PDA

View Full Version : Hennahead seeking advice!

Nellon
July 15th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Hi everyone! I have put henna in my hair, and even though I love it, still the colour does not suit my complexion. I was hoping for some more deep red colour. What am I to do now?

My alternatives vary between trying to put indigo mixed with henna in it, or go buy some manic panic in a good colour and mix it into my hair. I am feeling quite confused and well, I wanted you guys input. Am so sad straight henna doesn't work for me...

My skin colour is coolish I think. With pink undertones, but not extremely much. I look good in pink, red, orange, brown, yellow, blue, green... I do look very good in gold and cream coloured mocca kinda colours, so I suppose I am cool toned with some warm in my complexion??? My own hair colour is blonde, and my skin is quite white, although I do tan a little when in the sun. Could you offer me some advice on this? :) Thanks!

I have also been thinking to just let the henna grow out, and do some henndigo glosses to keep my hair light, but one part of me wants dark red hair! And I also look good in dark hair, and even black hair, so I'm thinking as a last resort if all else fails I could always just go black :) I really like dark hair colours on me, more than blonde.

Oh and I know there has probably been lots of thread on this, but I figure one more can't hurt anyone? ;)

Of the Fae
July 15th, 2012, 04:15 AM
I think it belongs in the henna and herbal haircare subforum :)
But I will advise you, being a hennahead for quite some time now.
I'd try multiple applications, because the colour darkens and deepens whenever you try this. More red, less orange.
Indigo would possibly make it a cooler colour, maybe more brown but I am not experiences with this myself.
Manic panic is also an option, however it does wash out.
I'd go for multiple applications of henna :) And remember: after three days the colour will have oxidized into a darker colour already!

jojo
July 15th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I wouldn't recommend indigo if you get bored of hair colours quickly, indigo for me was by far the worst ever colour to remove, on some people it doesn't last very long on others it stays a long time. You won't know which category you fall into until you try! I was so lucky that after numerous treatments and experiments I got rid of it, but it was a tedious and expensive road!
I know this goes totally against LHC beliefs but go down the semi dye route, if you don't like it there's so many kind to hair removers on the market but do bear in mind although it's perfectly safe to dye over BAQ henna, the henna will always shine through unless you 100% remove it.

Nellon
July 15th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Of The Fae: Ok, I'll try that! I was afraid of going too dark with the henna, but since the bright orange just doesn't feel right, I'll go for it I think! I guess I could always experiment with manic panic or indigo if I still don't like it. Maybe go for all deep dark henna first and then try other options. Sounds good to me :) Thank you for answering!! And btw, your hair is awesome! I love your deep dark red colour in some pictures :)

Nellon
July 15th, 2012, 05:07 AM
I wouldn't recommend indigo if you get bored of hair colours quickly, indigo for me was by far the worst ever colour to remove, on some people it doesn't last very long on others it stays a long time. You won't know which category you fall into until you try! I was so lucky that after numerous treatments and experiments I got rid of it, but it was a tedious and expensive road!
I know this goes totally against LHC beliefs but go down the semi dye route, if you don't like it there's so many kind to hair removers on the market but do bear in mind although it's perfectly safe to dye over BAQ henna, the henna will always shine through unless you 100% remove it.

Ok, I'll consider that point of view as well. Thank you so much for answering! :) But I already have henna in my hair, might as well go for indigo as well, no? I mean, I won't cut all of my hair off, and actually dark red-brown is a favourite colour :) I bleached my hair a year ago, and I WILL NOT do that again. Ever. I'd rather just find a colour I like and stick with it for some time, eventually fade it out a bit if I get bored. What do you think?

IMO I'd rather have long healthy reddish brown hair, than bleached damaged short blonde hair :)

Mesmerise
July 15th, 2012, 06:26 AM
My hair has darkened A LOT since I've done multiple henna applications (it's really not the colour in my avatar anymore... it's a much darker red), so you can always try just doing a few repeat applications and see what happens!

Nellon
July 15th, 2012, 06:41 AM
OK, I decided I will put more henna in my hair, see if I like it. If not, I'll try to put a henndigo gloss with just a little indigo on and try to get a reddish slightly brown cool kinda colour. Then over time I could always lessen the amount of henna and indigo and slowly fade it out if I want to go lighter, IF that is a big if there :) Do you think it sounds like a good idea?

Alvrodul
July 15th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I agree that if you want a cool red, you can put more henna on yur head. My hair is a burgundy-like color in most lights, though it still flares with fiery intensity in the sunlight. Have a look in my albums to see the color! :) FWIW, I started out with dishwater blonde hair.

To get to saturation quickly, I recommend that you het hold of a high dye-content henna and do an overnight application. And if your scalp tends to get dry, I would also suggest that you apply the henna over heavily oiled hair1 I have done so the last couple of times, and very successfully, too! :D

Nellon
July 15th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I agree that if you want a cool red, you can put more henna on yur head. My hair is a burgundy-like color in most lights, though it still flares with fiery intensity in the sunlight. Have a look in my albums to see the color! :) FWIW, I started out with dishwater blonde hair.

To get to saturation quickly, I recommend that you het hold of a high dye-content henna and do an overnight application. And if your scalp tends to get dry, I would also suggest that you apply the henna over heavily oiled hair1 I have done so the last couple of times, and very successfully, too! :D

Ok, thanks! Which kind of henna do you use to get that wonderful red you have?? Always nice to hear from other blondes using henna and getting dark tones! How do you find that dark henna goes with your skin?

I have mostly used a kind of Rajasthani henna, I noticed it gave a more red colour than the other kind (VLCC) I also used. My plan is to stock up on Rajasthani henna and do multiple applications once I am back in Nepal, if I don't go for indigo before that :)

RachelRose
December 26th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Old thread but I will post as well as I search the forums all the time :) I use rajstashani twilight from mehandi . I mix it with simply orange juice and Pinot in an airtight container for 10-12 hours then out it in a piping bag and freeze it . I then thaw it while adding more oj and apply it . It has given me a rich beautiful dark red burgundy color. I am also cool toned . I've tried a few other hennas and methods and got very orange hair :/