normal too, so it may not be that you are doing anything wrong.

meteor
July 15th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I absolutely agree on what others mentioned: gentlest handling, moisture (mineral oil), etc.

PurpleLauren, what kinds of brushes and combs are you using?

I have old bleach damage and while my highlighted hair breaks and gets splits much more easily than the virgin hair, I am getting very few new split ends since I started using only a wooden wide-tooth comb and threw away my brushes. Since you are a curly, brushing is likely to be damaging.
Also target specifically the hair with old damage the most when you are oiling or applying leave-ins.

Madora
July 15th, 2012, 10:13 AM
PurpleLauren, since you are a curly, then your hair would best be served by using a wide tooth comb to keep it well groomed.

Be sure, however, to detangle first before putting comb to hair. You might want to finger comb first to separate the hair, then gently detangle, working from the ends of the hair and up the strand, a little at a time, until you reach the scalp. Do it in small sections and go slowly. Curly hair, because of its structure, is much more fragile than straight hair.

Good luck!

brave
July 15th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Additionally many curlies NEVER comb unless their hair is wet and soaked in conditioner, and even then they may only finger comb to maintain the clumping that protects their ends.

PurpleLauren
July 15th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Seeing as you mentioned your hair's curly, have you considered the Curly Girl method (http://thecurlyhairproblems.tumblr.com/cgmethod)? :)
I will give this a go :] thanks :]

PurpleLauren
July 15th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I absolutely agree on what others mentioned: gentlest handling, moisture (mineral oil), etc.

PurpleLauren, what kinds of brushes and combs are you using?

I have old bleach damage and while my highlighted hair breaks and gets splits much more easily than the virgin hair, I am getting very few new split ends since I started using only a wooden wide-tooth comb and threw away my brushes. Since you are a curly, brushing is likely to be damaging.
Also target specifically the hair with old damage the most when you are oiling or applying leave-ins.
I use a plastic wide tooth comb, and a boar bristle brush but only for about six or so weeks have I been using the bristle one. :]