PDA

View Full Version : This girl claims this method will make your hair grow 3-4 inches in a week - what?!

Pandora.
July 14th, 2012, 11:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxmZntIuQ_o&feature=g-vrec

^^^ I stumbled across this girl's video about how she's found a hair care method that made her hair grow super fast in a week. I am feeling skeptical, but at the same time I'm kind of willing to try this out.

Nae
July 14th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Okay, oil treatments are all well and good but if you want to wash your hair daily I would be very sure that I wasn't using any kind of clarifying shampoo. That could be unreasonably damaging in the long run.

I would say that any promises of super fast hair growth should be looked at with a healthy dose of suspicion. The real key is patience and treating your hair nicely.

sun-kissed
July 14th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I've seen her video before, and was disappointed by the lack of a "before" photo... :confused:

I believe that hot oil can be very good for growth, since it is basically applying heat to the scalp, which is known to stimulate growth. But three to four inches is crazy talk in my mind. Even if she somehow got those results herself, I wouldn't hold my breath on my own head.

I haven't tried it simply because I'm skeptical of any magic growth enhancer, and with my recent shedding trouble with CO, putting oil on my scalp doesn't sound appealing.

Madora
July 14th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I don't believe it either. There's more to making your hair grow than applying hot oil to it.

Washing everyday is way too much hair manipulation!

Amber_Maiden
July 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM
It definitely won't work. That is impossible.

maborosi
July 14th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Doubtful. I mean, a lot of people here oil every day and don't get that kind of growth.

She probably mis-measured.

~maborosi~

torrilin
July 14th, 2012, 11:40 AM
There are folks here who do prewash oilings, including with olive oil. They don't report similar growth after a similar routine in large numbers.

OTOH, every month or two, some LHC member has a sudden growth spurt in the 2-4" range. Some people just have hair that will grow in spurts. They'll generally report it as 2" or 4" in a month, but that's because LHCers tend to measure monthly or less. It's unusual, but not unheard of by any means. Most of the time, the folks that report these spurts do not have wildly unusual growth rates in reality. It's not "I grow 3" every month!" it's "I grew 3" in March, and had a stall for April, May and most of the summer :("

There is no such thing as a way to dramatically increase your hair growth.

And speaking as someone who grows relatively fast... It takes a good deal of practice to get used to a new length. If I let my hair grow full speed ahead, I end up growing way faster than I can manage to learn to deal with it. Then I chop it off, usually far more than necessary. It's much better for me to trim judiciously and wind up with a more average net growth.

jojo
July 14th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Smells of bulls poo to me!

Pandora.
July 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I couldn't help but think "what a bunch of crap" as I watched her video and read the FAQ. I just don't get it either.

jeanniet
July 14th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Oiling alone can't make your hair magically grow faster, and shampooing constantly like that is more likely to cause problems than not. Everyone is looking for that hair growth miracle, and I know what it is! *whispers* Waiting for it to grow! Please send me $10. :D

Bwahaha...I just read her FAQs, and she says she's never done it for more than a week--so how does she know it works consistently (I mean, if you buy it in the first place)? :rolleyes:

jeanniet
July 14th, 2012, 12:56 PM
And speaking as someone who grows relatively fast... It takes a good deal of practice to get used to a new length. If I let my hair grow full speed ahead, I end up growing way faster than I can manage to learn to deal with it. Then I chop it off, usually far more than necessary. It's much better for me to trim judiciously and wind up with a more average net growth.

This is really very true. 3" of growth is enough to throw everything off--buns don't work as well, you have to modify things, etc. If your hair grows at a normal rate, you ease into all that, but it would drive you crazy if you had to make those kinds of adjustments every week! And where's the fun and passion in instant anything? You think you want everything right now, but once you have it, you've lost all that exquisite yearning and anticipation. So enjoy the journey, because sooner or later, all journeys end, and then you're in a whole new phase.

Shiranshoku
July 14th, 2012, 01:15 PM
This is really very true. 3" of growth is enough to throw everything off--buns don't work as well, you have to modify things, etc. If your hair grows at a normal rate, you ease into all that, but it would drive you crazy if you had to make those kinds of adjustments every week! And where's the fun and passion in instant anything? You think you want everything right now, but once you have it, you've lost all that exquisite yearning and anticipation. So enjoy the journey, because sooner or later, all journeys end, and then you're in a whole new phase.

Wisdom, you spread it. :bowtome:

shutterpillar
July 14th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I don't know... I don't think she has a clue as to what she is talking about. And it is very likely she measured wrong, if she even measured at all. She could be going by a photo where she is holding her head differently, or looking in the mirror and holding her head at a different angle so it looks longer.

I wash every day, but I would never ever wash everyday with a clarifying shampoo (that's what she is using, right?). That sounds like it would be really damaging.

jeanniet
July 14th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Wisdom, you spread it. :bowtome:
Yoda, I am.
:luke:

millyaulait
July 14th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I think it's probably also just a ~miracle advertisement~ of sorts to get her more views & subscribers too. :)

pink.sara
July 14th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I dislike this video.

jillosity
July 14th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I've read through this thread but I won't click the link or watch the video, it just sounds like someone trying to get views for her channel. Anybody can say anything about anything on the internet and SWEAR THAT IT WORKED!!!

