PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with styles

sunflower_daze
July 14th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I can't seem to most hairstyles without them falling out. A ponytail and a twist with a claw clip is pretty much it. My hair is fine and thin, just about bra strap, and layered. I know things take practice, but I'd hoped to have something different by now. For my hair to use a hair fork is a two or three prong better? And what is 'dummy proof' for pulling back just the sides?
Thanks!

jacqueline101
July 14th, 2012, 06:37 AM
I like the metal barrettes for pulling back the top and some of the sides they hold for me real well. You might try the metal barrettes.

ariesfairies
July 14th, 2012, 07:45 AM
And what is 'dummy proof' for pulling back just the sides?

Have you tried one of these? http://www.fashionaddict.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/300x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/h/shiny-matte-beads-elastic-hair-comb-light-teal-1.jpg

They're elastic doubled hair combs. I don't know what they're called universally but I've heard them called as "Hair Magic" or just descriptively, "beaded elastic hair combs". They claim to be good for thin haired people, and obviously length isnt an issue considering the application for them. My hair isn't fine, but it's pretty thin and the elastic helps.

Anyway, layers can be annoying especially with slippery hair! Have you tried a sock bun?

bunzfan
July 14th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I can't seem to most hairstyles without them falling out. A ponytail and a twist with a claw clip is pretty much it. My hair is fine and thin, just about bra strap, and layered. I know things take practice, but I'd hoped to have something different by now. For my hair to use a hair fork is a two or three prong better? And what is 'dummy proof' for pulling back just the sides?
Thanks!
I started out with hair like that and i lived in the split bun for months have a look at this you can use sticks/forks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyuEIkHJ9o

torrilin
July 14th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by pulling back the sides. Got pictures? They don't have to be of you, just any style where you like the look.

As far as updos... Fine, slippery hair is a pain :). I'm still learning new tricks for trapping my hair and keeping it from running away. The tools I depend on most are mini claw clips, say about 1/2" long, Goody spin pins, and Scunci's u shaped plastic pins. Since I'm a ii thickness, and you're listing yourself as a i, you *might* find mini spin pins work better. Might because with fine hair, you want your updo kind of "sewn" onto your head, with whatever tool you use collecting both updo hair and scalp hair as many times as you can manage. Since mini spin pins are shorter, they can't necessarily distribute out the weight of your hairstyle as well.

At your length, buns should be doable. The plain old "cinnamon" or "ballerina" bun anchored with 2-4 mini jaw clips is pretty easy. Hypnotica has fine and straight hair and has a bunch of useful updo videos. Around your length, I particularly liked her Artemis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBjLxJF1zIc&list=UUM1QoYYnH_XwQCeWUQthsVA&index=6&feature=plcp) bun. The Hypno bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFeNYl-OK6Q&list=UUM1QoYYnH_XwQCeWUQthsVA&index=10&feature=plcp) is pretty similar. A lot of folks like the lazy wrap/nautilus/pencil bun family too, but I find they don't hold as well for me as other stuff. If I'm doing a wrapped sort of bun I like knot buns better and there's a whole thread worth in the Hair Ideas and projects forum. Hypnotica's hair is pretty similar to mine for thickness, so don't beat yourself up if your buns come out smaller. It means you'll be able to do more intricate stuff sooner than I can!

The other things I depend on are braids. Lace, French and Dutch braids work well to trap layers, and it's harder for hair to escape from twin braids than from a single braid. And there's scads of ways to pin up twin braids if you feel like they're too little-girl looking on their own. Casey's Romantic Braided Updo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HKWx47RD20) and Gertie's Heidi braids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ljaYb7i6iw&list=UUICE2hIBxcNlFJSs945JiFQ&index=5&feature=plcp) tutorial are good. And Loepsie's 4 spring styles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv6PaKIx01U) video also uses twin braids. While Casey and Gertie both have pretty thick hair, the styles they show look really pretty and intricate on finer hair. They're both more into retro style than long hair too, so they use hairspray even when it's not needed :). You don't have to if you don't want to. Loepsie has thinner hair, and gives a better preview of how your hair might look.

Shiranshoku
July 14th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Battle gave me the idea, but I think that it might work on your hair too:

Make a french braind, tuck it in and use two hairsticks to secure them in place. Holds like a rock, and it should accommodate for your layers.

sunflower_daze
July 15th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Thank you ladies!
I've roamed around, but not being familiar with style names I didn't know what to look for. Some of the hair toys are so beautiful I can't wait to get some. My layers aren't staying with the program so a lot of the trouble is from that.

JesusFreak88
July 15th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I have fine slippery hair as well. The day of and the day after a shower I have a hard time with updos. After that they are easier. I can usually get a style to stay with just a hair stick. I don't know if hair forks are any better but U pins work for me.

heidi w.
July 15th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Have you tried one of these? http://www.fashionaddict.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/300x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/h/shiny-matte-beads-elastic-hair-comb-light-teal-1.jpg

They're elastic doubled hair combs. I don't know what they're called universally but I've heard them called as "Hair Magic" or just descriptively, "beaded elastic hair combs". They claim to be good for thin haired people, and obviously length isnt an issue considering the application for them. My hair isn't fine, but it's pretty thin and the elastic helps.

Anyway, layers can be annoying especially with slippery hair! Have you tried a sock bun?

These devices don't hold a huge amount of hair, so they are somewhat limited. Mine continually sprang out, but I have a lot of hair.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 15th, 2012, 03:17 PM
A good starter for updos is the braided bun. Although the braiding may take a bit to figure out how to do with your length and layers, it IS do-able. There are helpful youtube videos you can watch of others who have similar issues as you might. Then wrap up into a bun, spiraling around and around, pinning AS YOU GO, not at the end. These type of buns can be held well with all manner of pins, and even hairsticks. Your hair length will likely do well with the Bees Butt Bun, which has seemingly fallen out of favor, as it's not overly mentioned anymore. But it's a fairly simple updo to create and you can secure it with a single long bobbypin or a hair stick. It might come out if you don't wrap tight enough after a few hours, but overall it stays pretty well. Be really sure to pin the very first coil with long bobbypins, securely, in an interlocking network under the hair, and be mindful of not asking the pin to hold a mountain of hair.

And it's easier for an updo to stay if the hair has a bit of stick, such as is the case after a few days of no hair washing, even one day of not hair washing helps....

Good luck. Wish I was there, I'd show you all kinds of stuff you can do....decorations and all. I do recommend Torrin Page videos on youtube, and youtube has mountains of hair updo videos. Just type in "long hair video" and off you go...

heidi w.

swearnsue
July 15th, 2012, 03:45 PM
If I braid my hair in 4 braids while wet and let it dry that way it gives my slippery fine hair a little bit of texture and it holds a little better and makes it look thicker too. The braids are comfortable to sleep in too so you can let it dry overnight.

Kaelee
July 15th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Flexi-8's are my friend. Also twisting my hair up in something that's a cross between a cinnamon bun and a peacock twist (I call it a peacock bun but there might be another bun by that name!).