PDA

View Full Version : Curlies, my DH needs your help!

holothuroidea
July 14th, 2012, 09:59 PM
My DH has 3b-M hair and he needs some help with product recs.

He's not exactly a longhair, but he's grown his curls out to a mini-fro. He's tried a couple things since his hair has been longer but he can't seem to find a balance between getting rid of grease and getting rid of frizz.

He's tried stretching washes and CO, he complained about feeling greasy with both. He works every day and can't exactly put his hair up or under a hat so I don't think he'd be able to get through a transition-phase into less washing.

Right now he uses what I use, which is very heavily diluted shampoo and conditioner without cones or protein. His hair is too frizzy and he want's to try something else.

Can anyone recommend something for him to help get rid of frizz without feeling like "a grease-ball"?

anime_length
July 14th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I say if he's really greasy, shampoo, condition and use a serum or oil to seal the curl. If you're in New Jersey, where it's humid [especially now] maybe even a little mouse or something. I have curly hair and lived in NJ for a long time, you need a little extra help with frizz in humidity.

spirals
July 14th, 2012, 10:18 PM
It's humid where I live. I shampoo, condition, and scrunch in a wet look gel before wrapping in a towel. There are a couple I can think of off-hand. I have LA Looks in right now. It has glycerin and castor oil, as does one of their other formulas (whatever one is lime green). It will totally dry stiff, but you can "scrunch out the crunch." I have no frizz and my hair is actually shiny. It doesn't shine on it's own.

holothuroidea
July 14th, 2012, 10:22 PM
My DD has a lot of frizz and I use a serum I made for her from AVG and camillia oil that works really well for her.

My DH refuses to try it. He actually refuses to put anything with oil in his hair. I don't know how to convince him.

Are there any hair-friendly serums on the market that have oils in them disguised as something high-tech? :laugh:

I've looked but all the frizz serums I could find were basically bottled dimethicone. I'm not really against cones but I know that they build up and I feel like all the washing with harsh shampoo to get rid of them would not help the frizz problem.

holothuroidea
July 14th, 2012, 10:25 PM
It's humid where I live. I shampoo, condition, and scrunch in a wet look gel before wrapping in a towel. There are a couple I can think of off-hand. I have LA Looks in right now. It has glycerin and castor oil, as does one of their other formulas (whatever one is lime green). It will totally dry stiff, but you can "scrunch out the crunch." I have no frizz and my hair is actually shiny. It doesn't shine on it's own.

Thank you! I'll have him give that one a look over.

moxamoll
July 14th, 2012, 10:28 PM
The Consort has been growing out his curls passed buzz cut too. I bought him a copy of the Curly Girl book and he's really getting into it! It's super dry here - he's been doing CO with Kiss My Face everyday conditioner and then he scrunches in plain Aloe Vera while it damp. It keeps his curls defined and no more frizz. dunno if that helps or not. :lol:

Maelyssa
July 17th, 2012, 08:28 PM
My son is growing out his curls...well for the moment he is at least lol....and using a dime size amount of cone free regular conditioner as a leave in works wonders for him.

manderly
July 17th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I just picked up some kinky curly custard from Target to finally try after hearing it being raved about here by almost every curly that's tried it....I see no oils in the ingredients. :)

holothuroidea
July 17th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Oooo!! Thank you everyone!

I'm going to be in the hair aisle of target for a while. I better have some snack crackers ready for the little ones. :D :D

holothuroidea
July 20th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Just an update, after urging my DH to try oils again to no avail, I got him the Kinky-Curly Curling Custard and it is working fantastic! It also works nicely for my DD whose hair is 2c, and I've even been using it to keep my flyaway halo down.

Also it smells like dessert.

Thank you everyone again for your input!!!