PDA

View Full Version : What have I done??!

sarelis
July 14th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I have been colouring my hair with Directions dark tulip for a while now, and though I love the colour it was annoying me that I could still see some henna orange peeking through especially on the crown area. So I had the bright idea of buying some Directions plum to mix in with it, just to darken it a little & help counteract the orange. I strand tested first with undiluted plum, to get an idea of how dark & cool it is, the answer being VERY dark & VERY blue toned. My partner saw the strand & hated it, but I reassured him that I was going to mix it. I made a 75-25 mix of dark tulip & plum, looked ok in the pot so slapped it on my hair.Now it's on my head OMG it looks pure Cadburys purple!!!! I sure hope it doesn't look like this after I wash it out & dry it......:eek:

DragonLady
July 14th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I dunno.... But if it really is that purple, I'm tempted to try it!

Seriously, if you still aren't happy once it's washed and dried, call the company and ask them what to do next.

sarelis
July 14th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love purple, but my OH will freak!! Lol depending on the final result I may have a whole unopened tub of plum for sale or trade......

jojo
July 14th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Colour b4 or decolour available from the online boots store will get rid of all of this for you. Cadbury's purple is my favorite colour!

pink.sara
July 14th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't worry too much. Directions plum looks much more blue in the pot and on your head than the final result.I would expect you to be quite Burgundy/purple with that Mix though!
At least it's only Directions so some shampoo washing or worst case scenario a vitamin C soak will help.

Amber_Maiden
July 14th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Don't worry so much. Wait till you wash it out!

Toadstool
July 14th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Sounds awesome, but if you don't like it, you can apparently put Head and Shoulders shampoo on dry hair, leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash it out, and that is supposed to remove colour.

sarelis
July 14th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't worry too much. Directions plum looks much more blue in the pot and on your head than the final result.I would expect you to be quite Burgundy/purple with that Mix though!
At least it's only Directions so some shampoo washing or worst case scenario a vitamin C soak will help.

Phew, you got it about right Pink Sara! Although it is noticeably more Cadburys at the roots ( how much of this is emphasised by scalp staining though I'm not sure! ) & OH hasn't said anything yet! There is certainly no henna orange peeking through now, it's all a dark morello cherry colour, looks almost black indoors but shines very purple in the sun :) Sorry for the panic attack ladies!

kam.pearson
July 14th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Hair dye always looks scarier while its on, it won't be as bright after you rinse. Remember it will fade after a few washes too!

blondie9912
July 14th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Your update makes it sound like an awesome colour!! Enjoy it :)

red-again
July 15th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Post pics!, post pics!
The good thing with directions plum is that it is blue toned. The blue will counteract the orange red of henna very well. Sounds lovely!

furnival
July 15th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Sounds lovely! ;)
One thing I've found is that the red pigment in Directions is much more long-lasting than the blue, so any purply colours fade pretty quickly to reddish anyway.

sarelis
July 15th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Sounds lovely! ;)
One thing I've found is that the red pigment in Directions is much more long-lasting than the blue, so any purply colours fade pretty quickly to reddish anyway.

That's good to know, although I like the colour I think it's a little too cool toned for me & it's very dark at the moment - I spent all last summer stripping out permanent black dye so I don't want it too dark! I think I will like it more after a couple of washes when the blue calms down a bit, but yes, it has definately beat the henna orange into submission! :)

furnival
July 15th, 2012, 03:34 AM
C'mon, pictures! :D

sarelis
July 15th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Lol I'm lying in bed wired up to a tens machine at the moment!! I'll take some pics later - incredibly we may have some sun today so will try to get some outdoors pics :)

furnival
July 15th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Oh no, doesn't sound good! Is it still your shoulder? Hope you're better soon. Those TENS machines are brilliant, aren't they? A mate of mine stuck the pads all round his face and turned it up, 'twas hilarious ;)
Look forward to the pics :)

sarelis
July 15th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Yep, still my damned shoulder :( The tens machine is amazing, I was taking so many strong painkillers & was still in pain, since I have been using this I can cut down drastically on the pills I take. Thanks for the well wishes :)