Seriously, if it were that easy wouldn't most LHC people have hair dragging 3 feet behind them on the floor by now?

leslissocool
July 14th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Well... I kinda tried that (minus the oil). I went from regular working out to doing upside down yoga poses once a day and upped my protein intake. My growth was amazing in 30 days, Here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6166&pictureid=103812) the result.

So I really do think there is something about the upside down head for 4 minutes. I did a lot of poses like camel and massaged my scalp upside down. It's really not the oil, but the blood flow. My hair would hate being washed that much without conditioner!

I know a girl who brushed her hair upside down every day rubbing the scalp. Her hair grew like a weed. She ate a lot of protein too though.

torrilin
July 14th, 2012, 02:43 PM

Yip! I can theoretically grow as fast as 3" in 3 months. And since I might measure as often as twice a year, my growth might be a bit spurty, so sometimes it might be more like 3" in two months... Dunno. Too much work, and measuring involves having my hair down. Ew. I grow my hair because I like it up and out of my way.

It generally takes me around 6-12 months to really get comfy with a new length. I hit waist around this time last year, and I did about 3-4 trims over the last year to maintain. It's only over the last 6 months or so that I've really felt like my hair is comfortable again.

I'm probably a bit towards the extreme end of being slow learning updos and for having fast growth...

jeanniet
July 14th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with making suggestions for healthier hair--that's what we do here, after all. Oiling your hair? Fine. Scalp massages? Great. Using a clarifying shampoo daily? Not so good, IMO, but I suppose some wouldn't find it harmful. Telling people that they will get 3-4 inches of growth in a week using a special method? That's BS, and it's preying on people who just want a miracle.

As far as doing research (as suggested in the comments to any detractors), I would love to see the research and science that backs up this method. Posting links to studies in the FAQs would be nice. It's always interesting to do some reading as to the science (real or imagined) behind anything like this.

Pandora.
July 14th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I think it's probably also just a ~miracle advertisement~ of sorts to get her more views & subscribers too. :)

Yeah true!

vindo
July 14th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Not. biologically. possible :rolleyes:
Her scalp would be bleeding at this pace...

prettykitty
July 14th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Patience is free.

Kleine Mädchen
July 14th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Well... I kinda tried that (minus the oil). I went from regular working out to doing upside down yoga poses once a day and upped my protein intake. My growth was amazing in 30 days, Here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6166&pictureid=103812) the result.

So I really do think there is something about the upside down head for 4 minutes. I did a lot of poses like camel and massaged my scalp upside down. It's really not the oil, but the blood flow. My hair would hate being washed that much without conditioner!

I know a girl who brushed her hair upside down every day rubbing the scalp. Her hair grew like a weed. She ate a lot of protein too though.

I can't view the pic but I agree that it must have something to do with massaging the scalp+being upside-down for 4 min. I don't, however, think she got 3-4inches of growth, but maybe a little more growth than usual. I'l probably try brushing my hair upside-down though!

Miss Catrina
July 14th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I really hate it when people make youtube babbles in which they distractedly babble because they think it's funny...

Oiling and being upside down both seem like legit tips, but 3-4 inches would be a miracle.

Also, this gem in the FAQ:

"Q: Can I use conditioner?
A: I don't recommend it, but if you have to, don't apply it to your scalp/roots."

What.

Vani1902
July 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM
The sad part is that people actually believe her. Look at the comment section. Why don't people question these sorts of things? They just accept this bull. I don't understand. Some people are so gullible. I don't have a youtube account (personal reasons), I can't make comments. Can someone please set her straight? lol

MrsGuther
July 14th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Smells of bulls poo to me!

Hehe I second that! :eyebrows:

jacqueline101
July 14th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I used vo5 hot oil treatments for five weeks I didn't get that kind of growth.

ariesfairies
July 14th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Rubbbiiisshhhhhhhhhh.

Tell the girls all about oil treatments and fancy doo-da-days they've never heard before and you got yourself a following of believers. No before photo? Either total con-artist for pageviews or insane! You can get paid for pageviews now. Let everyone keep coming back for her video to argue with her or share her some love. Moving on!

LadyGunn
July 14th, 2012, 08:21 PM
We had a thread on this video on another forum, and she actually joined to tell us we were being mean and that we hadn't done research like she had. We were also cowards for not telling her she was wrong on her youtube page. So, I kindly tried to correct a few misconceptions in her youtube comments section. She was polite, but she tossed all my advice out of the window while telling me that conditioner-only washing "creates" oil. She also deleted a lot of other comments that disagreed with her. Meh. I say let her wallow, she'll eventually figure out that it's not really working. Whether or not she'll own up to it is another matter.

McFearless
July 14th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Increased blood flow to the scalp is a great tip I agree with her, but daily shampoo is not good and the estimated inches I think are impossible for one week.

