PDA

View Full Version : Do your braid ends do stuff like this??

sweetestpoison
July 14th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hello all! I love the look of a sleek braid but hate the way my hair does on the ends.. This is an example of the unruliness with which i have to deal T.T

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7247/7572419294_d58afaeab9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63128997@N06/7572419294/)
Photo on 7-14-12 at 11.44 PM (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63128997@N06/7572419294/) by tatfreak15 (http://www.flickr.com/people/63128997@N06/), on Flickr

And before anybody says anything about damage, my ends aren't damaged they are frazzled right now from being in a braid all day and from a long hike in the woods. Anybody else's braid ends do this? Got any advice? I've tried using oil to sleek 'em down but that doesn't work and i hate the idea of taking a flat iron to my ends or hairspray :(

spirals
July 14th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Do you comb/brush before you braid? If so, you've simply disrupted the curl pattern. Don't oil the tassels; mist with water and finger-smooth. Your curls should resettle the right way.

sun-kissed
July 14th, 2012, 10:57 PM
That's interesting. It must be a curly problem, my straight hair creates a sleek, pointed tassel on the ends of my braids...
Have you tried wetting the ends after you braid? Perhaps the process of braiding causes your hair to get fluffy as you handle the hair. I would think that getting it wet would help the tassel part to... well... re-curl.

meishkamooshka
July 14th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I agree with the previous posters! Typically re-wetting the ends helps smooth it out. Though, I kind of like your ends....they have spunk and are so cute! ^.^

IvanaGil
July 14th, 2012, 11:05 PM
This happens to me occasionally. I hate it so much because they get into terrible knots. I usually just twist my ends with my finger and ignore them

ariesfairies
July 15th, 2012, 01:06 AM
My go like that too! Yes, I see it happen more after brushing out my curls. I don't even bother with putting water or oil to the ends, I just run my fingers over the "tassel" until it all unites :) Curls can be as unruly as foreign nations sometimes, I swear! XD

sweetestpoison
July 15th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Do you comb/brush before you braid? If so, you've simply disrupted the curl pattern. Don't oil the tassels; mist with water and finger-smooth. Your curls should resettle the right way.

Thanks for the advice, i have tried this before and it doesn't do any good because once wet it goes to an even more unruly setting XD

My go like that too! Yes, I see it happen more after brushing out my curls. I don't even bother with putting water or oil to the ends, I just run my fingers over the "tassel" until it all unites :) Curls can be as unruly as foreign nations sometimes, I swear! XD

Yeah, i think what happens is i sleep with my hair in a braid, and it dries like that so it gets used to being in a unified curl. If i do a braid from a high ponytail, that's when these braid ends happen. If i do twin braids down like two french braids i'll usually have twin curls going in the same direction for ends, and when it's put on the top of my head it puts the original way it set out of whack so you get stuff like the one pictured where 2 sides were used to going one way and stay that way but end up aligned differently so they face a different direction than the others. maybe i should stop letting my hair dry in a braid at night? Idk it's frustrating though! Yeah they are like foreign nations XD that's why i wear my hair up most of the time.

briles
July 15th, 2012, 03:58 PM
My husband was a long haired curly and he always kept it in a braid. He says that his braid ends were like popcorn kernels; unique and never the same twice.

sweetestpoison
July 15th, 2012, 03:59 PM
My husband was a long haired curly and he always kept it in a braid. He says that his braid ends were like popcorn kernels; unique and never the same twice.

I love that, such an awesome way to put it!

ladonna
July 15th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Yes this happens to me also, my hair doesn't like to be braided.

Amber_Maiden
July 15th, 2012, 04:06 PM
My hair does that as well!!

CurlyCap
July 15th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Yep.

You have to break the curl to be able to braid, and so the ends are going to fly in every direction. I actually thought it was the norm when I was little until I met kids with stick straight hair.

My only trick is to braid straight to the very end, the very very end, and then bury the end under a pretty elastic or bauble. Other than that (assuming your hair isn't straightened), you can wrap the ends around your finger to make the curl in the same direction. It might take some rewetting or product. Still not the straight tassel of the 1s and 2s though.

You can't win. If don't break the curl, your braid looks wonky. If you do break the curl, your tassel looks wonky.