PDA

View Full Version : Style fail

sahiba
August 4th, 2008, 03:48 AM
I am dying to learn celtic knot but everytime I try on myself I fail miserably. :-( . What about you guys? Ever failed in any style?

Curlsgirl
August 4th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I fail way more often than I succeed! I am hopeless and still wear the same old styles every day, Figure 8s mostly or plain/French braids. One thing is that I just really don't have much patience to keep at it. If it's not simple then I don't want to put that much effort into it.

podo
August 4th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Almost everyone fails the first few times they try a style. The more complicated the style is, the more practice it takes!

Hang in there. See if you can find a step by step tutorial or someone who's done it before - you might get pictures and/or advice.

Speedbump
August 4th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Yes. Almost all of them. :lol: I finally had to make up my own that fit my updotarded personality, and I stick with it almost exclusively.

anna1850
August 4th, 2008, 09:10 AM
I've never managed a French braid without having any little pieces stick out. I have enough problems with regular braids. To be fair, I haven't tried it very often as I know I'm likely to fail with it so I might be able to do it properly eventually but I've stopped trying.

I think I've managed most styles that I've tried though. There are a few though that my hair's not long enough for so I've failed when I try them now but might get easier eventually.

Aisha25
August 4th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I fail in every updo so I just stop trying. So until I cant get hair sticks I have to go with braid all the time.

Katze
August 4th, 2008, 10:19 AM
yes, many/most of them!

I can't do buns that look good at ALL - my hair is still too short and thin (!). Half-ponytail-half-buns, or any kind of those casually-messy, 'I just threw my hair up', peacock twist kind of 'dos look terrible on me - I can only do them every 4th or 5th try, and then only when I am not trying.

My ends are bleached, and much thinner and lighter in color than my crown hair and some of my length, so many updos call attention to this

Recently I tried a hairdo that MaskedRose suggested - braids running down the sides of the head from the temples, then a braided bun. I had an important meeting that day and wanted to look 'polished.' The braids were OK, at least for an hour or so until they got fuzzy, but the tiny little braided knob at the back of my head looked pathetic, messy, and like an afterthought. Not a good hair day.

So I wear my hair down, or in a half-up, or in a 'pulled back, twisted somehow, held-with-a-Ficcare' 'do, or (when I can be bothered) in braids pinned up. It's boring, but I think I have to wait for more length/thickness before I can do anything else successfully...that, or somehow grow magic hands and hair that doesn't get greasy from being practiced on!

Kiraela
August 4th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Yep. Anything involving knots. French twists in all their variations. my attempts at knots always turn into a single, giant mat that takes an hour of combing. French twists... I have an album called Updo Failures full of attempts at this. 'nough said?

Bene
August 4th, 2008, 11:57 AM
my hair isn't long enough for the intricate styles, so anything beyond a cinnabun is a style fail for me :(

OR Cowgirl
August 4th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Sometimes it's a matter of finding the right set of instructions. I failed repeatedly at the Celtic Knot until I found LeaM07's blog! That pictorial worked for me! Just keep trying and using different people's instructions. You will find one that clicks for you!

Mariah

Cinnamon Hair
August 4th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I have a video demonstration (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og3VfxAf-jA)of the celtic knot, that may be helpful.

There are at least a few styles I try and fail at too, not to mention what a disaster I am at braiding.

Calanthe
August 4th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Uh, yes, constantly.
If I'm not too thick to understand the instructions properly I certainly don't have enough hands or something like that. It takes ages to get a new style right for me. Most of the time I try new things while watching tv - sounds strange but I found out that it works much better when I'm not concentrating on what my hands and fingers are doing. Unfortunately, sometimes I don't know what I did, so I can't put up my hair again in the same style.

I don't have to try anything with braids, at least not on my head. I. cannot. do. braids. I've learned to live with it, but still I'm thinking fondly of the time when mum and grandma did my hair when I was a child/teenager.

Elenna
August 4th, 2008, 10:55 PM
My ends are bleached, and much thinner and lighter in color than my crown hair and some of my length, so many updos call attention to this

Same here, except my ends are brassy red which does not look good as an updo.

Katahdin
August 4th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Hah, I fail a pretty much everything. I was happy when I managed a decent braid.