4C4rly4
July 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I saw that video about a month ago. I really don't believe you can grow 3-4 inches a week, especially just by oiling and tipping your head upside-down. She must have measured her hair wrong or something.

Silken
July 14th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Isn't delusion wonderful? LOL...
Growth happens UNDER the scalp, it's about genetics, environmental conditions, nutrition, general health and blood flow.
And btw, if she heated up that little bit of oil in a nuker for 30 secs, it should be boiling.
She handles the cup with bare hands and rubs the stuff in her scalp?
I call BS.

cwarren
July 14th, 2012, 10:10 PM
It's a combination of her measuring her hair wrong and a growth spurt. People can get 2" in a month. It's normal to get 1" one month and only .5" the next and maybe 2.2" the month after that. But 2"-3" CONSISTENTLY? No. She probably did notice her hair growing longer than usual one month and mis-measured it thinking that it was a few inches in a single week.

pepperminttea
July 15th, 2012, 01:53 AM
We had a thread on this video on another forum, and she actually joined to tell us we were being mean and that we hadn't done research like she had. We were also cowards for not telling her she was wrong on her youtube page. So, I kindly tried to correct a few misconceptions in her youtube comments section. She was polite, but she tossed all my advice out of the window while telling me that conditioner-only washing "creates" oil. She also deleted a lot of other comments that disagreed with her. Meh. I say let her wallow, she'll eventually figure out that it's not really working. Whether or not she'll own up to it is another matter.

Ditto. If you took the clarifying shampoo out of the equation, and used a gentler method like CO, it wouldn't be a bad routine. Still not a miracle, but it wouldn't be particularly harmful to hair health either if you had to wash your hair everyday anyway (which given she's a teenager, she might).

But she hardly took the suggestion well. :p I figure she'll deal with the effects on her own hair later, but I do feel sorry for the folk who are actually listening to her, at their cost, especially as she's mentioning that you can do this long-term with no ill effects. :disgust:

And as many others have mentioned; anything that reports huge short-term growth like this if you "just do a, b, c" - or worse, if you buy a, b, c - always sends up red flags. :bs:

meteor
July 15th, 2012, 09:48 AM
It's obvious that the girl didn't do any serious research, but let's give the kid a break. She did get the basic factors right:
- massaging, stimulating hair follicles every day;
- oils (olive, coconut, even though I don't understand her dissing vegetable and canola oils specifically)
- blood flow due to upside down position.

The only problems I have with her comments is the daily washing (I say, only if you need to remove the dirt/grease) and that she claims that this gives 3-4 inches per week. It might happen but it can't last.
When I first started oiling my scalp, I did experience mega-fast growth for less than a month and then it normalized.

ravenreed
July 15th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Patience? What is that? :p

Patience is free.

Loviatar
July 16th, 2012, 07:59 AM
How to get longer hair within one week:

Start on Monday
Do anything you like, but don't cut your hair.
By Sunday your hair will be longer.

OMG this product called 'Time' is incredible. And it's wholly natural. ;)

ETA: one of the things she is suggesting people use is rosemary oil. Er, rosemary oil is an essential oil, and putting tablespoons of hot rosemary EO on the scalp is not going to be a good idea, surely.

MintChocChip
July 16th, 2012, 08:10 AM
How to get longer hair within one week:

Start on Monday
Do anything you like, but don't cut your hair.
By Sunday your hair will be longer.

OMG this product called 'Time' is incredible. And it's wholly natural. ;)

Ha! Yes! :D

I'm not a fan of this video I have to say! But, like others have said, she has got a few things right at least!

Pandora.
July 16th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Also, this gem in the FAQ:

"Q: Can I use conditioner?
A: I don't recommend it, but if you have to, don't apply it to your scalp/roots."

What.

Oh I missed that one! Hahahaha.

I don't get some people.

DarkCurls
July 16th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I don't know why she recommends not using conditioner. :confused: I just don't get it.

What baffles me is that all the comments on that vid except for one, maybe, are: "Will it still work if I do this instead of that?" No one is even doubting that it works in the first place. Even before I found LHC I'm sure I would have realised it was implausible...

Pandora.
July 16th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Just to clarify, I really wanted to try it just to see what would actually happen to my hair because oiling and massaging is all good and well for hair and I love trying out different methods different people use. Re-reading my original post it kinda sounds like I'm believing her bullsh*t lol.

Even if I believed this girl I would still use conditioner, I dread to think what state my hair would be in if I washed it daily with NO conditioner *cringe*

Debra83
July 16th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Well, since seeing this thread yesterday, I decided I don't have anything to lose (except hair) in giving the upside down thing a shot! I can oil everyday for a week (I have so much oil in the house now, I could give Esso a run for their money!!), I already wash everyday (or close), but can make a point of it for a week, and see what happens! I started yesterday - so, I'll try to stay faithful with it and report back.

Unfortunately, I'm a sprinter, so I start off gun-ho but then peater out. Oh well, we'll see.

LuXious
July 16th, 2012, 11:49 PM
You think you want everything right now, but once you have it, you've lost all that exquisite yearning and anticipation.

Must be why I keep chopping mine off. I'm addicted to that longing.