I think all it needs is practice. I've gotten my hair stick to work consistently now, but it looks different every time. It's a good thing "messy" updos are in style. Hopefully, I'll learn another by fall, and then I'll have all of two updos to show off at school =D

Elenna
August 4th, 2008, 10:57 PM
There are at least a few styles I try and fail at too, not to mention what a disaster I am at braiding.

Your hair is beautiful anyway.

HappyEeyore
August 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Yup, me too. I have yet to get the celtic knot, and also a few others I have tried.

OR Cowgirl, great idea about reading many instructions from different people. (BTW, your bun on your avatar is beeyooteefull!!)

Calanthe, don't give up! I remember practicing and practicing as a teen to learn how to french braid my own hair (and we did NOT have u-tube back then! :D) I had 2 mirrors positioned so I had a good view of the back of my head, and I kept an open book handy for the times I had to rest my aching arms but did not want to let go of my hair, so I just leaned over (on the toilet seat - I was in the bathroom!) and read my book until my arms rested. :rolling: It is making me laugh just thinking about it!

BTW, practicing while watching tv sounds like a great idea. Actually, come to think of it, I have done this too! Now if you could only get 2 mirrors positioned nearby...

Cinnamon Hair, thanks so much for posting the link to your video instructions! I did a search right after watching yours to see if watching a few other people do will help me to 'get it' and I think it did! Woo hoo!

Here's a link to another one I watched called Keltischer Knoten (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POe9Bs5yNGE&NR=1)

Also, I just wanted to add that hairdos can look very cool when they are two toned, for you ladies with different colored ends...

Thanks for all the great ideas, gals!

willowcandra
August 5th, 2008, 01:07 AM
There are tons of buns that I just don't get the instructions too.
The gibralter, tiffanie knot, celtic knot. etc etc. If I could work them out I could do them but believe me I have watch so many tutorials and am just not getting it. I am not so upset though, I can do enough.

Kayleena
August 7th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hi, everyone! :bluesmile Have I ever failed in any style? Oh, yes, many, many times & with almost every style I’ve tried, too. However, I can be very, very persistent, especially when I’m determined and when it seems I can eventually learn the challenge. I still can't French braid at all, but two styles that took me at least five years to learn are the quiff (pouf) & the 2-strand rope braid. Now that I can do them, each one takes me only 5-10 minutes. On the quiff, though, I have to use both a 2-balled ponytail holder & a medium-sized claw clip; sometimes I wonder if people think that looks strange, but that’s the only way I can do the style & it looks great in the front. Also, on the 2-strand rope braid, I have to ponytail it first, but again, that’s the only way I can do it. Still, both styles are awesome progress for me, & I’m so glad I can do them at all! :joy: Practice, persistence, determination, & thinking outside the box are keys. Things can be learned; just keep on trying! Hope that helps and encourages; happy hairstyling to all! -- **Lady Kayleena Victoria of the Performance Stage in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights**

LeaM07
August 7th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Sometimes it's a matter of finding the right set of instructions. I failed repeatedly at the Celtic Knot until I found LeaM07's blog! That pictorial worked for me! Just keep trying and using different people's instructions. You will find one that clicks for you!

MariahOh wow, I just saw this... so glad it helped! :)

I added a link to Cinnamon Hair's video, also. It's very helpful to watch someone actually do the thing you're trying to accomplish. How you hold your hair, where you position the stick, and so on. I don't twist much when I do the KL knot, but I can kinda see how that could work after watching CH's video. I need to try it again myself. :)

Heh, and not only do I mess up new styles I'm trying to learn, I mess up daily staples... easy ones I should know cold. It's too far to one side, it has a piece sticking out, it's too tight, it's too loose, it breaks a hairstick, you know how it goes... so frustrating!!

Calanthe
August 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Calanthe, don't give up! I remember practicing and practicing as a teen to learn how to french braid my own hair (and we did NOT have u-tube back then! :D) I had 2 mirrors positioned so I had a good view of the back of my head, and I kept an open book handy for the times I had to rest my aching arms but did not want to let go of my hair, so I just leaned over (on the toilet seat - I was in the bathroom!) and read my book until my arms rested. :rolling: It is making me laugh just thinking about it!

Now, that's an idea. One I better try out when I'm alone...;). I did manage a lace braid the other day (while watching tv, of course) but still it looked odd because it was too far down my forehead and try as I might, I can't get it further down my head. Doh!

kwaniesiam
August 8th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I fail at french twists and rope braids. Never could do them and still probably won't be able to when I get more length.

Laululintu
August 8th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I nearly always fail at french twists.

ladyshannonanne
September 27th, 2008, 01:27 PM
No. My hair always looks perfect and I've never even had a bad hair day.

Ahem.

I am a liar. It took me four tries to do pig tails this morning. Pig tails, I tell you.

RoseRedDead
September 27th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hahaha, ladyshannonanne.

I kinda fair at french twists. It's just kinda "make-a-pocket-and-shove-the-hair-under."

celebestel
September 27th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Um . . . pretty much every elaborate braided style. I can't reach the ends of my hair well enough to keep things tidy and organized and I give up. And . . . I can do nice bun styles, but they all give me terrible headaches within an hour, so that's its own variety of fail.

It's very sad, especially since I'm getting married in a month and a day, will be doing my own hair, and I basically can't manage anything fancy. :( Oh, well.

gallows_gallery
September 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Braiding!!!! I cannot do it on myself, or on other people. I can get the first few strands in at the forehead, but then the rest just becomes a messy, loose disaster until I give up.

I always watch in awe at girls who sit and just braid their own hair without a hairbrush, mirror and 5000 tries to get it right!

mira-chan
September 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I can't do proper rope braids. I know the instructions. I can theoretically to them but they never come out well. The twisting coordination (twist strands one way and wrap them the other) and me just don't get along. My hands cannot do that. Especially behind my head. I have problems with most styled that require twisting though learn them through sheer stubbornness.

Katahdin
September 27th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Ahh, I fail at just about EVERY single style.

The only one's I've been able to do well enough to go out in public with them are a plain braid, a Chinese bun, and braided bun-ish thing I made up and a hair stick twisty thing.

NeilTheFuzz
September 27th, 2008, 02:15 PM
The reason I keep styles relatively "stock" is because I fail when I try all the time. And (ironically considering) I am very impatient as far as my hair is concerned. I have literally tied my hair in knots. I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Neil

Vitalai
September 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I can't do the lace braid (http://http://dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/lace.htm). :( Whenever I try braiding across the top of my head, I find my hands in awkward positions and they start getting sore from being held up too long.

Nat242
September 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I have the uncanny knack of being able to do a hairstyle *once* and never being able to do it again. The french twist, the nautilus bun, and the flipped cinnabun are frustrating once-offs for me.

rubyredslippers
September 27th, 2008, 06:00 PM
There's plenty that I fail in. Inifinity buns for one--they never work for me, with one side really tiny. And then there're the rest that I plain do not have enough length for.

atlantaz3
September 27th, 2008, 08:26 PM
here's a link to another one I watched called Keltischer Knoten

spot on about watching different videos or instructions! I have been failing at a celtic knot - thinking my hair too thick and not long enough yet to accomplish. This video doesn't show the hair being completely pulled through the knot. I just tried in and stuck a hair stick in to hold and accomplished my first celtic knot! yeah thanks
Sorry this doesn't help the original poster - yes I fail at many updos - infinity bun, rose bun (sigh) my sock buns don't look that great either.
When I was trying to learn a french braid, I practiced every night before going to bed for a few months until I got it what I shall call public viewing acceptable! Just practice and like other said look at different instructions - there must be a least five different ways to make a french twist that I have seen!

AprilElf
September 28th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Plenty of failures here, when I'm learning a new style!

My style failures at the moment are: crown braid (done once, can't replicate), Gibson tuck (I don't know how to get it nice and pouffy), and the French twist or log roll.

Diamondbell
September 28th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Same here - just not able to do the Crown Braid (it looks so interesting) and the French Twist. I would so love to learn these two styles. :(

Periwinkle
September 28th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I can do all sorts of fancy things, but two braids defeats me. English, French, Dutch...it can't be done, I tell you!

Longlove
September 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I wonder if one can buy a cheap long-haired wig to practice new styles on? Is there such a thing as a cheap wig? (never bought one before).

I hate to think of the damage I've incurred while trying to master new styles.